The Xbox 360 Memory Upgrade Program - definetly come here

#1
For now it appears if you own a CORE console with less then 128MB of storage you are eligible for either a FREE 512MB Memory Card or a refurbished 20GB HDD for $19.99 or £13.

If you are an ARCADE owner with less then 128MB of storage it appears you may be eligible for a refurbished 20GB HDD + 3 months of Xbox Live for $29.99 or £25.

We are still trying to figure out what is eligible for what but this so far seems to be correct. Having less then 128 MB of storage may not be a requirement but we aren't 100% sure.

Here is the storage website - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/hardware/memoryupdate/default.htm
 
#5
Interesting.

Maybe I could get that free 512 MB memory card.

*goes to fill up my 20GB HDD with useless junk to get under 128 MB*


Edit: Shit, just realized that this is for Arcade owners only. :(
 
#8
Hmm... that's a really professional way of handling the problem. If you just want the update get the free memory card, and if the idea of having a hard drive to store stuff appeals to you then $20 is a knockout price.
 
#11
Yes but you need to make sure you have less then 128 MB of free space on your hard drive, sign into xbox live, then submit your information to xbox.com/storage. You should be able to get a free 512 MB Memory card or a $20.000 HDD.
 

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
#12
starts downloading random crap

when I go to the site listed in the OP it just takes me to the regular xbox.com site though.
 

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
#21
TaKeRx said:
well it asks you for both console id and serial number.
Im guessing this means everyone will be trying to get a drive. All you have to do is fill the drive up. Go to site and then profit.
 

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
#24
So it asks for the serial and console ID to make sure it's an arcade unit, and then scans to make sure you haven't attached a hard drive to it with plenty of space right? But what if you have a large memory card that has 128 MB free? Will it still deny you the upgrade? Kind of jacked up if that's true.
 
#27
Borgnine said:
So it asks for the serial and console ID to make sure it's an arcade unit, and then scans to make sure you haven't attached a hard drive to it with plenty of space right? But what if you have a large memory card that has 128 MB free? Will it still deny you the upgrade? Kind of jacked up if that's true.
Yeah, sounds like if you've ever attached a hard drive to the console you're fucked. The biggest MU is only 512MB so I doubt they'll count those.
 
#29
I removed my hard drive and connected a memory card with 20MB signed in went on the site and got this

"According to our records you own a console which has enough memory to connect to Xbox LIVE and live the new Xbox Experience. The next time you turn on your Xbox 360 console and connect to Xbox LIVE you will receive the update. Have fun!
If you feel you are receiving this message in error and own an Xbox 360 or Xbox 360 Arcade console please validate your serial number and reenter it here. Xbox 360 Pro and Elite consoles come with enough memory and are not eligible for this upgrade."

they know I own a pro
oh well
 
#32
Borgnine said:
So it asks for the serial and console ID to make sure it's an arcade unit, and then scans to make sure you haven't attached a hard drive to it with plenty of space right? But what if you have a large memory card that has 128 MB free? Will it still deny you the upgrade? Kind of jacked up if that's true.
I have a PRO and an Arcade. I got the message while I was signed onto Xbox Live with my PRO using my 20GB HDD that was completely full. I delted some demos, then about 2 hours later decided to see what the message was about. Once I entered my PRO's serial and console ID it said that according to Xbox Live my console has enough space for the update and I think its just because I deleted those demos.

So I just loaded my gamertag on my memory card and plugged it into my arcade and signed into Xbox Live. Then entered my Arcades serial and console ID and it offered me the upgrade.

As long as the last time you signed into Xbox Live your storage device did not have atleast 128 MB of storage then I think your console if available for the upgrade, but I could be wrong.

edit - actually I think this is only for core and arcade owners after all. Very cool of MS though.
 
#37
cjelly said:
From Jeo's post it looks like they are only allowing Arcade's and Core's in on the offer.

I'm allowed because I shelled out actual cash for my 20GHD damned abusive prices :( (bought an Arcade some months ago)
 
#38
Jeo said:
I removed my hard drive and connected a memory card with 20MB signed in went on the site and got this

"According to our records you own a console which has enough memory to connect to Xbox LIVE and live the new Xbox Experience. The next time you turn on your Xbox 360 console and connect to Xbox LIVE you will receive the update. Have fun!
If you feel you are receiving this message in error and own an Xbox 360 or Xbox 360 Arcade console please validate your serial number and reenter it here. Xbox 360 Pro and Elite consoles come with enough memory and are not eligible for this upgrade."

they know I own a pro
oh well
Whuh? I thought it comes out next month?
 
#40
How about they just offer hard drives for a reasonable price in the first place? How about they just let you use your own damn hard drive?

Nope? Yeah, figures. I'm not impressed by their "generosity"
 
#43
takotchi said:
How about they just offer hard drives for a reasonable price in the first place? How about they just let you use your own damn hard drive?

Nope? Yeah, figures. I'm not impressed by their "generosity"
here, here
 

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
#45
CoG said:
A refurbished HDD is scarier than a used condom.
Well ignoring the stupidity of the metaphor because one can give you a life-terminating illness and the other can at worst make you lose your Ninety-Nine Nights savefile, this is stil not true.

Refurbished hard drives can be anything from a working enclosure whose drive died and a new drive was put in it to a working drive whose enclosure was cracked with no damage to the drive to a store-return drive that had nothing wrong at all. There is no evidence to suggest that refurbed hard drives have a higher failure rate than new in box hard drives. There is no evidence to suggest the 360 process is different than any other PC HDD hard drive refurb process.

The 360 hard drive does very little. Whereas your PC hard drive constantly spins up and spins down and your operating system is constantly using your PC for virtual memory, the same is not true for the 360 drive. It's being used fractions of a percent as much in terms of read/write use as a PC hard drive over the same period of time. The few games that make use of HDD caching do so far more gently than your PC makes use of your HDD each minute of operation.

The average annual replacement rate for hard drives in 1u server situations with high use and poor ventilation is around 4%. The manufacturer stated failure rate is generally <1%. The MTBF is generally around a million hours. Your 360 HDD is spinning a maximum of a few hours a day, and even then very rarely during operation.

In addition, if your drive does die, a non-trivial portion (although not all) of your progress in games is saved/synched with XBL.
 
#47
So, for this to work I should,

1-Deattach my 20gb hdd
2-attach a MU with less than 128 mb on it
3-Sign into xblive
4-register my console ID
5-Profit!

?
 
#48
Works in Canada also ..on any system I would imagine.

Just entered the code for my 2 week old arcade.

20GB drive with 3 months of LIVE for $29.99

thanks OP!
 
#49
itxaka said:
So, for this to work I should,

1-Deattach my 20gb hdd
2-attach a MU with less than 128 mb on it
3-Sign into xblive
4-register my console ID
5-Profit!

?
I think the console may need to be an Arcade or a Core unit. We need PRO owners to verify, JEO tried and said he was rejected.