• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The worst thing about Nintendo Switch Online (NES & SNES)

Cutty Flam

Banned
Is that it is barely 'online'

You cannot play any of the games with anyone like 99.9% of the time. You have to have:

A) A friends lists stacked to the max with friends who play oldschool NES and SNES games, and often

B) A friends list with a lot of people you know irl, to text when you want to play because it is doubtful they will be playing the NES and SNES online games

Why doesn't Nintendo offer a matchmaking server for their fans that will allow them to play these games with others / co-op?

Cutty Flam

Banned
It’s like they intentionally offer the worst possible service that barely qualifies as ‘online’ to their loyal and paying customers. Maybe their sole focus is to push the actual Switch games but still, why would they put out such a dismal online server and online system in the first place if they want people to buy their online NES/SNES service and play these games more with others as it is an option? There’s more money in creating a solid product. Plus, what about the people who actually thought they were going to be playing online with others? It’s practically impossible. Is Nintendo content with their dissatisfaction in this area of gaming, or are they indifferent? It’s difficult to determine which

Take this for example: A player who doesn’t have any friends with a Nintendo Switch, the desire to play online co-op with some of these games is almost an impossible feat for such a player. At the very least, it would a very daunting effort to try to, eventually, find someone to play with considering the 10+ digit friend code system as well as the fact thay Nintendo doesn’t encourage messaging, inviting others to games. That person would have fill his friend’s list up with hundreds of retro gamers who play NES/SNES and hope they are both online when he is, playing a game he likes, as well as agree to play co-op when he sends out an invite to play. There’s no guarantee they even accept the invite. It’s all a major disservice and a huge waste of time

Have owned the Nintendo Switch for 25 months in total now, and I have never once played online in these NES and SNES games because Nintendo has nearly 100% fucked over their customers’ chances to even do so. To make this happen one would basically have to beg a friend you know IRL to play a few games through text or over the phone to finally have an opportunity to use the NES/SNES online. Nobody’s gonna do that. Nobody plays these oldschool games at length usually, only a very small percentage out there

Nintendo is lofty and underhanded in what they will offer to their paying customers when it comes to online services. This is not an opinion, it’s clear as day. Look at what was done in the early 2000s with Microsoft’s Xbox Live. Look at what Nintendo is doing in 2004. They’re almost wholly incompetent in this regard

Meesh

The only thing Switch had going for it was it was dockable and you've got that first party stuff, which for me meant Zelda, Mario Kart and animal crossing. They've got some gems on the eshop buuuut...

Now we've got Steam Deck. The stuff I love on the eshop I already own on Steam. The SD is dockable, plus like I mentioned off hand in the VC thread you can no doubt make your own VC lol. The only big thing missing is Zelda!! Lol Seriously I could pull out from Nintendo boxes all together if there was a heavy Zelda competitor!!! Steam Deck... dream come true for me at this point.

jigglet

Banned
I remember being blown away when I read an interview with them about the development of Wii U, they said they didn't even know how parties and stuffed worked and had to buy a 360 to understand what it was people were even doing with each other online. It shocked me that they were THAT ignorant about what the online landscape looked like.

Completely tone deaf and with very little appetite to change. That's Nintendo with online.

(also remember when Wii U content was very slow and they said they were surprised at how much more work was required to develop in HD? It was literally the same complaint PS3 / 360 devs had many years prior...they pay zero attention to what happens out there, for better or for worse)

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
It's the single worst value in gaming. Buying superman for n64 at $60 is a better value. Buying $80 controllers that break and feel like garbage is a better value (which the switch offers). Nintendo online has nothing going for it and they deserve no praise for making something worse than what the xbox had in 2006. It's consistently awful and somehow worse than what the WiiU and 3DS had. When nintendo figures out how to move beyond their two tin cups and string setup it might be time for the switch 3 in 2050 which might run games at a native 720p 30fps. Absolute garbage.

e&e

Banned
The only thing Switch had going for it was it was dockable and you've got that first party stuff, which for me meant Zelda, Mario Kart and animal crossing. They've got some gems on the eshop buuuut...

Now we've got Steam Deck. The stuff I love on the eshop I already own on Steam. The SD is dockable, plus like I mentioned off hand in the VC thread you can no doubt make your own VC lol. The only big thing missing is Zelda!! Lol Seriously I could pull out from Nintendo boxes all together if there was a heavy Zelda competitor!!! Steam Deck... dream come true for me at this point.
Did you bump the wrong thread?

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
How would matchmaking work? Who would be the player one? Who gets to decide the mode? Can you change games? I get that ports of classic fighting games does that, but I don't think this would work with randoms. To pull this off, it needs to be a friend of yours. Otherwise won't work.

nintendo know they dont have to do any of that. just release a few pokemon games along with mario kart and smash bros and they're set. they always do the bare minimum.

Kokoloko85

Pretty sure Nintendo would of made alot more money having a virtual console and selling each game.

No idea why Nintendo doesnt do this and why Sony doesn’t have the PS1/PS2 games that are available on the PSP, Vita and PS3… Money to be made

MrA

Pretty sure Nintendo would of made alot more money having a virtual console and selling each game.

No idea why Nintendo doesnt do this and why Sony doesn’t have the PS1/PS2 games that are available on the PSP, Vita and PS3… Money to be made
it is odd Like all three ps2 fatal frames are on the ps3, but none on ps4, what does it cost to leave them available to download? with Nintendo it makes even less sense since the images are smaller
though it is funny that now the vc was the best thing ever even though when it was contemporary Nintendo was obnoxious about trickling out releases while charging 5 dollars for nes games , 8 for snes and 10 for nintendo 64, and they absolutely NEVER did sales back then

Ceadeus

Gold Member
No matchmaking sucks, it feels like being in 2005 again, wishing your favorite PSP game would play online instead of Adhoc only.

Nintendo are terrible in that department

Back with the Wii and WiiU I was happy with buying Virtual Console games because they weren’t ridiculously priced (some argue they were overpriced). I was fine getting old favorites legally that way.

One of the biggest reasons I didn’t get the Switch yet is because they don’t have a real VC system. The Switch should have a VC that lets you transfer your VC purchases from WiiU (WiiU had something like that in regards to Wii VC games); it’s the least they could’ve done for WiiU owners. The fucking least they could’ve done.

Instead the VC is locked behind their shitty online service that people only buy for Smash and Mario Kart online no, and you don’t even get to keep the VC games if you discontinue the service.

Since they started doing that I’ve had no problem hacking my WiiU and 3DS to play as many emulated games as I want. Fuck current Nintendo.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I remember when they first started charging they literally said ‘yeah we know it’s shit but we’ll improve it so it’s worth the money’ - looks like they realised people would pay for shit so they didn’t have to improve anything.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Probably because if they amp up $5 legacy games too much or NES/SNES freebies, some people will focus on them and hardly buy modern games which cost more and have tons of microtrans.

Kokoloko85

Probably because if they amp up $5 legacy games too much or NES/SNES freebies, some people will focus on them and hardly buy modern games which cost more and have tons of microtrans.
I get that but people who want to buy modern games won’t stop because they buy some nes and snes games. I bought plenty of PS3 games day 1 while still buying classics. Same when I had a Wii and Wii U

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Switch online is worthless imo.
Unless you want to play mario kart, Tetris 99 or Splatoon 2.
They made sure you won't play any third party fighters on the device as you can't even invite friends you meet on the game to games
Hell it lacks basic social features to even ask if they would like to play.
It is beyond frustrating especially when I could see other players I've met on the game playing blazblue.

Top Bottom