• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a 2 trillion dollar company heading our way

Status
Not open for further replies.

womfalcs3

Banned
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/25/saud...mco-to-be-valued-at-more-than-2-trillion.html

Saudi Arabia confirmed on Monday that it planned to sell a stake of its state oil giant Saudi Aramco which was expected to be valued at more than $2 trillion.

The sale would be less than 5 percent of the company and would be via an initial public offering (IPO), Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said in a television interview with the Al Arabiya News Channel.

Prince Mohammed bin Salman was asked, "why less than 5%?". He said the world couldn't handle that big of a company.

sohois

Not sure I see the value of this for investors. There are plenty of ways to bet on oil prices already. And I can't imagine that Aramco will have the corporate governance necessary for them to outperform the industry in general.

Charlatan

Neo Member
So the whole company is worth 40 trillion? That's a sweet plum.

No, they're saying the whole company is expected to be valued at 2 trillion. And they're selling a 5% stake in it.

They should have done this when oil prices were high, right now it's not the best of times to do this. Might be a good deal for buyers, though, depending on how they structure it.

Joni

No, they're saying the whole company is expected to be valued at 2 trillion. And they're selling a 5% stake in it.

They should have done this when oil prices were high, right now it's not the best of times to do this. Might be a good deal for buyers, though, depending on how they structure it.

Unless they need the money right now to support their government because they don't have as much income due to low oil price.

So they are valuing themselves at 6 times there revenue in 2014? As I member of Dragons Den, I am out, its up to Debra Meaden (Unless shes busy on great British bake off)

womfalcs3

Banned
So they are valuing themselves at 6 times there revenue in 2014? As I member of Dragons Den, I am out, its up to Debra Meaden (Unless shes busy on great British bake off)

They have 260 billion barrels of recoverable oil as of today. Plus a lot of natural gas.

nubbe

What does $2 trillion dollars even look like?

it's just trillions
XI45gSS.jpg

Yoda

They are overhyping this overvalued oil company. The reason they are selling 5% is to avoid the embarrassment of not being able to sell all the shares (if they sold more).

womfalcs3

Banned
So how long until we see the worlds first trillionaire?
They say King Abdullah of Saudi was one of the world's richest. His wealth (as many of Saudi monarchs') is not public. He did spend 12 billion dollars of his own money on two academic/research centers in Saudi Arabia.

aeolist

Banned
this will be really interesting. if they have to run aramco as a public company will they still be able to get away with basically giving everyone in saudi arabia a cushy job? will the innumerable royal family members get to keep their ridiculous sinecures?

Yoda

So how long until we see the worlds first trillionaire?

Most ultra rich people (especially inherited wealth) hide it. People like Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates don't have a choice in being known as ultra rich because their wealth is derived from the stock price of Facebook and Microsoft respectively (granted Bill Gates has started a quasi hedge fund w/Berkshire Hathaway for his philanthropic efforts). Regardless, if your wealth is printed in magazines, dodges estate tax is going to be very difficult. The Rothschild family dwarfed the Rockefeller Family (at it's peak nonetheless) and if you google the network of any Rothschild it looks pretty unimpressive. But most of the Rothschild wealth is stashed away in private companies, where there is little government oversight; I'm sure it's higher than reported. Not saying they are trillionares, but I'd wager they are easily in the XXX billion range.

sflufan

Banned
this will be really interesting. if they have to run aramco as a public company will they still be able to get away with basically giving everyone in saudi arabia a cushy job? will the innumerable royal family members get to keep their ridiculous sinecures?

Excellent point indeed!

I personally can't wait to see the attempts at "transparency" that the Saudi government will claim with this.

TheMan

They say King Abdullah of Saudi was one of the world's richest. His wealth (as many of Saudi monarchs') is not public. He did spend 12 billion dollars of his own money on two academic/research centers in Saudi Arabia.

Interesting. So bill gates, Carlos slim, etc being the richest in the world wasn't really true. I mean, assuming the king owns a sizable share of that oil company, his wealth would have dwarfed those other guys

Clefargle

Most ultra rich people (especially inherited wealth) hide it. People like Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates don't have a choice in being known as ultra rich because their wealth is derived from the stock price of Facebook and Microsoft respectively (granted Bill Gates has started a quasi hedge fund w/Berkshire Hathaway for his philanthropic efforts). Regardless, if your wealth is printed in magazines, dodges estate tax is going to be very difficult. The Rothschild family dwarfed the Rockefeller Family (at it's peak nonetheless) and if you google the network of any Rothschild it looks pretty unimpressive. But most of the Rothschild wealth is stashed away in private companies, where there is little government oversight; I'm sure it's higher than reported. Not saying they are trillionares, but I'd wager they are easily in the XXX billion range.

Yeah I know that. I'm just wondering how long, at this rate until an individual becomes the first modern trillionaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom