• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Work of Directors... Jonze, Cunningham, Gondry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cripes. Just plunked down $55 for the box set of The Work of Directors Spike Jones, Chris Cunningham, and Michel Gondry. Wow.

Music vids and short films, the lot of it, but spectacular nonetheless. It's nifty to see what Jonze and Gondry did before their theatrical work. You can really see a lot of Eternal Sunshine in Gondry's work.

Lots of good stuff on the discs, and a bonus disc with the box set (couple more vids). Well worth the price of admission for any Jonze/Gondry fans. I don't know much about Cunningham, but I'm certain he must be fantastic to be in the box. Only grip is the double sided DVDs. For the price, I expected two single-sided. Ah well, still a good box to have.

Anyone else a fan/pick it up?

I bought them whenever they were originally released seperately, and I still throw them in and watch them from time to time. The Gondry DVD is ridiculously full of content.

How is the bonus DVD?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I bought the Jonze and Gondry discs a while back and rather enjoyed them. I might have to grab the Cunningham one eventually. I definitely enjoy having a solid selection of quality music videos available on DVD though. I'd love to see more sets for other directors and their music video, commercial and/or short film stuff, whatever they did outside of major features.

Jonnyram

I got all three but the Gondry disc is the one that has blown me away most. I hadn't seen the Kylie and Cibo Matto videos before but they are now two of my favourite promos ever.

ZootedGranny said:
How is the bonus DVD?

Really good. A couple more Jonze music vids, a couple more Gondry vids, and a Q+A with the directors. The extra music vid for Gondry is awesome. "I wonder" by The Willows is friggin' sweet, lots of imagination.

I ordered it 10 days ago, should be here in a few weeks (chose the free shipping, didn't look to see how long it'd take).

hyp

i have the spike jonze dvd. the fat lip video is off the hook. as well as his interview. i've seen the cunningham dvd as well and it blew me away.

box set get!

Jak140

I bought all three before the box set came out. Pisses me off that I can't get the bonus disc without repurchasing the set.

Triumph

Banned
The Gondry one is by far the best, and I actually like Cunningham's work more. The Gondry disc just has so much shit crammed into it that it's amazing. Plus it has those White Stripes videos, and they pretty much forcibly rape every video not named Come to Daddy or Windowlicker.

robox

what the hell is this stuff? spike jonze and michel gondry are my favourite video directors ever. i used to get annoyed as hell when their never recognized on any sort of audience on those so-called music channels

I watched some of the discs I had borrowed from a friend. My favorite was a short film from, I think, Gondry with David Cross as Gondry's shit that came alive. Atleast, I think it was david Cross...

olimario

Banned
I'm just glad so many others have seen the Gondry DVD. When I purchased it I wouldn't have thought many GAFers would be interested.

Triumph

Banned
Quadrophenic said:
I watched some of the discs I had borrowed from a friend. My favorite was a short film from, I think, Gondry with David Cross as Gondry's shit that came alive. Atleast, I think it was david Cross...
:lol :lol

Yeah, that was David Cross. And then Gondry woke up,
and Cross wasn't a piece of shit any more, but a Nazi instead. Which begs the question: which is more embarassing to hang around: a piece of shit or a Nazi?

r - b - x said:
what the hell is this stuff? spike jonze and michel gondry are my favourite video directors ever. i used to get annoyed as hell when their never recognized on any sort of audience on those so-called music channels

B0000AZT2X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

+

B0000DBJ9J.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

+

B0000DBJ9I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

+

Bonus Disc:
· Rarely seen music videos directed by Jonze for Weezer and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
· Spike Jonze’s short film excerpt, Invisible Boards
· Michel Gondry’s original short, Ossamuch! - Kishu & Co. and video for The Willowz
· Excerpts from an in-store panel featuring all three directors discussing the Director’s Label. Moderated by Ty Evans (director of Yeah Right!)

=

B00065AXTM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

robox

that. is. awesome.
now i gotta figure out how to get it... some of my friends still owe me christmas presents...

I've had the C Cunningham one for a while now. Really cool/disturbing/wierd stuff.

A big failing of the collection, however, is the lack of widescreen/anamorphic squeeze for the widescreen videos. For shame!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
windowlicker : "look at yo hair!"

i'd kill for the mark romanek dvd. it needs to be released. now.

edit : i'd also like to add that as i type this, the show 'the dark side of chimps' is beginning on the discovery channel. TV GOLD

FnordChan

I've got the Cunningham and Gondry discs, and will probably snag the Jonze disc before much longer. The Gondry disc is completely crammed full of goodness, but I don't love his videos the way I do Cunningham's. His volume is a bit slim at only 8 videos and a few other short items (including an art film that is, for some bizzare reason, truncated on the DVD release), but, god, I love those videos. Hell, I can't stand Bjork and I still get a kick out of the "All Is Full Of Love" video.

Shit, now I'm going to have to break down and buy the Jonze disc.

FnordChan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom