• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

zma1013

Eh, Last of Us review was kind of meh. Wasn't really funny and seemed to miss the point of certain ideas in the game as if Joel and Elli
danced off into the happy sunset at the ending of the game, which they absolutely did not.
Yes it had your generic zombie apocalypse setup we've seen in dozens of movies and games but I felt it was a familiar base setting to place a rather unfamiliar duo story on top of and it worked. I typically forgive him of certain misplaced criticisms if he makes me laugh, but I think his jokes just missed the mark on this one. I was completely expecting some awesome "Elli floating on a pallet" doodles and jokes but none were to be found.

Ratrat

I agree with everything he said. But I'm surprised he gives ND so little credit. Oh, well. He did choose Spec Ops for goty didn't he? Good taste right there.

Alienous

Eh, Last of Us review was kind of meh. Wasn't really funny and seemed to miss the point of certain ideas in the game as if Joel and Elli
danced off into the happy sunset at the ending of the game, which they absolutely did not.
Yes it had your generic zombie apocalypse setup we've seen in dozens of movies and games but I felt it was a familiar base setting to place a rather unfamiliar duo story on top of and it worked. I typically forgive him of certain misplaced criticisms if he makes me laugh, but I think his jokes just missed the mark on this one. I was completely expecting some awesome "Elli floating on a pallet" doodles and jokes but none were to be found.

I think he's mostly right. By the standards of an Oscar movie, which is what 'The Last of Us' appears to want to be within the video game space, it is fairly derivative.
It's quite the generic zombie apocalypse setup, it doesn't nearly reach the heights of 'The Road' etc.

His impressions are extremely similar to my impressions when I put the controller down after finishing the game. It's still a great experience, but it does get hung up on many of gaming's idiosyncrasies, and doesn't find solutions. Narratively, whilst it surpasses most games, it isn't as strong as many books or even movies. It's a great experience, isn't perfect, and I think that Yahtzee mostly relates that (if you ignore the hyperbole).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Alienous said:
By the standards of an Oscar movie, which is what 'The Last of Us' appears to want to be within the video game space, it is fairly derivative.

The treatment of the subject is more important than the base material. Savage dystopias aren't a new idea, The Road is noteworthy because Mccarthy is a great writer - not because of its originality.

AAK

Judging by his review, it seems like he played it on Normal. I have a lot of those same complaints but other people have reported in other threads that those same flaws don't come in harder difficulty settings. Just something I'd throw out there.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just watched it, and although I loved the game, I can't disagree with his criticisms. Especially the ridiculous bandit population and the arbitrary clicker immunity stuff

NotLiquid

* Standard/enjoyable game play with some rough edges.
* Too self-aware at times and repeated in-game dialogue.
* Very good pacing and set pieces for the kind of game it's trying to be, making it an actually pretty funny and enjoyable experience.
* Bad bosses/villains/wasted potential for final encounter
* Praises being faithful to it's source material for better and for worse.

Sounds about right. Deadpool was an alright game at the end of the day and despite a lot of rough edges it was still a crazy blast worth playing through once.

ArjanN

* Standard/enjoyable game play with some rough edges.
* Too self-aware at times and repeated in-game dialogue.
* Very good pacing and set pieces for the kind of game it's trying to be, making it an actually pretty funny and enjoyable experience.
* Bad bosses/villains/wasted potential for final encounter
* Praises being faithful to it's source material for better and for worse.

Sounds about right. Deadpool was an alright game at the end of the day and despite a lot of rough edges it was still a crazy blast worth playing through once.

Yeah, having played it that's a pretty good summary of the games strengths and weaknesses.

FranXico

He like many games but people just focus on the things he absolutely hate, he didn't hated BioShock: Infinite so it's not just hate the popular, he also like some games I personally think they are below average like I Am Alive, Resistance 3 and Prototype, there is no shtick here, he is just a normal reviewer with an opinion of his own.

He liked Resistance 3? That doesn't sound like him...

Globox_82

Banned
Judging by his review, it seems like he played it on Normal. I have a lot of those same complaints but other people have reported in other threads that those same flaws don't come in harder difficulty settings. Just something I'd throw out there.

who ever playes TLOU on Normal or Easy has no right to give negative comments. Play the game on HARD. It's SO MUCH better

kurbaan

Banned
Now that's kind of extreme, wouldn't you say? I mean, Normal is what Naughty Dogs themselves designated as the default.

Normal is for people who barely play games. Anyone good at shooters shouldn't be playing it on normal.

Also WTH is up with yathzee's ranting on exclusive games. He makes it sound like Sony or msft are doing some great injustice. It just sounds so petty and him trying hard to complain about stuff.

Gui_PT

Now that's kind of extreme, wouldn't you say? I mean, Normal is what Naughty Dogs themselves designated as the default.

Yeah, most gamers are going to play it on normal first.

You can't say "aw well you're supposed to play on hard, duh". Being easier doesn't mean the AI can be bad at times.

Ferrio

Banned
Also WTH is up with yathzee's ranting on exclusive games. He makes it sound like Sony or msft are doing some great injustice. It just sounds so petty and him trying hard to complain about stuff.

Because he's right. But it's so ingrained in the gaming cultural (ever since the beggining) we shrug it off. Hell most people celebrate over the fact that gamers are not able to play some great games because they don't happen to own the system it's exclusive on, how screwed up is that?

Majine

Banned
I am fascinated by Animal Crossing, and what makes people like it. Personally I find it to be like a Facebook game minus the microtransactions plus added charm.

Because he's right. But it's so ingrained in the gaming cultural (ever since the beggining) we shrug it off. Hell most people celebrate over the fact that gamers are not able to play some great games because they don't happen to own the system it's exclusive on, how screwed up is that?

Homogenization is bad. If every system plays the same games, there's no point in having systems at all.

Totally why there's only one android tablet right?

There are about 500 different Android devices released every month, and it's absolutely pointless to own any one of them because it'll be rendered obsolete the second you take it out of the package. The phone/tablet industry is a disgusting racket.

The last thing gaming should be going for is becoming even more like that cancerous cesspit.

Massa

There are about 500 different Android devices released every month, and it's absolutely pointless to own any one of them because it'll be rendered obsolete the second you take it out of the package. The phone/tablet industry is a disgusting racket.

The last thing gaming should be going for is becoming even more like that cancerous cesspit.

I've owned my Android phone since 2011 and it still appears to be working just fine.

kurbaan

Banned

How does it make any sense for Sony to make Xbox games or MSFT to make PS games? Consoles dont make sense without exclusive game.

And Android is a mess

Homogenization is bad. If every system plays the same games, there's no point in having systems at all.

Except, ya know, you need a system to play the games.

If all BluRay players can play any bluray disc, then why...you get the idea. There are many ways a product can distinguish itself outside of exclusivity. As a customer, exclusivity is the worst possible distinguishing factor for a product as that means if you wanted to play certain incompatible bluray discs, you would be forced to buy multiple bluray players. Why, as a customer, you would promote such a scenario is beyond me. How you can't imagine a world without bluray disc exclusivity is even worse.

How does it make any sense for Sony to make Xbox games or MSFT to make PS games? Consoles dont make sense without exclusive game.

And Android is a mess

How come I can play Sony Classic Pictures films on my Toshiba Bluray player? What is Sony stupid or something? Don't they know that they would be making more money if I didn't buy their movie?

kurbaan

Banned
How come I can play Sony Classic Pictures films on my Toshiba Bluray player? What is Sony stupid or something? Don't they know that they would be making more money if I didn't buy their movie?

That's not even the same thing movies are all on the same format. Basically you disagree with the console model and you should be against the existence of consoles PERIOD. PCs use a common platform (Windows) and are what you want.

You guy's would have a point if all console ran the same operating system and the only thing stopping games from being multiplatform was just submitting it for approval.

hackdog

Banned
The never ending nature of AC:NL is why I'm resisting getting it. I need an end to my games even if it is ambiguous
Ellie knows

Top Bottom