• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Yawhg (PC) is a really special game

Kurdel

Banned
Anyone try out The Yawhg? I played it with some friends this afternoon and we really had a blast. You can also easily play it alone.

I have played it for over three hours on Steam and I just love the game. The writing really helps you feel connected to the characters in this "choose your own adventure" RPG.

yawhg-620x.jpg

Destructoid review said:
What The Yawhg actually is has little bearing in the story. Picking a pair of characters, you have six weeks to ready yourself and carve out your own story. What seems like a slight experience at first glance reveals a surprising amount of depth on repeat playthroughs.

Destructoid 7.5

RPS said:
It’s Choose Your Own Adventure as an open-ended fairy tale, where the enjoyment stems more from seeing what the game’s random event generator chucks at you than from trying to min-max your way to a happier ending.

RPS Wot I Think

You can spend your week however you want, and a play through can take 20 minutes. You build up stats that can help you when the Yawhg arrives. It reminds me of King Of Dragon's Pass. For what it is, it is brilliant.

yawhg3jpg-620x.jpg

stdrt_2013-05-22_11-01-14-15.png

And the main song for the game is really awesome.

http://www.theyawhg.com/

Zomba13

Bumping this because I think it deserves it and this is the only topic on it. Watched some playthroughs of this earlier. I watched when Giant Bomb did it (I think they did anyway) and thought the game was cool but was a bit unsure of the price then watched some playthroughs done with Kim from the yogscast (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlSBsxKnPs6SGw7xRgKLcGEOS7MP7bl0p) and then looked up the soundtrack on youtube and decided to finally buy it to support the devs. The soundtrack is beautiful and haunting and the game is like those choose your own adventure books.

It really is a special game.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Watched a playthrough of this last night, I adore the art style, reminds me somewhat of Quentin Blake's covers for Roald Dahl books. Definitely on my to-buy list.

rmanthorp

Played it at a friends a few month ago - total surprise to me - really enjoyed it! Then the Giant Bomb guys took a look at it so I think that's definitely got a few eyes on it. It's on my wishlist and I'm going to pick it up at some point.

Young Adult With Huge Gonads

I can't tell how self-aware this game is. The utter fucking despair of a bad ending verges into parody at times, but the music suggests otherwise. Still seems like a lot of fun either way.

kuppy

Yes, really neat game, the results are so shocking some times.

Would love to see a bigger version of this.

Zomba13

Just got done playing this with a few friends over skype using screen sharing. Was great fun. They missed out on the music though but I linked them to it.

K.Sabot

Watched the Giant Bomb stream.

90% of the enjoyment seems to be derived from the writing blurbs, hopefully it would realistically last longer than a couple games.

Not really seeing the appeal, honestly. They set up the Yawhg as some sort important thing, but it just goes by in a couple still frames of art. Looks like a multiplayer dating sim where they replaced dating with "don't screw up". Seems like a nice project you could knock out in a few months, would look into if I had 4 friends and it was cheap.

How much is this to buy?

I enjoyed it but to be honest I felt very disappointed and that it wasn't worth what I paid for it. After about 3 playthroughs I kinda went "That's it?" and didn't ever play it again.

Top Bottom