• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

This is probably the funniest review he's done in awhile, I dunno which part made me laugh harder the Mario Golf Spoiler or the you can't rhyme that you fucks.

explodet

This is probably the funniest review he's done in awhile, I dunno which part made me laugh harder the Mario Golf Spoiler or the you can't rhyme that you fucks.
As someone who's studied English Lit, I'm fully behind him on that point, at least.

As fun or as not fun as the game may be, the poetic meter is a disaster.

explodet

He needs to stop reviewing Spider-Man games, they'll never live up to his memories of the one he really liked.

I probably would have enjoyed the Tex Murphy game review more if I had played it - or any of the previous ones. Which is odd, because I played the shit out of the adventure game genre.

Blues1990

I've only started watching his reviews, and I'm sorry if I come across as being "No Shit, Sherlock," but I'll take it this guy detests games that are developed &/or published by Nintendo.

explodet

I've only started watching his reviews, and I'm sorry if I come across as being "No Shit, Sherlock," but I'll take it this guy detests games that are developed &/or published by Nintendo.
He likes Paper Mario (except Sticker Star, but from what I heard nobody liked Sticker Star) and a few of the Mario & Luigi games.

He also said the Wii was a terrible system but thought Super Mario Galaxy was fun on a bun.

King Fost

Neo Member
Not sure I like the new episode. Senor Cockface and Lady Hitler were very funny, and his critique on most of the actual gameplay is pretty much why I don't bother with life simulators.

On the other hand, the social commentary on the lack of gay marriage is astoundingly ignorant and misleading. It's not that I think that not including it wasn't a fuck up; it was because it's a life simulator after all and the developers neglected the lifestyle of part of its audience and for that they deserve criticism. But the portrayal of the company as intentionally excluding the option at bigoted members of bumbletown sisterfuck USA is completely off the mark and misleading. Nintendo's first response to the complaints was tonedeaf but the second pretty much settled the issue, and not even most of the people who were offended by the first response thought Nintendo was intentionally homophobic or malicious, and acknowledged that the neglect was due to differing cultural values of the developers and not intentional. In other words, had he bothered to do any research on the issue, he wouldn't have the complaints that he has.

I know I'm probably taking this video a bit too seriously but when you have social issues like this, you need to handle it with tact and sensitivity because feelings can easily get hurt and misunderstandings are unfortunately very easy to create. I don't know if his feelings on the matter were genuine or if he just did this to score political points; if it's the latter, it's fucking despicable behavior.

Rufus

In other words, had he bothered to do any research on the issue, he wouldn't have the complaints that he has.
I wouldn't be so sure. If it's the developer's culture to be non-controversial and portray a normative version of human relationships they can be criticised for it regardless. The exact words will be different, but the argument will be same.

I know I'm probably taking this video a bit too seriously but when you have social issues like this, you need to handle it with tact and sensitivity because feelings can easily get hurt and misunderstandings are unfortunately very easy to create.
The guy makes dick jokes every other video and generally includes gross things in his imagery and is often just flat out insulting to people or things he things are stupid. I don't think tact and sensitivity is what you'll get from these videos. But you can criticise his choices all the same. Funny how valid that is.

Davey Cakes

I do have to wonder how many critics actually only got as far as Twoson or Threed (or, at most, halfway through the game so...Fourside?) before running out of time to review Earthbound. In general the idea of having strict deadlines to the point of games not getting their fair shake always bothers me, but it comes with the territory.

In any case, Earthbound is the exact kind of game that you really need to sink into and absorb over time. There are lots of NPCs to interact with and lots of dialogue and other bits of writing here and there (even item descriptions, battle text, etc.) that add to the game's overall charm. I couldn't imagine rushing through it all for a review.

And it is funny because, as conveyed in the ZP review, EB is probably one of the JRPGs that's easy to finish. It's only 20-30 hours even if you interact with EVERYTHING. Many JRPGs seem like they can go from 40-100 hours from what I've seen and heard. Then I'm left wondering how often today's longer and more robust JRPG experiences (and RPGs in general) are actually done justice in regards to the time put in before writing a review.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wow, that was probably the best video he's done in a while. Probably because he's finally changing things up a bit.

"Fooled you, it's a games console!"
"Fooled you, it's shit!"

CTLance

There are still so many games he could review... but it's OK to mix things up from time to time. Refreshing video.

The jingle is awesome as well.
"Fooled you, it's shit!"
Gotta admit, that made me crack up.

jimi_dini

"Fooled you, it's shit!"

rsmFLhr.gif

/dead. Like the Xbone.

Top Bottom