• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There any of you that JUST own portable systems?

I got to thinking about this the other day, and is there a large or small percentage of people that just own portable systems?

There is this indistinguishable line somewhere in all casual audiences that marks the boundary between the media/community-connected gamer (of any scale) and the wholly unconnected gamer.

Look at the Xbox and Gamecube online audiances - think about all the fan sites and community members. Then look at the Gameboy and the PS2 audiance - yeah, there is a small quantity of fan community, but why are the two most popular systems so disproportionatly represented online?

In each there is a base element that fit the term 'gamers' - often multiple console-owning, dedicated game players, but there is this massive portion of the audiance that is wholly unconnected to the gaming media and the community at large. What I can't figure out is how the PS2 and GB online audiance is totally disproportionate to that of both the Gamecube and the Xbox.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
it has to do with the type of personality that a system caters to.

gba caters to young kids who don't use the internet.

ps2, caters to casuals who, at least in my personal experiance, wouldn't even know what a message board is. And those that do know what it is would prolly consider it too nerdy of an activity to want to join in.

xbox caters to your tech junkies and pc gamers... who are obviously gonna know a thing or two about computers and can easily join in on the net community.

gamecube... I'm not so sure what the general audience is... but in my experience I mostly see gamecubes in the hands of engineering college students. engineering because thats where we geeks are studying since gamecube is certainly not for casual gamers. And college because thats where non-online multiplayer gaming (the gamecube's forte) is easily accessable and often experienced. And engineering college students are certainly going to know the internet.

I'd agree with that.

Also, with Nintendo products in general, a part of being the underdog / misunderstood (by many casual gamers and mature gaming audiances) comes the core Nintendo fanboy audience which gravitates towards like-minded gamers. Kind of like a fans of a losing football team.

See division between Sega and Nintendo gamers in the 90s and todays all-prevailient online communities (cube.ign, planetgamecube) as examples.

Ristamar

I have a friend that only owns a GBA SP....... and no games. He bought it solely to play FF:CC and Four Swords. We keep telling him to pick up a few titles (Wario Ware, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Metroid, etc.), but no luck thus far.

Ristamar said:
I have a friend that only owns a GBA SP....... and no games. He bought it solely to play FF:CC and Four Swords. We keep telling him to pick up a few titles (Wario Ware, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Metroid, etc.), but no luck thus far.

OMG NINTENDO RIPPED HIM OFF!

Ristamar

Heh. I should also add that it (and his link cable) remain at my apartment 24/7 since that's the only place he uses it.

jarrod

Banned
Me, I've only got a GBA SP now (DC, PS2 & GC have all been progressively sold off). I'll get a DS this fall, a PSP next spring and a XBox (mainly for modding/emulation purposes) whenever it hits $99. :)

Ristamar

Mr. Lemming said:
Does he at least like 4 Swords and FFCC?

Yeah, he was adamant about buying an SP as soon as I bought FF:CC (which he did). He thinks they both rock, especially FF:CC, but we haven't put much time into Four Swords yet. It's not uncommon for us to get 4 player games of each going throughout the week.

StrikerObi said:
You do understand I was being sarcastic right? I just had to with all this GBA hate on the boards recently. I love my GBA SP, just look at my avatar.
Well obviously..... I'm just shocked by how many people own both. That's why I wanted to know if some had one and not the other.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
jarrod said:
Me, I've only got a GBA SP now (DC, PS2 & GC have all been progressively sold off). I'll get a DS this fall, a PSP next spring and a XBox (mainly for modding/emulation purposes) whenever it hits $99. :)

Do you play it like crazy though? You were the only person I could think of when I saw the title, I remember being shocked in some old thread that you were <gasp!> only a GBA owner. What do you do anyway, Jarrod, I swear you know more about game publishers than anyone I see post.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ristamar said:
MAKE HIM BUY GAMES HE IS DRAGGING DOWN THE TIE RATIO [/fnaboy]

jarrod

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Do you play it like crazy though? You were the only person I could think of when I saw the title, I remember being shocked in some old thread that you were <gasp!> only a GBA owner. What do you do anyway, Jarrod, I swear you know more about game publishers than anyone I see post.
Yep, my GBA gets played nonstop. In fact that was really the reason I sold off my PS2/GC collections, I kept buying games for both, then spending all my time on GBA. Really I think every current platform out there has more than enough great content to keep anyone happy, I'm just attracted to consistantly solid GBA stuff more for some reason. It's also worth noting that I've never been big into handhelds before, at least not to the extent where I'd have considered myself a "handheld gamer" primairily.

As far as what I know/do, I just find game industry history really engaing and interesting (and I've got a decent memory). In real life I'm an artist/draftsman/sculptor/printmaker, was working at a bronze foundry (casting, welding, moldmaking, etc) but I recently quit in order to move (back) to NYC soon.

Top Bottom