• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The X-Files Bluray looks amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally broke down and got the 1st season of the X-Files on Bluray. I figured $20 was pretty good for an entire season and I could really stop buying them after season 5. I never realized how good this show was going to look though. Its an entirely new experience. But there are some scenes where the low resolution worked in favor of the show to hide bad makeup/effects or make things feel a little more gritty/scarier. Scully, why do they make you wear so many unflattering pant suits?

Now I'm just hoping I can piece together the mythology without losing the plot. I better start writing stuff down...

Here are just a few examples of how much better the Bluray are over the DVDs.

xJaQIS4.jpg

UJpyFn5.jpg

6zPm4iT.jpg

xTAZAg5.jpg

More examples here - http://www.xfilesvault.com/episodes/1X79-Pilot/1X79-Blu-ray-DVD-Comparison/

Replicant

35mm film in 16:9, later cropped in 4:3 for tv

Nice. I didn't know this. I thought it was like Buffy.

looks like some of the top is missing in the bluray version (sorry maybe not the same frame) ahh whatever..

but yeah looks amazing

Shot in 16:9, framed for 4:3. Supposedly is 16:9 safe though, from what I've read. Unlike, say, Buffy.

Yeah, I can see a bit of the top chopped off, if that's the same frame. But still, it looks great. Will probably get this too.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If these are the same as the Netflix HD versions then they are great. Except when you occasionally get a Grip or mic handler on the periphery who would have been cut in the 4:3 crop.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah the show is surprisingly good looking in HD but I guess it helps with how it was shot. I will say the effects are for the most part decent looking in HD, there are a couple that don't hold up at all but the blurriness of 90's TV most likely helped cover a bit of that up.

PaulloDEC

Seems like they probably should've just gone for a 4:3 presentation. The constant reframing is going to drive the purists absolutely nuts.

Also, would it have killed them to get the right font for the on-screen credits? I make shitty local ads for a living, and even I'd have gone to the trouble of finding something closer than what they used.

Increased resolution looks nice, though!

Starviper

Watching Via netflix there is a noticable upgrade in visual quality (is HD) and is in 16:9, however won't look quite as good as the blu-ray i'm sure.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Nice. I didn't know this. I thought it was like Buffy.

Yeah, I can see a bit of the top chopped off, if that's the same frame. But still, it looks great. Will probably get this too.

The bluray version appears to be cropped/vert- in the screenshots posted here, though.
The first episode was shot in 4:3 the rest shot in 16:9 cropped to 4:3 for broadcast.
Seems like they probably should've just gone for a 4:3 presentation. The constant reframing is going to drive the purists absolutely nuts.

Also, would it have killed them to get the right font for the on-screen credits? I make shitty local ads for a living, and even I'd have gone to the trouble of finding something closer than what they used.

Increased resolution looks nice, though!
Fuck the purists. Season 4 or 5 aired in 16:9 anyway so which is the purist? Something that was shot in 16:9 and cropped for TV? Or something that aired 4:3 and fuck everything else?

Cormano

I finally broke down and got the 1st season of the X-Files on Bluray. I figured $20 was pretty good for an entire season and I could really stop buying them after season 5.

Why stop after Season 5?

I know this could be used as a good stopping point, but theres still some good content after that.

It's amazing. 100000x better than the way they butchered The Wire.

Whats wrong with the bluray release? I didnt mind it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I got each season for 12 at release because of the fox sale.

Oh yes they look great.

I finally broke down and got the 1st season of the X-Files on Bluray. I figured $20 was pretty good for an entire season and I could really stop buying them after season 5. I never realized how good this show was going to look though. Its an entirely new experience. But there are some scenes where the low resolution worked in favor of the show to hide bad makeup/effects or make things feel a little more gritty/scarier. Scully, why do they make you wear so many unflattering pant suits?

You know Seasons 1-6 are only $15 at Target both in store and online right?

LeonSPBR

When Netflix put The X-Files on their catalogue, they only had the 4:3 version... man when they changed their version to the HD version it was amazing. I had to re watched all of those episodes again because it's such a diference.

PaulloDEC

The first episode was shot in 4:3 the rest shot in 16:9 cropped to 4:3 for broadcast.

Fuck the purists. Season 4 or 5 aired in 16:9 anyway so which is the purist? Something that was shot in 16:9 and cropped for TV? Or something that aired 4:3 and fuck everything else?

That's easy: you release it in whatever format it was produced in. If the first three seasons were produced in 4:3, you release them in 4:3. If four and five were produced in 16:9, you release them in 16:9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom