• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Worst I've Ever Seen'; Fires Sweep Through Southeastern U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
NPR

"No one can remember a wildfire as peculiar as the monster gnawing through the gorge above the village of Chimney Rock," began an article Monday in the Charlotte Observer.

The blaze in question is one of dozens of partially contained wildfires, some of them suspected cases of arson, burning across the Southeast. In Alabama alone, there are currently 20 fires burning, and more than 1,500 blazes have burned there since October 1, according to the Alabama Forestry Commission.

People are being evacuated in North Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee, including in and around Chimney Rock, N.C., where the erratic fire described in the Observer has enveloped some 3,000 acres since Saturday, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

As of Monday afternoon, that blaze was only 15 percent contained.

"This fire has the characteristics of western fires, of California fires," Richard Barnwell, the 74-year-old fire chief for the town of Bat Cave, N.C., told the Observer. "This is the worst I've ever seen."

Stay safe Southern GAF!

Toxi

Banned
Colorado's also been dealing with fires, though thankfully nothing this big yet. It's been a horribly hot and dry year for much of the nation.

Stay safe Tennessee, I know a few people who live there.

SexyFish

Banned
The irony of University of Tennessee's mascot being named Smokey and the haze of smoke surrounding our campus is lovely.

There was smoke lining the highways near where I live in Alabama. It was wild.

I guess, in retrospect, it's a good thing that we got record rainfall the first part of the year.

Revolver

Got up yesterday to a haze of smoke and the smell of burning brush in the air. Turn on the TV and there was an air quality advisory. I live north of Nashville and it was pretty spooky.

Downhome

I live in upstate SC and we have been covered in smoke for days now. My wife and I drove up to NC over the weekend to visit her parents and it's very smoky in the Smoky Mountains for sure. I think it may be worse here in SC though, being blown down our way. You can literally go outside, move your arms, and "swim" through the smoke in many places. They say that many of these fires may rage all the way through MARCH.

This is our reality right now...

IHkonyV.jpg

dyko50L.jpg

Nothing like a good batch of forest fires to provide an apocalyptic atmosphere after last Tuesday. The haze has been around since late last week here in Athens and doesn't show any sign of letting up.

The GSMNP is my weekend playground, and I live in Knoxville. The air quality is awful in Knoxville, and they are advising people not to do strenuous hikes in the Smokies. Also someone started a fire up near the summit of the Chimneys over the weekend (had to be a smoker or it was deliberate).

Aranjah

Huh. Somehow I didn't know this was going on despite being in Alabama. Well, judging by the map, I'm not close to any of them, so thank goodness for that.

It's because the US is officially turning into Hell after last week.

Stay safe my SE GAF, especially GA GAF. Been hearing stories from my friends in metro Atlanta, and it doesn't sound like anyone needs to be outside in that shit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Stay safe my SE GAF, especially GA GAF. Been hearing stories from my friends in metro Atlanta, and it doesn't sound like anyone needs to be outside in that shit.

People try to say it's no big deal, but no health professional is gonna tell people it's good to be out in this.

Xe4

Banned
NM had a fee big fires this year. Was nothing like in years before when half our state was on fire though.

Did think one of my parents friends houses was gonna burn down. Luckily it didn't, haha.

The southern and western US are going to be hit with drought, mostly due to AGW in the coming years. It's gonna put a big strain on the US's checkbook fighting the fires and staving off water concerns. Gonna be an intresting next 20 years, cause around then is when we're seriously going to have to consider the rising water, which will already be effecting places like Miami and New Orleans.

But fuck all that, we're pulling out of the Paris accords! : (

Downhome

You can blame the dryness on climate change, but the result of this wasn't a misplaced ember from a innocent campfire. It's being investigated as arson.

I believe there is some nut or group of nuts running around setting fires, authorities believe that also.

Before these wildfires broke out we had a guy (or group of guys) here in upstate SC that went up our main road in town and was intentionally setting fires to multiple businesses, cars, trash dumpsters, and so on. All of the fire departments in the area had to respond and it was pure madness. Something is going on for sure.

Lots of smoke in north Roswell yesterday. Today doesn't look as bad though. Had to buy my wife more allergy medicine yesterday.
Feel bad for people with asthma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom