• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Writing-GAF Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
At the behest of Writer-GAF, I'm creating this thread. The goal here is to give you an idea of the work that will need to be done, mostly by you, should you decide to go the self-publishing or traditional publishing routes. It's also going to, hopefully, help you not make an ass of yourself. The purpose of this thread is for writers to help writers, so keep it positive. Jackassery won't be tolerated.

So, how do you start out?

Self-Publishing

1. Write the damn book. This sounds asinine, I know, but many writers never actually finish their book. If you want to self-publish you'll need to force yourself to sit down and actually write it.

2. Okay, so you finished the book. Fuck yeah! Now what? You have several options at this point.
  • Jump straight into edits. Go back over the entire novel and fix up grammar/spelling errors, plot holes, and general inconsistencies in your writing.
  • Join a website, such as Critique Circle and submit your work for critiquing. This will get you valuable feedback from other, more experienced writers, which can help you advance as a writer. It's also free.
  • Invest several thousand dollars into an professional editor who will do most everything for you.

Note: If you guys want me to critique your work on Critique Circle, feel free to send me a PM. My critiques are straight to the point, sometimes kind of blunt, but I'll be truthful and constructive in my feedback so you can expect to learn something.

3. Editing is done, woohoo! Time to pub-- not quite. Now, it's time to get some beta readers. The point behind this is to release your book to a small, concentrated group of readers that are a fan of your genre. There's tons of them on the internet, but you can easily find them in places like LibraryThing or GoodReads. These readers will then give you feedback on the novel and if you're satisfied with the results, you can consider the manuscript finished. This means that you need to stop editing it. No, really. Stop editing. Some people can't ever get past the editing phase. If the results are unsatisfactory, then of course, you would go back to the drawing board.

4. Marketing. Yes, you want to start this before the book comes out. Contact bloggers to arrange blog tours, reviews, interviews, etc. You're going to want to get hype out on sites, prepare a press release and distribute it using a free or paid service like prweb or send2press. The more hype you generate before the book comes out, the greater your sales will be.

5. Now, if you're up to this point - the manuscript is done. Congratulations, you've passed a milestone that many writers never achieve. So, now it's time to get your cover ready. This is one of the most important parts of the book. If your cover looks like shit, everyone will assume your book is shit too. If you have the skills to do a cover yourself you'll be able to save a lot of money; if not, then prepare to fork out some cash for a professional artist. My cover, for example, cost me $500.00. That may be a bit steep for some of you, though. There are artists that will do it for cheaper, but the quality and talent tends to vary greatly. I recommend going to sites like DeviantArt in order to find an artist that matches your style and budget.

6. Once the cover is done you'll need a catchy blurb that will appear on the back cover (if doing paperback) or on the sites that you plan on listing the novel in ebook format. This, for many authors, is one of the hardest parts of writing; they need to somehow compose a 200 - 400 word blurb about their book that makes it sound exciting and unique from other books in their genre. It can take a lot of tweaking to get this right, so I recommend you head back to sites like Critique Circle to get some help and feedback on this.

7. The manuscript is complete, the book cover is done, and you have the blurb just the way you want it. Rock on. It's time to put it all together at the site of your choice. There are many options available, but I'll list a few here. I recommend researching each to see the costs/benefits and which will suit you best.

I'm only listing the most popular ones here which have no real upfront costs and will get your book(s) out to the widest audience. 95%, or more, of your sales will be on Amazon. For paperback, you'll need to buy a proof copy, but otherwise there's no cost you at all from either Lulu or CreateSpace.

8. Pricing your novel is now the last part you need to worry about. If you're listing it in ebook format, the pricing should depend on the length. However, you do need to take into consideration the fact that you're likely an unknown author that nobody has ever heard of. I listed my book at an initial price point of $0.99, for example, and then raised it up to $2.99 (it's still selling at that) and this is a 114,000 word novel. A lot of people frown on $0.99 novels, as they have a certain stigma of being terribly written books filled with grammar and spelling errors, up to the point of being unreadable. So, take that into consideration.

9. The book is listed and you're now ready for people to start buying it. Now what? Well, if you did the marketing that I recommended earlier they should already be homing in on it and buying it. If not, then you're going to want to go into marketing overload and get as many bloggers and reviewers on board. Also, if you can somehow get onto a radio show do that; radio sells books more than anything else for some reason. Make use of social media, such as twitter, facebook, etc. You want to gain followers.

Important: Some authors go around to various communities and spam their books. This will not sell your books. You're much better off mingling with the people in the community and getting to know them. Odds are they'll take an interest in you and your book(s) naturally.

Try not to hover over the refresh button that tracks your sales. You might not even get any in the first week. There are people that sell just a few copies of their novel after it's been released; don't be surprised if this happens to you. Some people get addicted to this and depressed when they're not suddenly selling thousands of copies of their books. Remember, you're a drop in the bucket in the book world. You need to build a name for yourself. How do you do that? Keep writing and releasing books. The more books you have out, the more likely someone will find and read them. If they like what they read then they'll probably buy your other books too. So, keep that in mind.

This is a process that never really ends. You need to keep writing and marketing. Publishing agencies have entire teams that do the above, yet as a self-published writer you're basically electing to do all of this yourself. It's a lot of work, but it can greatly pay off in the end if you dedicate yourself to it and, of course, are a good author.

So, let's say you want to go the traditional route. Here's what you can expect.

Traditional Publishing

1. Write the damn book. Seriously, this step never changes.

2. Edit the book extensively. You want the book in a completed state before you ever query an agent or editor. Send them your best work; this is your first, and possibly, only impression you'll get to make.

3.Research, research, research. Find agents/editors that specialize in the genre you are writing in and make sure you're adhering to the guidelines laid out on their site by your query. Compile a list of contacts and make sure it's accurate. Do not call a Mr a Mrs, or spell their name wrong. They hate that. For some examples of how bad writers fuck up, check out Slushpile Hell. The shit you're reading on there is from actual queries.

4. Got your list? Good. Write your query. This, much like the blurb, needs to be written in a way that will make the reader want to actually open your book. You're selling your book here. The whole thing is generally about as long, 200 - 500 words, but it's the first sentence that's most important. Draw your reader in with something that sets your book apart from the slush; and then have the query critiqued before you send it out. You want this to be perfect.

5. Querying agents/editors is a time consuming process. You want to tailor each query towards that specific agent/editor. I'm not going to tell you how to do this as there is literally thousands of articles available at your fingertips with a simple google search that will tell you exactly how to write a query letter. Adding just a touch of personalization goes a long way with them. I advise you to do about 25 at a time to gauge the response to your query. If you get no requests for even a partial of your manuscript then you may want to tweak the query and try the next batch.

6.Rejection. It's going to happen. You might even pass 100 rejections and be no further than you were previously. Remember, the people you're querying have to think that they can make money off your book. If they don't think it'll sell then no matter how good the book is, you probably will end up with a rejection letter (or in some cases no response at all).

7. The waiting game. When waiting for agents/editors to respond don't constantly email them. If they have a specific period on their website, which most do, that states when it's OK to check on the status of your query then wait until that time has come lest you invoke their fury. Don't call them at their office, follow them home, or drug their cupcakes. It's not going to get your book published. Some people wait up to a year, or in some rare cases, even longer for a response.

8. Okay, so 2 years of your life have passed by and you finally get an offer from an agent. Time to fucking celebrate. But, wait - your book still hasn't actually sold. It's now up to the agent to find a publisher that will buy your book and cut you a fat royalty check. Sometimes they fail, and then you end up starting the process over. If that's the case, return to step #5. Or, step #2 in case you feel that you need to further improve the book to get it to sell.

What if you don't make it? What if you can't get an agent/publisher? Well, your only other option is to self-publish, or become an Indie author as we're called now. There used to be a stigma over self-publishing, that it was just a dumping ground for crappy books. This is no longer the case; in fact, it's become much more respected thanks to authors stepping up to the plate and improving their game. There's many fantastic Indie books out there, and some authors have had great success with their novels and are sitting on fat royalty checks with all the middlemen cut out. This is, of course, not the norm. But, it can certainly happen.

Editing: A professional editor can take you a long way. Here's a list of some respectable editors that I recommend (for those who have the budget).

Okay, Writer-GAF; here's your mega thread. There's still a lot of things you'll need to do the foot work on yourself, but feel free to ask questions in here if anything comes up.

I'm pretty sure 99% of GAF won't give a shit about this thread, but hopefully someone finds it useful.

lv36k.jpg

I have a sci-fi noir novel out on Amazon, and is also in paperback on Amazon as well.

"The Dream Metropolis is a science fiction novel that posits the idea of dreams becoming reality, and reality fading away into obscurity. It explores the relationship people have between their real lives and the escape that only dreams can provide.

Inspired by Inception, The Dream Metropolis delves deeper into the mechanics of dreaming, all inside of an abstract, ever-changing city of dreams. The people inside this artificial dream world see everything before them as real, even though they do not know they are dreaming of each other, of other real people.

They are part of a project that works to exploit their limitless, dreaming imagination in an attempt to separate the mind from the body forever, to create a real world inside of the mind.

Although, not everyone wants to dream forever."

It's a self-published novel. It's currently being worked on for a stellar 2nd edition, but I've heard positive impressions about the novel in its current state including such comments as "cerebral and Kafkaesque", "truly epic storytelling", and "psychedelic."

1stStrike: You should put in the OP that if a reader has issues or critiques of anyone's novel talked about here, they should go to PMs rather than shit up le thread about it.

1stStrike

Banned
1stStrike: You should put in the OP that if a reader has issues or critiques of anyone's novel talked about here, they should go to PMs rather than shit up le thread about it.

Done. The main purpose of this thread is to help one another out, not to promote novels per-say, so I don't expect a lot of that.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
I plan to self publish my nanowrimo novel within a year or two, after extensive rewriting, rerewriting, and maybe a little dewriting, so I definitely appreciate this thread.

1stStrike

Banned
You're welcome. If I think of anything else to add, or if there's something else you'd like to see added, let me know. Also, any questions or requests for critiques/beta readers are fine in here too.

Just remember, doing all of this stuff won't make you a good writer. You can follow all of the above perfectly and still put out a shitty novel. Whether you succeed or not all depends on how well you execute step #1.

bengraven

I still need to figure out how my NaNo novel will come full circle and more importantly what the main villain's motive is. Right now he's a parody of the land baron from old westerns, but considering it's a post-modern western/fantasy novel that makes sense in a way.

I only put my novel up to show that there are people self-publishing here.

It's okay. We all love you.

1stStrike

Banned
I only put my novel up to show that there are people self-publishing here.

No worries. I'm totally cool with people posting up their novels. It's good to see all of this effort come together!

I still need to figure out how my NaNo novel will come full circle and more importantly what the main villain's motive is. Right now he's a parody of the land baron from old westerns, but considering it's a post-modern western/fantasy novel that makes sense in a way.

It's okay. We all love you.

That's what editing is for. I have a couple of writer friends who will cut out thousands of words during their edits and re-arrange things. I'm the opposite, myself; I tend to need to add more, so I end up increasing my word count by about 10k - 20k.

I have a feeling that book 2 will end up just about where I need it in word length on the first draft, though. Edits will be just to fix grammar errors and plot holes.

Thanks 1stStrike for creating this. I'm definitely going to use this information in the future when I start editing my NaNoWriMo novel.

1stStrike

Banned
For those interested in what a press release looks like for a novel, mine just went live. Check it out here.

And it's already been picked up by The Darkleian here.

Should be interesting to see how well it does and how many media outlets pick up the story.

Having a press release for a novel you've written has to be the best feeling ever. Especially considering it's your first novel

Trigunner

I've been working on a memoir and this morning my father emailed me letting me know a few of his contacts in the publishing industry will take a look at it. It'll be nice to have people in the know determine if my book is commercially viable, but if I receive bad news, I'm not sure how well I'll take it.

It all depends on how you market it. An attractive cover, good web presence (i.e., talk to book blogs and review blogs), and good writing will do you wonders.

Trigunner

I believe I have a great hook, but it may be too unorthodox. I thought perhaps after my dad read the draft, he would've said that he couldn't let others know that his son wrote it. We'll see what happens.

LordCanti

You're welcome. If I think of anything else to add, or if there's something else you'd like to see added, let me know. Also, any questions or requests for critiques/beta readers are fine in here too.

Just remember, doing all of this stuff won't make you a good writer. You can follow all of the above perfectly and still put out a shitty novel. Whether you succeed or not all depends on how well you execute step #1.

You wrote a novel? This is what you're doing instead of playing BF3 with us?

smh

I believe I have a great hook, but it may be too unorthodox. I thought perhaps after my dad read the draft, he would've said that he couldn't let others know that his son wrote it. We'll see what happens.

The point of self-publishing is to market unorthodox novels that wouldn't make it traditionally. That's why traditional publishing is plummeting.

Ugh.......need to finish my novel. However I am currently an English major and I have way too much writing to do as is......maybe someday /sigh.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Ugh.......need to finish my novel. However I am currently an English major and I have way too much writing to do as is......maybe someday /sigh.

English major too, and I find that writing fiction a nice break from writing paper after paper about how Judith Butler thinks testicles don't exist or something. You're probably just making up excuses to prevent yourself from doing what you want.

bengraven

No worries. I'm totally cool with people posting up their novels. It's good to see all of this effort come together!

That's what editing is for. I have a couple of writer friends who will cut out thousands of words during their edits and re-arrange things. I'm the opposite, myself; I tend to need to add more, so I end up increasing my word count by about 10k - 20k.

I have a feeling that book 2 will end up just about where I need it in word length on the first draft, though. Edits will be just to fix grammar errors and plot holes.

I already know I'm cutting out large chunks. I almost did during NaNo, which is not only "against the rules" but not helping my word count much. heh I already have a few more subplots to add to flesh out characters and make the world more dynamic.

I feel as if every chapter needs to be awesome and I need to remove the parts I find boring...like long exposition dialogue instead of short, polished and impactful dialogue.

As for my second draft - I'm thinking I may just open a new document and literally cut and paste the parts I like, rearrange and form new chapters, then write between the lines as a glue to strengthen it.

1stStrike

Banned
I already know I'm cutting out large chunks. I almost did during NaNo, which is not only "against the rules" but not helping my word count much. heh I already have a few more subplots to add to flesh out characters and make the world more dynamic.

I feel as if every chapter needs to be awesome and I need to remove the parts I find boring...like long exposition dialogue instead of short, polished and impactful dialogue.

As for my second draft - I'm thinking I may just open a new document and literally cut and paste the parts I like, rearrange and form new chapters, then write between the lines as a glue to strengthen it.

While every chapter doesn't need to be "awesome", it does need to be compelling enough to get the reader to turn to the next page.

Aaron

The thing that's nagging me right now is how long should the novel I'm working on be in total. I know it can vary wildly due to subject and other stuff, but there have be some vague limits where a book feels too abrupt or too damned long.

Goody

For a Mega Thread, there's certainly a lack of attention paid to anything outside of the novel, which there's too many of today.

I've got a handful of short stories I've been working on, and I think I'm finally about ready to start sending them out for publication. I've got three stories that have been read by about a dozen people each. Out of those, half of the feedback is decent, but I know what I need to do with them. I'm ready for my rejection slips.

1stStrike

Banned
The thing that's nagging me right now is how long should the novel I'm working on be in total. I know it can vary wildly due to subject and other stuff, but there have be some vague limits where a book feels too abrupt or too damned long.

I follow quite a few agents/editors on twitter and one of them answered this the other day, actually, in regards to fantasy. They like about 110,000 - 120,000 words per book, max. This is for several factors, but one of them is due to limited shelf space. There's just enough room for 1,000 page books anymore.

For a Mega Thread, there's certainly a lack of attention paid to anything outside of the novel, which there's too many of today.

I've got a handful of short stories I've been working on, and I think I'm finally about ready to start sending them out for publication. I've got three stories that have been read by about a dozen people each. Out of those, half of the feedback is decent, but I know what I need to do with them. I'm ready for my rejection slips.

All of that advice applies to short stories too. You still have to write it. You still have to edit it, write up a query, etc. Even a collection of short stories needs to be pitched to a agent/editor, just the same as a novel.

I have a short story published and the process was exactly the same; just a whole lot shorter since it was only like 3,000 words, so I breezed through everything.

I fear that I'm falling out of love of writing short fiction due to my enjoyment of writing screenplays. Well, not fear, but I want to enjoy writing fiction as much!

Goody

All of that advice applies to short stories too. You still have to write it. You still have to edit it, write up a query, etc. Even a collection of short stories needs to be pitched to a agent/editor, just the same as a novel.

I have a short story published and the process was exactly the same; just a whole lot shorter since it was only like 3,000 words, so I breezed through everything.

My issue isn't with the lack of short stories being mentioned in the OP. It's with novels being held up too much as a literary ideal.

That said, anyone looking to publish short stories should check out their local bookstores magazine section and see what might be right for them. Most places'll carry the usual Paris Review, Zoetrope All-Story, etc; whatever small school journals (The Pinch, Georgia Review, etc); and your other magazines that carry a short story every month: Playboy, The New Yorker, Harper's, etc.

The Council of Literary Magazines is a wonderful resource for finding magazines and Duotrope is a great resource for finding contests.

Just remember that novels are things of necessity and if you're arbitrarily writing a novel because, well, you feel like that's the form it has to take, you should really take a second look at what you're doing. Editing is more than grammar, deadwood, etc. Sometimes it's about finding out what the story is really about and cutting out what you don't need, even if it means cutting out a few thousand words.

I think it's more the fact that novels are much more common than short story collections. Not that one is more ideal, or anything, but that it's addressing the majority vs. the minority.

Goody

It's absolutely going to be a personal choice what medium you work in, and neither is inherently better than any other, but I think it's unfortunate that the novel is pushed so much harder as the form one should write in. I'm sure that helps novels be the majority.

ronito

I has a question.
I'm working on several projects and one problem that I have is that I might be on one computer versus another, and some computers can't access google docs. What other choices do I have to store my work online and work on it online?

It's absolutely going to be a personal choice what medium you work in, and neither is inherently better than any other, but I think it's unfortunate that the novel is pushed so much harder as the form one should write in. I'm sure that helps novels be the majority.

I think it's also the fact that the novel takes a level of thought beyond the short story, on some level; yes, it's better to have a good short story than a bloated, mediocre novel, but writing a good novel requires clear, sustained creative energy/insight and the ability to perceive patterns and connections over a larger space. Writing a good ANYTHING is hard, though, of course, and I don't mean to demean the short story as a literary form. But, I don't think it's demeaning to say that most who can write a good novel could probably also write a good short story, while the reverse is probably not true in nearly as many cases.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Short story collections don't tend to sell as well as novels. That's why book two of The Witcher was skipped by the official publisher in the US. (They claim they only did part one due to the game tie in.)

Short stories can be great, but that's what's driving the bias.

Jintor

Appreciated, though I won't be heavily into it for a few years yet I suspect (step one is pretty damn hard)

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Subscribed.

I kind of drifted away from writing short fiction as much because I started writing way more screenplays, but I'm interested in seeing what people are doing.

Congrats, Zephyr. I'm giong to buy your book and read it. Sounds interesting and I'm currently have a dreams as more than dreams fetish, so it looks like it will fit my tastes. That cover is gorgeous, by the way.

Subscribed.

I kind of drifted away from writing short fiction as much because I started writing way more screenplays, but I'm interested in seeing what people are doing.

Congrats, Zephyr. I'm giong to buy your book and read it. Sounds interesting and I'm currently have a dreams as more than dreams fetish, so it looks like it will fit my tastes. That cover is gorgeous, by the way.

Thanks! My cover artist is a fellow college undergrad who just whipped it up in a couple days and I was blown away.

1stStrike

Banned
I has a question.
I'm working on several projects and one problem that I have is that I might be on one computer versus another, and some computers can't access google docs. What other choices do I have to store my work online and work on it online?

I use dropbox. You can either install it on a computer to sync everything up, or just login to the web portal and download files off it. Either way works.

Dropbox even saves previous versions of the files.

And you can upload the work when you're done working on it if you're just using the web portal.

However, you can't actually edit your work online. Really, the best online editor to go with is google docs, so if that's what you want to stick with, then you may just need to deal with it.

---

@Pushing novels: There's far more people writing novels than anything else, but the advice is useful for all of it. I'm not trying to alienate any other medium, just giving advice that is generally useful all around.

Besides, you really only have short stories, novellas and novels. That's it. What you end up writing depends on word length. So, you could intend to write a novella and end up with a novel, or vice versa. In the end, what the author wants is up to them. If someone wants to write a novel, let them write a damn novel.

English major too, and I find that writing fiction a nice break from writing paper after paper about how Judith Butler thinks testicles don't exist or something. You're probably just making up excuses to prevent yourself from doing what you want.

Well aren't you a bright ray of sunshine...........

youdontknowme.gif

I can't spend that much time in front of a screen or I get terrible headaches. I literally cannot type enough to do both. I reserve working on my novel for between semesters.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Great idea for this thread, I shall make great use of it if others are checking it too. I have a new short story and a poem that I'd like to post when I give them another pass, hope someone can pass judgement on them? I will do the same as well for others certainly.

Aaron

I follow quite a few agents/editors on twitter and one of them answered this the other day, actually, in regards to fantasy. They like about 110,000 - 120,000 words per book, max. This is for several factors, but one of them is due to limited shelf space. There's just enough room for 1,000 page books anymore.
Thanks, and thanks for the thread. It's already helped me focus what I've been working on that will hopefully become a publish-worthy novel in some months.

Salazar

Great thread, hopefully we can get this little community burgeoning with all the writers around GAF!

Editor-Gaffer is available. Bearded, more or less in shape, pro bono.

The only non-academic thing I will be writing is an extremely long-form travel essay early next year.

Ashes

Banned
Editor-Gaffer is available. Bearded, more or less in shape, pro bono.

The only non-academic thing I will be writing is an extremely long-form travel essay early next year.

Fancy reading a nanowrimo novel hot off the presses?

I urge you not to. I have literally not changed a single word, or corrected a mistake, other then at the time of writing. It is foul writing pure and simple. :p

This brings up a good point. Perhaps, we should get people to read after a thorough revision or at least a second or third draft.

edit: one person read my work! Success. A poor friend doing her duty.
She said (close enough): "don't publish it. I know you distance your self from your work so it stands alone, and it is the characters flawed logic etc but... I know that. Others may not. This isn't stuff, you want to put your name to."

I know it's criticism and very negative at that, but a person read ma rubbish book. And she said she wouldn't! :p

Wurst

I'm really proud of my Nano-Novel but I'd never want to publish it ever. It has some nice ideas but no. I don't even want my family to read it. And they were asking already.
I will get it printed and make a book of it though. Probably through the createspace offer. Hope my fam won't snatch it off my shelf and read it.

I'll probably have my best buddy read it. At least for any feedback whatsoever.

Subscribed this for later :)

Wilbur

Banned
Great thread, I've always wanted to write and have shoved so many ideas on the backburner through the years. Doing English Lit/Creative Writing at uni and during a seminar, an idea just hit me.

Written two and a half chapters of it, edited, re-edited, had a friend read it but I think the problem so far is that while I've set in motion the catalyst for the plot, what it's actually about hasn't been mentioned yet, and I'd love for an impartial opinion from someone to tell me where I'm going right and wrong and whether they'd carry on reading. Where do we do this, PM on here or should I join that Critique Circle?

Sorry to bounce on and ask people to read stuff, genuinely if they ever get the spare time and fancy giving some constructive criticism. It's great to see a few of you have published. If I buy your books on Amazon, can I read them on iBooks?

1stStrike

Banned
Great thread, I've always wanted to write and have shoved so many ideas on the backburner through the years. Doing English Lit/Creative Writing at uni and during a seminar, an idea just hit me.

Written two and a half chapters of it, edited, re-edited, had a friend read it but I think the problem so far is that while I've set in motion the catalyst for the plot, what it's actually about hasn't been mentioned yet, and I'd love for an impartial opinion from someone to tell me where I'm going right and wrong and whether they'd carry on reading. Where do we do this, PM on here or should I join that Critique Circle?

Sorry to bounce on and ask people to read stuff, genuinely if they ever get the spare time and fancy giving some constructive criticism. It's great to see a few of you have published. If I buy your books on Amazon, can I read them on iBooks?

The Critique Circle route is a reliable method to get great feedback on your writing. You submit a chapter to a queue and it usually will come up after a week (you'll have to do a couple of critiques first to earn credits). Then, people will critique your writing. If you have a short story, or if it's chapter 1 of something, you'll usually get a lot more people checking it out and critiquing it.

Their system is great because of the inline editor that lets critiquers leave comments right there for you inline - and you can also view all of the comments that have been left by critiquers inline as well. Makes it very easy to go back and refer to.

I recommend you just submit your chapter there, let us know when it's up for critique, and then we can hop on it.

Also, if you buy books off Amazon then it'll only work on Kindle. My novel was just approved to head to the iBookstore yesterday, but I'm not sure how long it'll take to show up. For those that don't use Kindles or the Kindle app there's SmashWords, which lets you purchase the book/download it in the format of your choice (and Europeans can avoid the VAT).

For example, my book is on SmashWords and you can see all the formats that it supports. The epub edition can be imported into iBooks, but you can also choose PDF if you prefer that, for example.

hGGqz.jpg

The anthology I'm featured in, Kindle All Stars: Resistance Front, now has a cover. Personally supported by the mega-iconic Harlan Ellison, this anthology features 33 authors and 500 pages of short story content from a variety of published and non-published authors, spanning ages, genders, and locales. This'll be available in December on Kindle for .99, and all proceeds go to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

There will be a paperback edition as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom