• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The X-Files' 2016 premiere ratings could push series toward additional seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ibtimes.com/x-files-2016...push-series-toward-additional-seasons-2279233

I think this is interesting enough to warrant a new thread. If it isn't, please merge with the Season 10 OT.

After 13 years, there are still millions of people who think the truth is still out there. When "The X-Files" TV series returned to Fox Sunday night after a 13-year absence, over 13.5 million people tuned in to the first episode of the six-part miniseries to see what's next for Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson). With ratings so high right away, could there be news of additional new episodes in the future?

According to TVLine, the 13.5 million viewers for the miniseries premiere tops the 2002 series finale of the sci-fi show, which saw 13.3 million viewers. When the show originally debuted in 1993, it drew 12 million viewers. "The X-Files" also had a 5.1 rating in the demo Sunday night. The viewership for Sunday night may actually be even higher than 13.5 as more-complete ratings are expected to be released later Monday afternoon. "The X-Files" ran for nine seasons from 1993-2002 and it had a cult following throughout it's years on TV.

High ratings for "The X-Files" is good news for Fox as well as fans. At the 2016 TCA Winter Press Tour on Jan. 15, show creator Chris Carter revealed to E! Online that if the show does well and the network wants more episodes, there could be more "X-Files" in the future. At this time, there are no plans for a spinoff, but that could change. Fox co-president Gary Newman also said he'd be interested in having more stories of "The X-Files" but that it would depend on availability.

"I'm waiting for Fox to come back and say, ‘We want more of these,'" Carter said.

Carter told The Hollywood Reporter he was hoping the show would get high ratings and that everyone involved with the show would "consider all options." For now, he's just hoping to successfully present the series in modern times.

"No one has ever done this on television. I just wanted to bring the show into what I would call a brave new world. I would call that our mission statement, but our mission statement is always, 'It's only as scary as it is believable.' It has to take place within the realm of extreme possibility," Carter dished.

I want to believe.

Fuck yeah. I'm really, really hoping that we get a few more seasons out of this. I've really enjoyed the first two episodes of season 10 - though they're lacked the "spooky" factor for me that the originals have, but that can always change with new episodes.

What about you, GAF? Do you want to see the X-files train keep rolling?

Started an Xfiles re-watch about 6 months ago, and couldn't quite stomach the whole of S9 last week, so I haven't seen any of the new episodes....
However, personally I wouldn't be interested in any more without Mulder. S8/9 is super dull.

CDX

I think I would actually love short condensed 6-8 episode seasons.

British TV does stuff like that a lot.

With the right writers, it could end up being some really fantastic TV every year.

RPGCrazied

I told you. They would cave if the ratings were strong, like they look like they are.

I hope they do more, pay the actors whatever they want. This show has me wanting to buy the older seasons to watch. I know its on Netflix, but for how long nobody knows.

jelly

Surely depends how the rest of the series runs. Lets see if people stick around rather than being there for the event and nostalgia of it all.

SDaQarj.jpg

SimleuqiR

I think I would actually love short condensed 6-8 episode seasons.

British TV does stuff like that a lot.

With the right writers, it could end up being some really fantastic TV every year.

Yeah. Something like Luther and Peaky Blinders.
You don't need fucking 20+ episodes.

Dr.Acula

Banned
How does this show fare internationally? It's pretty successful isn't it? If it can even maintain 5 million domestic, then sell DVDs, streaming rights, international airings, isn't that enough for a hit, let alone 10 million viewers?

How does this show fare internationally? It's pretty successful isn't it? If it can even maintain 5 million domestic, then sell DVDs, streaming rights, international airings, isn't that enough for a hit, let alone 10 million viewers?

Was pretty much the biggest show in the world back in the 90s

Into

I dont have any numbers, but from my experience everyone knows who and what X Files are.

From the 90s, it was Baywatch, Simpsons and XFiles that everyone knows and is nostalgic for.

Somnia

We need the ratings of subsequent episodes to get a measure of how popular the show is.

Episode 2 pulled a 3.2 rating and almost 10 million viewers, that 3.2 rating is Fox's highest behind Empire.

Episode 3 has amazing word of mouth from critics, so we'll see, but I don't see it collapsing.

My mother who is 61 and never talks to me about TV asked me a week ago when she could watch the new X-Files. She watched the hell out of it when it first aired. FOX would be smart to turn it into a mini-series type thing. The thirst is real for X-Files fans.

RPGCrazied

Are the actors on board for more though? Surely if the money is right they would be for it. They can quit whatever they are doing now and commit more time to more episodes.

Ophelion

As long as I keep getting Darin Morgan episodes every so often, they can keep it going forever as far as I'm concerned.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
two more 13 episode seasons to tie up loose ends and more MOTW episodes written by Vince Gilligan.

Monocle

Sounds good but I hope they replace the Scully actress. She's just not that important. It would be nice to see a new face, you know? How about a 22-year-old forensic pathologist who moonlights as a model?

The worrying part is the actors, because they don't seem willing to commit to anything major.

I'd love a 12-13 episode season. I'd be ecstatic.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Sounds good but I hope they replace the Scully actress. She's just not that important. It would be nice to see a new face, you know? How about a 22-year-old forensic pathologist who moonlights as a model?

can't tell if serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom