• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Series X can stream and record gameplay in 4K at 60 fps

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Microsoft has revealed a lot about its next-gen plans this week, confirming details about its smaller, cheaper console called the Xbox Series S. The company also released a tidbit of information about the system’s more powerful sibling, the Xbox Series X: It is capable of streaming gameplay and recording gameplay clips in 4K resolution at a frame rate of 60 frames per second, according to a fact sheet Microsoft provided to the media.

However, the 4K60 streaming and recording is listed in the table as a feature available exclusively on the Xbox Series X. Of course, this makes sense — the Series S isn’t rendering games at 4K. But there’s no information on the resolution and frame rate that the Series S does support for gameplay streaming and capture. We’ve reached out to Microsoft regarding the Xbox Series S’s capabilities in this respect, and we’ll update this story with any information we receive.

The Series X’s ability to stream and capture 4K60 gameplay brings it in line with some of the most powerful gaming PCs out there. Nvidia and AMD graphics cards allow for high-end gameplay streaming and recording using proprietary software. But otherwise players must use devices like the Elgato 4K60 Pro capture card or Elgato 4K60 S+ box — which can run a couple hundred bucks themselves — to actually capture that high-end video. Microsoft’s new hardware makes high-end streaming and video capture much more accessible to non-professional content creators.

This is a big one, but hopefully they actually work on the functionality of the streaming setup itself.

streaming purely from console felt so limited because of obvious issues. You had to have the game open to be show on stream (surely they can make the Xbox streaming focus purely on the game instance and not the dashboard when popped open).

Also, they need to work on proper video editing.

Matt_Fox

Sounds like the 'screenshot threads of no compromise' on Gaf might soon become the 'video clips of no compromise'.

You can record 4K on the One X but you can't edit or upload 4K from it you have to record it on an external drive and do it through your PC. Well that's how it's supposed to work, I've been able to record and upload 4K right from the console but it only works sometimes and it's not supposed to work at all lol.

acm2000

but stream on what platform? does twitch even support 4k streaming? will they support youtube gaming streaming?

Allandor

ah, is that again why the OS has such a big memory footprint?
I really dislike those social features. If you want to record and stream, don't use the limited resources of the console. Just let customers buy a x$ extra device plugged into the HDMI port. For 99% of the customers this feature is just useless.

Moses85

Nice. PS4 is not capable offering shareplay in 1080p/30FPS even if both parties have 400 Mbit connection.

And for this service the player has to pay 60€ per year..

Kerotan

That's a good improvement. Hopefully the ps5 follows and hopefully both allow streamers to stream to the same standard as pc for YouTube and twitch.

Streaming is much bigger now compared to 2013 so this has to be a big focus.

acm2000

ah, is that again why the OS has such a big memory footprint?
I really dislike those social features. If you want to record and stream, don't use the limited resources of the console. Just let customers buy a x$ extra device plugged into the HDMI port. For 99% of the customers this feature is just useless.

people sharing clips with their friends is free word of mouth advertising, thus sells more games, ultimately software sales are where the money is so these features are important for sony and MS and are used by a LOT more than 1% of gamers.

tryDEATH

The seamless integration of streaming on Mixer was a really underrated feature.

I loved it as I would help and show my friends certain things in games and had a bunch of FIFA tournaments between friends where we could watch each other play and clown one another live with no latency while in a party bringing back some of those old LAN memories, while half way across the state.

I really hope something similar will be available at launch as this news seems to indicate potentially.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Yeah that's what everyone expects next-gen consoles to do isn't it?

Not necessarily. You need to bear in mind two things:

1) PS4 / XB1 were native 1080p consoles yet neither did 1080p 60fps recording, and;

2) 4k 60fps is going to consume a SHITLOAD of storage space. The next gen consoles only have roughly 800gb give or take. That's not going to last long....

So I don't think it was a given. I'm certainly glad it's turned out this way though.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I really hope that having an external HDD plugged in will allow the video to go straight to that. Because 4K video will make mincemeat out of the 500 GB - 1 TB the next gen consoles have.

Top Bottom