• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

there hasn't been a whole lot of innovation when it comes to cereal

I'm sitting here eating a bowl of Cap'n Crunch and it got me thinking: there really hasn't been ton of innovation when it comes to cereal. 1960s-1980s seems like the golden era of cereal. when I go cereal shopping, pretty much everything on shelf has been around for at least 40 years.

giphy.gif

why do you think it is so hard to break into the cereal market? is this a rare situation where they pretty much perfected cereal a long time ago? I would say Cap'n Crunch, Honey Bunches and Oats, Lucky Charms, etc. are virtually perfect, so this might actually be the case. only exception to this rule seems to be healthy weird fad cereals, but those taste like cardboard and aren't actually real cereal.

giphy.gif

what say you?

166h.gif

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Was never a big cereal eater, but as a kid my mom would buy a lot of Sugar Crisp. Godly snack food. My siblings and I would never eat it with milk ever.

Woah, hang on- what's to innovate? It's already perfect. Cinnamon Toast Crunch exists and you sit there, safe behind your computer monitor, and have the audacity to call for any sort of change?
hey I'm pretty much on the same page as you. I really do think it's one of the few things in life that has truly been perfected. it's pretty miraculous if you really think about it. and yes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch is definitely a perfect cereal.

lem0n

hey I'm pretty much on the same page as you. I really do think it's one of the few things in life that has truly been perfected. it's pretty miraculous if you really think about it. and yes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch is definitely a perfect cereal.
Me and CTC go way back so I felt the need to step up and make sure it's good name wasn't tarnished. I'm delighted to hear you feel the same about it as I do.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There’s this cereal called magic spoon that like 75% of YouTube videos and podcasts are sponsored by and they talk about how amazing it tastes and how it has no sugar, but I looked up YouTube review of it and people say it’s gross and tastes like protein powder.

*Nightwing

J9MZxD2.jpg
ielE134.jpg
PgU3FU5.jpg

^ this has been the innovation in breakfast cereal since the late 80s, breakfast replacement.

There is no improving perfection, they have been failing to try and replace it

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
K. Trevor Wilson has been looking into this issue:

flipme

Neo Member
What about the Crunch Enhancer? it's a non-nutritive cereal varnish. It's semi-permeable, it's not osmotic, what it does is it coats and seals the flake and prevents the milk from penetrating it. Terrific product

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
They need to pour all their RnD into making cereal maintain their crunch indefinitely, while being flooded with milk.

Soggy coco pops / krispies … sad panda.

Last edited:
As a kid I bloody loved Corn Pops but this thread has just made me realise they've not been available in the UK since 2004. Tragic.

Jsisto

It’s a dying category in food stores. Never going to go away entirely, but as people have become more health conscious you’re seeing a noticeable decline in sugary cereals.

AJUMP23

I think they changed the recipe to Cinnamon Toast Crunch in the past few years. But it is still the best cereal.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
S3ES8Yol.jpg

mEfDv2Bl.png

add berries/strawberries/bananas, some yogurt, maybe some dark chocolate chips/nuts/grinded seeds, eat some oranges or have a glass of OJ

you can add some sprouted bread too from manna

hrOV1wUl.png

the grains in these products are sprouted and full of fiber and should slowly release sugar into your system without high spikes

Last edited:
S3ES8Yol.jpg

mEfDv2Bl.png

add berries/strawberries/bananas, some yogurt, maybe some dark chocolate chips, eat some oranges or have a glass of OJ

you can add some sprouted bread too from manna

hrOV1wUl.png

the grains in these products are sprouted and full of fiber and should slowly release sugar into your system without high spikes
you add bread to your cereal?

Chronicle

Yes there has. The cereal isle has grown from a half to a full isle. It's got way more shit sugary cereals too. Sugar sugar sugar.

MachRc

I hate captain crunch, it always lacerates the top of my mouth..

Ive tried some new ones I got for my kid like the Caramel Macchiato and Churro flavored ones, and those are okay..

but I always end up going back to lucky charms or frosted flakes..

Tams

There are plenty of different cereals out there OP. Judging by your OP though, you're just not being adventurous enough. Really, it's just like pretty much all other foodstuffs and beverages; it's just all become a bit wanky. 'Ancients grains' and all that shiz.

Anyway, what I've been eating for almost three decades now (not every day) is plain Shreddies, Bran Flakes, All Bran, Weetabix, granola, or muesli either just with full-fat milk (or sometimes yogurt) or adding in dried fruit, fresh fruit, nuts, etc. to my liking and according to what I have at hand. For pre-mixed stuff, I love Jordans Crunchy Oat Granola.

Cereal bar-wise, I only really like Jordans Frusli bars. Just heaven. Be Kind are good, but still a bit too dry.

For the sugar heavy ones that are essentially sweets, I only really like Cheerios (especially Honey Nut), Coco Pops, and Honey Monster Puffs.

In the UK we have a few stores dedicated to American cereals. They are treated like sweet shops. Lucky Charms are vile btw.

Actually have a family friend who does that occasionally (and not because of some stupid ad campaign). Tried it once as a child and almost puked; think drinking orange juice after cleaning your teeth. I have no idea how he does it and he swears it's good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom