• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Endurance Championship |OT| 2015 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Looks like Porsche are getting the nerf stick next year, they are introducing a 1000HP limit.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/10/01/lmp1-cars-set-for-1000bhp-power-cap-in-safety-review/

Kind of understand, the closing speed between LMP1 and GT cars at Le Mans this year was getting pretty scary.
Booo. "This team is winning too much, lets nerf them!".

How much over the 1000bhp were they? Was it looking like the other teams were going to shoot for their power rating and they were just incapable this year?

Edit: Okay, so Porsche's website says the engine is ">500bhp" and the hybrid system ">400bhp". So maybe it's nerfing them in that any advancements they make with the engine for the 2016 car can't be in the engine performance range.

Edit #2: If this is anything to go by, it looks like Nissan and Toyota would take a hit, given the latter is right on 1000bhp and the former hits 1250bhp.

It seems like the 1000 BHP limit will only apply at Le Mans as it's only a FIA level 2 circuit unlike the other tracks which are Level 1.

Mastah

Going to have to record this one, impossible hours for us Euros :\.

I woke up at 2am and still missed most of it :/ I don't understand why it was scheduled together with Russian GP and Japanese MotoGP round, while last weekend I think there was nothing going on.

I woke up at 2am and still missed most of it :/ I don't understand why it was scheduled together with Russian GP and Japanese MotoGP round, while last weekend I think there was nothing going on.

WEC don't do races in a 2 week span, dunno if it's a logistical issue.
Russian GP didn't really affect WEC.

What happened?

Team orders.

#18 was in the lead, but #17 has a good chance of winning the drivers title.
#18 slowed down to let the #17 win.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDWjXRTPne8

Next race is the 6h of Shanghai, 30th October -1st November.

Mastah

Yeah, I checked sector times and they are so much quicker than in previous years. Was there any resurfacing work since Chinese GP in April?

Great battles between Porsche and Audi at the head of the field. The R18 has a sizeable edge in the wet, but the track seems to be drying ever so slowly, and the 919s are once again gaining pace.

Juicy Bob

Which goose decided it would be a good idea to have the race on Saturday and not Sunday?

That sort of thing should be banned.

WEBBBAHHHHHHHHHHH

And Timo and Brandon as well. Congratulations.

Le Mans, Drivers and Constructors. What a season for Porsche.

Great race, Wurz on the podium for his last race is also a great way to end the season.

Great to see the big guns at Volkswagen and Porsche at the track.

(Funny to see the new Volkswagen CEO, previous CEO of Porsche, at the Porsche pits).

Congratulations to Porsche for claiming both P1 and GT titles to cap a thoroughly dominant season. The 2015 919 is going to be remembered for some time.

Word is that the '16 R18 will make its public debut next Saturday (the 28th). Audi regained some of their characteristic form these last few races, and with the suspected spec of next year's car, (6MJ hybrid capacity with battery storage), it could well be a real thorn in Porsche's side.

Wibbah!

1448131679.jpg

Montoya on the 919 hydrid after the morning test:

Driving the same car which Mark Webber, Brendon Hartley and Timo Bernhard drove to world championship glory on Saturday evening, Montoya lapped in a respectable 1m43.174s on his first acquaintance on Sunday morning in Bahrain.

“First impression is that the car is amazing,” said Montoya. “It’s a helluva toy – that’s the best way to describe it. I’ve driven all kinds of cars and it’s a lot of fun.

“It’s got a lot of power, it’s really, really stable and it’s actually really easy to overdrive. It’s so predictable that it invites you to hustle the hell out of it.

“It’s shocking because it’s so good. It’s actually in a way easy, but because it’s easy, it’s easy to go over it [the limit].

“The car has a lot of understeer in it. I understood in the simulator everything that I had to do with the hybrid system, and it’s OK. I was shocking when they gave me a 30-page manual on how to drive the car! At McLaren we had a page of the buttons on the steering wheel, which all had letters. You had to remember which letter did what.

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/montoya-porsche-lmp1-is-so-good-its-shocking/

Can't wait to see the new Audi (nothing is publicly known at this point) and Toyota LMP1 contenders, and of course what Nissan does after the main architect of the project has left.

I know he might not secure a race deal for some time, (if it happens at all), but few things would make me happier than seeing JPM get a shot at the Triple Crown in the 919.

From his Instagram a couple of days back:

I'll never get tired of seeing the 919 light the afterburners, (and the glare of the Vantage's headlights off its wing endplates totally sells the image), and just streak off. It's a fucking rocketship.

Shaneus

I'm also hoping they continue the same subscription thing as this year for next. Do they offer delayed streaming as well? If I can watch the races at my own pace (given I'm in Australia and all the times are shit) I'd definitely go that option.

dubc35

I'm also hoping they continue the same subscription thing as this year for next. Do they offer delayed streaming as well? If I can watch the races at my own pace (given I'm in Australia and all the times are shit) I'd definitely go that option.
No delayed steaming this year. They cut the live coverage pretty quick too. Bahrain they showed a quick interview with Webbah and the lmp1 podium. (Only showed lmp1 podium for Le Mans as well)

New Audi R18 was presented this saturday:

CU7bJ0XWoAEKFIK.jpg:large

Still diesel, but 6MJ of power to deploy.

Both Audi and Porsche will run only 2 cars at the 24h of Le Mans.

The R18 hasn't been a proper looker since the TDI, but with 6MJ, this new one will be more than a handful for the 919; Toyota and Nissan better have some serious upgrades on deck as well.

The car looks sad. :(

Pity about no 3rd cars, no chance for Hulk to repeat. I understand though, with the amount of redress and fines coming, probably should be glad they didn't just cancel all motorsports activities.

Shaneus

I'm almost for it going in a generic 2015 thread, save maybe for LM24 which should get its own. If we have a generic WEC thread it'll get lumped in with Community and by the time Le Mans rolls around, there's zero visibility.

dubc35

I'm almost for it going in a generic 2015 thread, save maybe for LM24 which should get its own. If we have a generic WEC thread it'll get lumped in with Community and by the time Le Mans rolls around, there's zero visibility.

Yeah, it's difficult to figure out the correct breakout. A dedicated LM24 thread is always good. Besides that, it's basically F1 and then all others get lumped into the Motorsports thread. I created the 2014 motorsports thread. There didn't seem to be a need for a 2015 one (it's mostly ongoing discussion) so I never brought it up in there. The start of 2016 could be a good time to start a new thread encompassing all sans F1 and maybe not date it as the 2016 thread. If we decide to go for a new thread I don't have time to create it so anyone interested, go for it (mine was rather shit anyway lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom