• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheC64 & TheC64 Mini firmware update 1.5.1 coming February 3

Agent X

According to the official site for TheC64 and TheC64 Mini, the long-anticipated firmware version 1.5.1 will be released on February 3, 2021.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the official announcement describing what features are being added (it seems to have been removed from the site). I recall that they mentioned support for multi-disk games on TheC64 Mini (the full-size TheC64 already has this feature), REU support, and the ability to swap joystick port assignments.

Fredrik

Weird to not get any info what they’re updating.
I’ve had this since the launch (backer), works great so I don’t know what’s needed besides a sturdier joystick. I snapped the stick (got a replacement for free) which made me cautious to play certain games. Would it be possible to add support for any arcade stick?

Agent X

They did post a list of updates, but I think it was a Facebook post that was mirrored on their "News" page. Their "News" page only has a few postings, and then the old ones roll off. I guess if you're on Facebook (I am not), you could see the list of updates.

Some other USB controllers work with TheC64 and TheC64 Mini, but I haven't tried any myself. I've heard that popular controllers like the PS4 DualShock 4 and Xbox One controller work. You might also have to experiment with writing one or more CJM files to get the buttons mapped according to your personal preference. See the following article:

Agent X

Well, its not February 3 yet, but it appears Retro Games has released firmware update 1.5.1! You can click here to go the download page on their site.

From that page, here's a list of the changes included in this and other previous firmware updates:

Version 1.5.1 – Changes and additions​

• [All models] Adds joystick port selection by pressing and holding joystick ☰ and then pressing joystick Ⓐ for port 1 or joystick Ⓑ for port 2
  • Adds C64 only Classic mode added to THEC64 Mini
  • Adds disk swapping added to THEC64 Mini
  • [All models] Adds Commodore REU support with 512K, 2MB or 16MB as filename flags or CJM parameters
  • New games for THEC64 Mini: Hessian (C64) and PET Snake (C64)
  • New games for THEC64: Hessian (C64), PET Snake (C64), City Crusher(VIC20) and Mine Sweep (VIC20)
  • New games for THEVIC20: Hessian (C64), PET Snake (C64), City Crusher(VIC20) and Mine Sweep (VIC20)

Version 1.4.2 – Changes and additions​

• Fixes an issue with THEC64: Under some circumstances C64 games may not recognise joystick port 2 when VIC 20 is the default machine
  • Adds Datasette controls for tape files in THEC64 Classic mode Media Access menu
  • Adds soft and hard reset hot-keys to THEC64 and THEVIC20 Classic mode
  • Adds freeze button support to THEC64 and THEVIC20 Classic mode
  • Adds C64 games Barnsley Badger, Soulless, Galencia and Planet of Death, plus VIC20 games Blue Star, The Keep, and Gridrunner to THEC64 North American model
  • Adds C64 games Barnsley Badger and Soulless, plus VIC20 games Blue Star and The Keep to the European THEC64 and THEVIC20 “Special Edition THEC64” models
  • Adds C64 games Barnsley Badger and Soulless to all THEC64 Mini models

Changes from previous versions​

• 1.3.2 – Increases the length of displayed USB filenames in the File loader
  • 1.3.2 – Fixes an issue where filename flags are not detected if the USB filename contains multiple dots/periods/full stops
  • 1.3.2 – Fixes an issue with the saved states location where multiple spaces are found in the USB filename
  • 1.3.2 – Fixes the saved states location used on a USB stick to be unique per filename. Note that this may change the saved states location from previous firmware versions if the filename contains multiple dots/periods/full stops.
  • v1.3.1 – Adds a complete new free game to the GAMES CAROUSEL on THEC64 Mini. Farming Simulator by GIANTS Software GmbH
  • v1.3.1 – Adds a function to ‘Sort by’ author, composer, genre, year and title (the default) by pressing button A on the Joystick whilst on the HOME screen
  • v1.3.1 – Automatically adjusts the SID audio pitch so that it more correctly matches NTSC and PAL models (called audio scaling).
  • v1.3.1 – Introduces a new filename flag FH (‘fullheight’ when added to the X entity in a cjm file), which squeezes the entire display (including top and bottom borders) into the output image, at the expense of a perfectly scaled rendering at 720p
  • Introduces a new filename flag NS (‘noaudioscale’ when added to the X entity in a cjm file), which disables the audio scaling option (sometimes required if sampled sound is adversely affected with audio scaling on)
  • v1.3.1 – Adds an option to Shutdown the device from the Device settings menu, rather than having to press the power button
  • v1.3.1 – Extends the virtual joystick controls, adding other keypresses for highlighting and selecting options and opening and closing THEC64 Mini menu without needing a connected controller
  • v1.3.1 – Includes various firmware optimisations and enhancements since v1.2.0
  • v1.3.1 – Changes the joystick configuration for pre-installed titles on the GAMES CAROUSEL to allow some third-party controllers to now fire using their shoulder triggers
  • v1.3.1 – Improves support for third-party controllers that use axis, hat and stick buttons. You can now map functions to those buttons as well
  • v1.3.1 – Adds compatibility with THEC64 Micro Switch Joystick
  • v1.3.1 – Fixes an issue with Nobby the Aardvark on later levels. Unfortunately, this means that any previous saved games for Nobby the Aardvark are no longer available.
  • v1.2.0 – Includes Galencia Mini on the GAMES CAROUSEL
  • v1.2.0 – Introduces the Virtual Joystick
  • v1.2.0 – Improves the File Loader to allow multiple programs to be configured at once
  • v1.2.0 – Remembers the mute state of the CAROUSEL music between reboots
  • v1.2.0 – Improves the general performance of THEC64 Mini screens and menus
  • v1.1.4 – Corrects a recent firmware issue where joysticks like the Logitech F710 were no longer detected
  • v1.1.2 – Fixes an issue with some USB directory layouts resulting in an empty file list
  • v1.1.1 – Amended USB behaviour to help resolve issues users experienced with some USB memory sticks when using the File Loader
  • v1.1.0 – Introduces the File Loader so compatible programs can be loaded from USB. See File Loader for further information
  • v1.1.0 – Fixes a small issue with the German Virtual Keyboard
  • v1.1.0 – Adds the in-game help function in ‘Avenger’ to button A on the joystick
  • v1.1.0 – Includes various firmware optimisations and enhancements.

Traianvs

Just a reminder that if you don't use the included Joystick ( I use a speedlink Competition pro) you can still swap joystick port by pressing the menu button and the round right button ( the save one).
Still not very smart from them to make such an important feature not with the menu but only with hotkeys

Aarbron

Is it worth picking up one of these?

My Commodore 1084 is on its last legs, and hooking up the old C64 to a modern display is pain. :messenger_frowning_

Traianvs

Just a reminder that if you don't use the included Joystick (
Is it worth picking up one of these?

My Commodore 1084 is on its last legs, and hooking up the old C64 to a modern display is pain. :messenger_frowning_
Yes. If you can buy the C64 "maxi". The mini has no physical keyboard (but you can still connect a USB one) and the included joystick is atrocious while the one included in the maxi is much better

Bullet Club

1.5.2 is out.
  • [THEC64 Full size European] Fixes missing Bluestar carousel cover image which was broken in release v1.5.1 under some circumstances

Agent X

Here's some additional information about firmware 1.5.2 that was just posted to the official site for TheC64 & TheC64 Mini:

Just to remind you all
——-

THEC64 (2020 Christmas) Update has been released, and is now live!

Download it via this link -

http://bit.ly/theC64-1_5_2

What’s included in it? Well….

• [All models] Allows manual selection of C64 joystick port in use

• [All models] Adds Commodore REU support with 512K, 2MB or 16MB as filename flags or CJM parameters*

• Adds C64 only Classic mode to THEC64 Mini

• Adds disk swapping to THEC64 Mini

• New games for THEC64 Mini: Hessian (C64) and PET Snake (C64)

• New games for THEC64: Hessian (C64), PET Snake (C64), City Crusher(VIC20) and Mine Sweep (VIC20)

• New games for THEVIC20: Hessian (C64), PET Snake (C64), City Crusher(VIC20) and Mine Sweep (VIC20)

Some extra info you might need as well is -

To enable REU support you can use either a filename flag or a CJM file parameter. Note that REU support does not work with VIC20 software.

To select using a filename flag, use one of the following:
R5 = 512K REU enabled
R2 = 2MB REU enabled
RM = 16MB REU enabled
For example: myreudisk_R5.d64
See the user manual for further details on the use of filename flags.

To select with a CJM file, use one of the following parameters:
reu512 = 512K REU enabled
reu2048 = 2MB REU enabled
reu16384 = 16MB REU enabled
For example:
X:64,reu16384
See the user manual for further details on creating CJM files.

To switch the joystick in use between joystick port 1 or port 2 when running a C64 program, press and hold the joystick ☰ button, and then pressing joystick Ⓐ for port 1 or joystick Ⓑ for port 2. This will override the J1 filename flag or CJM primary port setting, if either are supplied.

——

Here is some additional information for #THEC64Mini users which you may have missed:

To perform a soft or hard reset, or cartridge freeze on THEC64 Mini, you will need a compatible USB PC keyboard.

A soft reset may be performed by holding the left shift key and pressing F12 when in classic mode. This will usually leave most of the C64 memory in tact.

A hard reset is done by holding the left shift key and the Windows key and pressing F12 when in classic mode. This will reset the C64 memory.

A cartridge freeze is done by holding the right shift key pressing F12 when in classic mode. If you are running a suitable cartridge image, such as a Super Snapshot or Action Replay, it will instigate the inbuilt cartridge features whilst leaving all C64 memory in tact.

——

We hope you enjoy the new features on some models and new games as appropriate! Enjoy!

Top Bottom