• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Keasar said:
It was quite bad, it had some truly beautiful to look at set-pieces, but it was bad. Really bad. Story was bad, overall gameplay was bad (QTE ahoy) and A.I was bad. Multiplayer is simply what the game should only be known for.

But Dice decided to put the SP and market the game using it there and they sell the game as complete package for premium price,and good MP is not an excuse for shitty SP like the one in BF3, many other games have good MP and SP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sort of refreshing to have a new Vs. video after all this time.

"But I'm still giving this one to Modern Warfare, because whatever the strong points of Battlefield's plot it was mostly ripped off from Call of Duty games so Modern Warfare basically gets the prize either way."

Lol.

Gui_PT

Yahtzee really hates multiplayer..haha

"Who is the winner? No One. No one is the winner!"

He is right though. The "biggest" part of the industry is that kind of game. Which is a shame because they're mostly the same. And the bad kind of same.

Lqxjr.png

KuGsj.gif

How did I miss this gem?

The new ep was pretty awesome also!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It's just weird that he hated it, The Third was kinda made completely based on his SR2 reviews, everything he wanted and said in that review The Third did (like play as famous super villain that the justice try to hunt, no filler or forced activity..ect)yet he disliked.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's just weird that he hated it, The Third was kinda made completely based on his SR2 reviews, everything he wanted and said in that review The Third did (like play as famous super villain that the justice try to hunt, no filler or forced activity..ect)yet he disliked.

The key point of his review is that wackiness loses impact when its not juxtaposed with a more realistic grounding.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Which I have to disagree with because Saints Row continually finds ways to top itself in the wackiness department.
I don't want to make it sound like an accusation by any means, but Yahtzee notoriously doesn't finish a number of games he reviews. This review kind of had me wondering how far he actually got in the game because it doesn't really seem like he has much of any substance to say beyond the early sections of the game.

Like...obsessing over the character creator.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The key point of his review is that wackiness loses impact when its not juxtaposed with a more realistic grounding.

honestly I never thought SR2 has any "realistic ground" to begin with.

I only agree with Yahtzee here on the dumped down customizations ( like different character animations too) and the city is boring compared to Neo Stillwater, and I also think the game missed few thing like more activities like Fuzz, Racing..ect ( then again he focus on these more than the game missions or how good the gunplay and driving over SR2 and what you can actually do)

But Should The Third have more "filler" in and during the missions like what he wanted? I don't think so, should it lock the weapons and vehicles from you till late in the game? No , should have more realistic weight and less craziness for us to "appreciate" a tiny wacky moment ? Fuck no.

And also The Third's missions launcher should be a standard in these GTA style open world,you click that an you are in the mission,the open everything from the get go ( weapons ,area and vehicles) should also be a standard in these open world.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sort of a weak review, he must have a rule where he can't praise a game as well as its sequel. Most of the review was picking at one very small nit.

obonicus

I don't want to make it sound like an accusation by any means, but Yahtzee notoriously doesn't finish a number of games he reviews. This review kind of had me wondering how far he actually got in the game because it doesn't really seem like he has much of any substance to say beyond the early sections of the game.

Some of the pacing concerns are a bit odd, since for as much as you get big stuff early on, you get even BIGGER stuff later. Also, the activities do have an introductory mission -- it's part of the main story, though, and if you go directly to the activities rather than letting the game lead you into them, you miss that introduction.

he open everything from the get go ( weapons ,area and vehicles) should also be a standard in these open world.

how can i disagree more ...

I'm sorry but i really won't play any open world game that give me everything from the start

-huge map where you can get lost because you don't know your surrondings ?
-No way to try each power/weapon properly ( because you have all of them from the start ) ..so you don't learn how to use a weapon properly....some weapon might have uses in spécific situations taht you wouldn't know since you never tried them before.
-no sense of accomplishement ( because you don't unlock anything )

Doing that will render the open world games NULL and VOID

Gui_PT

how can i disagree more ...

I'm sorry but i really won't play any open world game that give me everything from the start

-huge map where you can get lost because you don't know your surrondings ?
-No way to try each power/weapon properly ( because you have all of them from the start ) ..so you don't learn how to use a weapon properly....some weapon might have uses in spécific situations taht you wouldn't know since you never tried them before.
-no sense of accomplishement ( because you don't unlock anything )

Doing that will render the open world games NULL and VOID

This.

While I think he exaggerated a little bit, he is right about it. Having everything available from the get go is a bad thing

obonicus

This.

While I think he exaggerated a little bit, he is right about it. Having everything available from the get go is a bad thing

You don't have everything from the get-go, in fact, just a lot of stuff. As crazy as predator drones are, they're kind of tame compared to the airstrike ability you get later on in the game. The only reason you'd complain that SR3 gives you everything from the get-go is because you don't know what everything is.

There are things to complain about in SR3, but I really don't think pacing is one of them.

(Also, you do have the entire city unlocked from the beginning, but with the GPS systems these games have it's not like you can get lost at all, so that's a non-issue.)

UrbanRats

honestly I never thought SR2 has any "realistic ground" to begin with.

I only agree with Yahtzee here on the dumped down customizations ( like different character animations too) and the city is boring compared to Neo Stillwater, and I also think the game missed few thing like more activities like Fuzz, Racing..ect ( then again he focus on these more than the game missions or how good the gunplay and driving over SR2 and what you can actually do)

But Should The Third have more "filler" in and during the missions like what he wanted? I don't think so, should it lock the weapons and vehicles from you till late in the game? No , should have more realistic weight and less craziness for us "appreciate" a tiny wacky moment ? Fuck no.

And also The Third's missions launcher should be a standard in these GTA style open world,you click that an you are in the mission,the open everything from the get go ( weapons ,area and vehicles) should also be a standard in these open world.
Completely agree man, seriously.
BUT:
This.

I think it's a matter of style, really.
Saint's Row it's all about superficial and "easy" fun, so it make sense to have everything(or almost everything) unlocked from the get go.
Maybe a more paced and "deep" game, like a RDR, that is more based on the experience and the role play, maybe there is more sense in unlocking stuff with certain pace, as you go along, in that one.

So i think that having everything from the start, is a good thing for Saint's Row, for its nature, but it's not necessarily a good thing for every open world game.

Also, i don't really take Yahtzee reviews too seriously, i just watch them for the laughs (although this one was rather weak in general).

Dina

Rubbish. He is spot on. Sure, your weapons grow stronger with VTOLs and Jetbikes in the end, but it's not like a Saints Crusader doesn't do the job properly. You don't even need other guns apart from the dual wield magnums. Disguising acitivities as missions was another folly attempt, as is the entire beginning where everything is so wacky that the other 70% of the game fails to make any sort of impact.

Sensory overload is at the heart of this game, and the pacing of the entire thing is hurting because of it.

Top Bottom