• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a Clear Line From Gamergate to the Election of Donald Trump

Budi

Don't give them credit when they don't deserve it. As other said, symptom, not the cause.

Yup, is Gamergate even big enough to have actual effect. Only Gaf is keeping them alive in my eyes. I don't really read Youtube comments or Twitch chat though so maybe that's why I rarely notice it mentioned besides Gaf.

So I guess, if you want your anime titty games, vote with your wallet? Instead of sending death threats to some lady who makes YouTube videos? And jesus christ, talk about the Streisand Effect with Sarkeesian. 99% of the time she comes up, it's some alt-righter screaming bloody murder.

In this case it seems like you're the one screaming bloody murder?

I mean, I wanted to see what you were talking about with these people always coming out of the woodwork to freak out. I searched this thread for "Sarkeesian" and all I saw was someone calmly explaining why they thought her videos might promote a chilling effect. Like in the mildest, most careful wording possible, because they knew it was thin ice around here.

Why are you accusing them of making death threats? They explained that they're a libertarian who voted for Hillary, why are you calling them a screaming alt-righter?

Shai-Tan

Banned
In some ways it does mirror the 90s. There were culture wars about political correctness, postmodernism/cultural relativism/the science wars, second wave vs third wave feminism, etc Some of those debates have returned and new ones have formed around activism, magnified by mass social platforms like twitter and facebook.

Single source of news is always a bad thing. I remember some mod chastising someone who said they read all their news from NeoGAF.

After the election, that definitely is a bad idea. You always have to challenge yourself to read views and opinions that may not align with yours. Goes for everyone here.

This belongs in off-topic

You better add more than that or you'll probably get banned. Thread whining without reason normally results in one.

I definitely saw similarities between the way zoe quinn and Hillary Clinton were portrayed on the Internet.

No evidence to back up the accusations against them but in the end it didn't matter, even when the truth is revealed.

Trolls have too much influence.

Some Nobody

Possibly?

But I don't see a direct clear line. It's more fuzzy. Romney got more votes than Trump, so I'm not sure how many voters were activated to vote by GG or the Alt Right.

It's this that leads me to think we're all overthinking things, and an application of Occam's Razor would be illuminating. We're spending so much time trying to figure out how this could've happened, when the simplest answer is likely the most accurate. Romney got embarrassed by Obama in 2012 and still managed to get more votes than Trump.

In my mind, this leads to a handful of conclusions:

- There are a certain number of people who are always going to vote Red, because "fuck you, that's why" (in this situation, you being the Democratic party). It never mattered what Trump was saying, they were going to vote Red regardless. The preliminary polls never mattered because the election day polls are the ones that most people actually care enough about to go out and DO something.

- For a number of reasons, people saw Hillary as unlikable, and Trump as "deplorable". Voter turnout was down compared to 2012. So ultimately, way too many people looked at Trump, and looked at Hillary, and just decided "fuck it, I'll stay home" or voted third party. (Which garnered a surprising five million+ votes between the two main contenders.)

In my mind, Trump didn't "galvanize" any new faction of voters. I saw a map with what each state looks like broken down by race and race/gender. The white male map was overwhelmingly red, but y'know what...? So was the white female. Trump said all this disgusting shit about women and yet white women turned out in droves to vote for him anyway. More white women voted Trump than Hillary, even. GOP voters are going to vote GOP, period.

Liberal voters on the other hand? Turn like the wind. Logic says if you can't get what you want, at least get SOMETHING. Bernie probably would've made this election look like 2008 for democrats. But he couldn't nail the black vote, a fact that puzzled my friends and I (all of us black) to no end. Meanwhile the rest of liberal voters either decided "fuck it, I won't vote" or to vote Jill Stein or whatever. You wanted what you wanted or "nothing", and nothing's what you got. The unwillingness to compromise is what got us here. Nobody knows who the fuck Gamergate is--I have to explain its existence to people I know that play LOTS of fucking games, and that's where their influence is supposed to "matter". When you say that you mean alt-right, and even THOSE losers didn't really do more than what they were always going to do.

Apathy is what got us here. If you want to write think pieces, let's figure out what it was about Hillary that made so many voters nope the fuck away from the polls.

EmiPrime

Yes. But it quickly activated a ton of people who had zero previous interest in politics or culture wars. And it codified the tools of the alt-right, from language, to brigading, to harassment techniques, which within months spread to every single other medium from books to television, and around a year in became the most visible form of online right-wing discourse.

I don't buy it when people say GG was some isolated gaming-only thing. You're being disingenuous, or you never really followed what was happening. Three years ago, communication online looked entirely different pre-GG compared to how it does now.

Before GG, this entire style existed in the limp-dicked corners of the MRA/MGTOW/Red Pill world, completely powerless to affect the discourse. After GG, and all the mainstream coverage it got, everything changed. These people are now the loudest voice in America. GG gave them the template to achieve that.

The Tea Party was firmly engaged in dogwhistle politics. They attracted racists looking for a home, but not really much beyond the usual Southern Strategy pandering the mainstream GOP engages in.

They were also far more interested in actual policy. Unrealistic, idiotic policies, but policies nonetheless. Above all, their goal was to dismantle as much of the federal government as possible, and cut as many taxes as possible including things like the tariffs Trump supporters are so interested in.

There's overlap, sure, but I don't really think the two movements are outgrowths of the same thing. Few Republicans wanted Trump out of the picture during the primaries like Tea Partiers did. They're all about ideological purity.

Great summary, thank you.

Kalopsia

Neo Member
GG and Trump are both symptoms of a much larger backlash against progressivism and multi-culturalism from largely working-class whites.

They share similar players and similar origins, but saying one led directly into the other is counter-productive.

It's this that leads me to think we're all overthinking things, and an application of Occam's Razor would be illuminating. We're spending so much time trying to figure out how this could've happened, when the simplest answer is likely the most accurate. Romney got embarrassed by Obama in 2012 and still managed to get more votes than Trump.

In my mind, this leads to a handful of conclusions:

- There are a certain number of people who are always going to vote Red, because "fuck you, that's why" (in this situation, you being the Democratic party). It never mattered what Trump was saying, they were going to vote Red regardless. The preliminary polls never mattered because the election day polls are the ones that most people actually care enough about to go out and DO something.

- For a number of reasons, people saw Hillary as unlikable, and Trump as "deplorable". Voter turnout was down compared to 2012. So ultimately, way too many people looked at Trump, and looked at Hillary, and just decided "fuck it, I'll stay home" or voted third party. (Which garnered a surprising five million+ votes between the two main contenders.)

In my mind, Trump didn't "galvanize" any new faction of voters. I saw a map with what each state looks like broken down by race and race/gender. The white male map was overwhelmingly red, but y'know what...? So was the white female. Trump said all this disgusting shit about women and yet white women turned out in droves to vote for him anyway. More white women voted Trump than Hillary, even. GOP voters are going to vote GOP, period.

Liberal voters on the other hand? Turn like the wind. Logic says if you can't get what you want, at least get SOMETHING. Bernie probably would've made this election look like 2008 for democrats. But he couldn't nail the black vote, a fact that puzzled my friends and I (all of us black) to no end. Meanwhile the rest of liberal voters either decided "fuck it, I won't vote" or to vote Jill Stein or whatever. You wanted what you wanted or "nothing", and nothing's what you got. The unwillingness to compromise is what got us here. Nobody knows who the fuck Gamergate is--I have to explain its existence to people I know that play LOTS of fucking games, and that's where their influence is supposed to "matter". When you say that you mean alt-right, and even THOSE losers didn't really do more than what they were always going to do.

Apathy is what got us here. If you want to write think pieces, let's figure out what it was about Hillary that made so many voters nope the fuck away from the polls.

All true. Well said.

Arthur-Hucksake

Neo Member
It's pretty clear what is happening in the world.

The modern Liberal likes to protest and shout down everyday people who have their own opinions on different things. Branding them bigots, racists.... when in fact they could be commenting on a general issue. i.e a points system is the fairest immigration policy. Millennial Liberals would shout down folk here for even suggesting it.

In angst, they take it to the voting booth and before we know it..... Brexit and Trump happens.

It's the only way they feel they have a voice.

The protests after the Trump vote pretty much sum up the same morons that caused this domino effect.

Jumping up and down and shouting people down to get your own way will get you nowhere. The people will just go against you out of spite.

It's awful to be honest. A lot of these voters were probably democrat / left and switched up within the past five years. Being progressive is meant to be about understanding, discussion and forum. Not ranting to get your own way like some spoilt bully.

Thabass

GamerGate is just part of the war on Political Correctness. It seeped into the gaming culture and part of that was the supposed "ethics in journalism" as many outlets began to get more and more PC in their writing.

But I wouldn't necessarily say that was the start of Donald Trump. Trump has always wanted to get into politics. All the way back into the 1980's. He always said he didn't really wanna run, until I wanted to.

As for Gamegate vs. PC, that was just part of the long war of people that hate PC, it just finally hit the gaming culture. At least that's my opinion on it.

I'm not accusing that poster of making death threats personally, it's obvious that I'm referring to what GG got up to. That's how that movement reacted to the existence of Sarkeesian's videos.

I don't think "screaming bloody murder" is uncalled for even applied directly to his post. He's talking about the end of free speech as an outgrowth of some YouTube videos, FFS.

I mean, that's a bit much, isn't it?

From what I understand, a chilling effect is a deterrent to certain kinds of actions or speech, due to some perceived consequence/threat if you say or do those things.

Do you think expressing opinions opposed to hers is welcome around here? Heck, maybe people just expect a reaction like yours and don't want to be accused of screaming bloody murder or being alt-right.

Even though opinions opposed to hers shouldn't be expressed because they are shitty or harmful, can you really blame someone for noticing the lack of an opposing viewpoint and interpreting it that way?

Not all chilling effects need to be seen as a negative thing.

EDIT: To make it doubly clear, this is not a claim that anyone opposed to Anita Sarkeesian deserves a voice, or deserves to be welcomed. This is just saying that yeah, factually maybe there has been a chilling effect, and it's probably justified.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I know I am going to probably get a lot of hate for this. I am a libertarian, and while I voted for Hillary Clinton and tend to support Democrats moreso than Republicans, I am somewhat optimistic that *some* good will probably come out of a Trump administration.

To be clear, I do not support the harassment of anyone. That being said, I believe that Sarkeesian's actions have had a clear and dangerous chilling effect on the constitutional right to freedom of speech. As I have said before in response to defenders of censorship in games: If you do not like the content in a game. Don't buy it. Speak with your wallet, and allow others to do the same. Money should ultimately determine what content is in videogames.

Whining about Anita? That's some smart decision making.

The Term Alt-Right only serves to normalize them.

Don't use their framing or you already lost the debate. Call a spade a fucking spade.

Yep. Call them white nationalists. No need to whitewash them.

It's disturbing the lengths people are going to avoid saying it.

Ehh, this is a total stretch. Plenty of the things in the OP have been around for far longer than Gamergate. Being old enough to pay attention to the news in the 90's and listen to blowhards like Limbaugh, there was the whole anti "Political Correctness" movement even back then (hell I remember watching this movie growing up).

The 'alt-right' has been around for a long while, even if there was no name for the movement (maybe "paleocon", which was used to describe people like Pat Buchannan, though it could be that paleocon and alt-right have some vague differences?). Pick up artist blogs, MRAs, Roissy/RooshV/Steve Sailer/Brietbart, all existed and were posting regularly before Depression Quest even got released.

Gamergate (is this even really an organized movement anymore? tbh I don't hear much about it outside from it being a GAF boogeyman) is just the sinister side of internet democracy at work. The reason why Trump won has nothing to do with 'ethics in games journalism', it has to do with one opponent appealing to the 'silent majority', victims of globalization, protectionists and anti-immigration, and his opponent completely taking her base for granted and running a terrible, tone-deaf campaign.
Bernie supporter who voted for Hillary in the general, here.

They dwell in the KiA forums. They're very much still trying to fuck with people.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
People really need some perspective on all this. I remember when Nintendo would censor the crosses on gravestones. When games like Sweet Home and Shin Megami Tensei had zero chance of being localized due to their content. When every beer suddenly became a friendly sodey-pap in the U.S. version.

Young nerds throwing a fit, blaming some damn YouTube videos for a phenomenon that was far worse in the good old days they pine for. And he's talking about voting with your dollars? Maybe if enough people bought DOAXBV2 you'd have no problem grabbing a localized version of the sequel today. The cultural climate turned against games like that, sure, but make no mistake: Koei-Tecmo made that decision based on how much grief they might get balanced with how much money they'd actually make. If it was just about anime titties being a no-go, the mainline DOA series would be, uh, (sorry about this) DOA.

So I guess, if you want your anime titty games, vote with your wallet? Instead of sending death threats to some lady who makes YouTube videos? And jesus christ, talk about the Streisand Effect with Sarkeesian. 99% of the time she comes up, it's some alt-righter screaming bloody murder.
Yeah, the younger set latching onto this 'political correctness' bogeyman definitely smacks of a lack of perspective. Not 20 years ago, people were shocked when someone said 'shit' in a game. Popular comedians are more vulgar than ever, shows full of mature content rule TV ratings.

The only thing that's gotten more prurient in the last few years is tolerance for hate speech and tactless jokes at the expense of minorities, and media that portrays women as little more than trophies with tits. If you think those are negative changes that need to be fought back against, maybe consider that you might be a bit of a shit.

Arthur-Hucksake

Neo Member
Yeah, the younger set latching onto this 'political correctness' bogeyman definitely smacks of a lack of perspective. Not 20 years ago, people were shocked when someone said 'shit' in a game. Popular comedians are more vulgar than ever, shows full of mature content rule TV ratings.

The only thing that's gotten more prurient in the last few years is tolerance for hate speech and tactless jokes at the expense of minorities, and media that portrays women as little more than trophies with tits. If you think those are negative changes that need to be fought back against, maybe consider that you might be a bit of a shit.

But it's still creative freedom. Not everything can suit everyone. If you don't like it, stay away. Some things put the jeepers up me, I stay away from them.

I think the biggest issue is the outrage and reaction to certain things. Blown far out of proportion.

But it's still creative freedom. Not everything can suit everyone. If you don't like it, stay away. Some things put the jeepers up me, I stay away from them.

I think the biggest issue is the outrage and reaction to certain things. Blown far out of proportion.

Creative freedom doesn't shield you from criticism, neither does the first amendment. And if that public and fair criticism causes, in this case, a publisher to decide not to release a particular game because they don't believe the profits outweigh the criticism, so be it. That's not censorship, that's the free market at work.

Permanently A

This guy doesn't seem to think so.

EMNedTp.png

Gamergate is mostly made up of gullible idiots, not the alt-right.

This is some Costanza shit.

jurgen

I don't think it's coming from a lack of historical perspective. The "political correctness" boogeyman and all responses to it seem to be fairly kneejerk and comes and goes in waves. There was a burst of PC in the early 90s then a resistance that led to the 2000s giving us things like uncensored cursing, nudity, violence etc. on television and videogames and whatnot. This was met with a harsh backlash from a weird hybrid of PC organizations and religious groups and a very aggressive FCC. This has just gone back and forth constantly throughout the years.

I'd disagree about popular comedians being more vulgar than ever though. Looking at the major comedians right now, we've come a long fucking way from the years of Andrew Dice Clay.

brinstar

When people don't like something they comment on it. I don't get why we can have threads filled with pages of critique of game design and framerates and pricing and shit but the second social issues come up it's suddenly too far.

Alo0oy

Banned
OK, ESA's 2016 facts (PDF) http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/Essential-Facts-2016.pdf

EDIT Though it seems this is limited to the US?

59% male
41% female

BUT

Women age 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the
game-playing population (31%) than boys age 18 or younger (17%)

So, i may have been wrong. I swear i've seen something that claimed women are the majority but i will admit i cannot be be sure. Memory is unreliable.
Will keep digging.

EDIT And if this is limited to US, my memory may be about a world-wide thing. Unsure.

There's this as well.

9SfMQ3Y.png

18-49 seems to be the biggest age group.

http://segmentnext.com/2015/11/04/r...&utm_campaign=Feed:+Segmentnext+(SegmentNext)

psyfi

Banned
Absolutely. Gamers and people in geek culture in general need to be serious about not accepting white supremacist, sexist bullshit in our circles. Likewise, we need to support women and people of color in our scenes, as well as trans people, immigrants, disabled people, and everyone else Trump and his neo-nazi fanbase target. There can be no room for hate in gaming culture.

Lime

Some white straight men are so fragile that non-white, non-straight, non-cismale men exist in their vicinity, that they are willing to join a hate movement and willingly vote in a fascist and his horror cabinet to the office of a world superpower.

Miletius

PC culture whining started long before gator dicks.

True. But Gamersgate has been symptomatic of the alt-right phenomenon. You have a small group of disaffected constituents who learned to use the tools of the internet to campaign for their cause. Using these tools they harassed, bullied, and shut down opposition. Although Gamersgate was ultimately a failed movement it served as an amazing training ground, a political campaign over something "trivial." Some of these individuals used their newfound knowledge and applied it to a more broad platform in 2016. And I have no doubt that they are now celebrating, because the change they helped create also empowered them and gave them a framework from which to operate in the future.

No, they are not the sole reason that DJT is our next president. But they are now a political force to be reckoned with -- one that has learned from it's past mistakes and now has an operative in the highest branch of government. They also have a dedicated alternative media which can speak directly to them and activate them again in the future.

Lime

Gamergate is just a symptom of a much larger issue. Lots of young and old white men and women feel disenfranchised by the left. They are told they are stupid rednecks for disagreeing with progressives. They are called racist for supporting their party's candidate. They are mocked for their religious views. They are told they are racist for supporting police. In rural parts of the country they are seeing their wealth deteriorate and their white culture erode. I'm not defending anything about the right nor do I feel sorry for them, don't get me wrong. What I see though, is a large group of our country that is feeling left out, forgotten, and voiceless. These people showed up in droves to have their voices heard, for good or for bad. You can call them stupid and clueless and awful, but that doesn't change the fact they voted. GG didn't get Trump elected. Their is certainly a backlash against political correctness and Trump tapped into that to get elected. If progressives want to win again in 4 years they need to figure out how be less abrasive to this group.

If only people were as horrified about actually being racist and/or behaving in racist ways as they are about being called racist.

Huh? I think it's less of a clear line and more of an obvious thing. But I don't think any 4channer or GGer even left their houses to vote, lol.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What was the average age of people involved in gamergate? The overwhelming majority of younger people voted for Clinton, so I don't know that these are connected.

Lime

What was the average age of people involved in gamergate? The overwhelming majority of younger people voted for Clinton, so I don't know that these are connected.

I think it's because there's still a sizable portion of young people (especially white men) who follow the same lines of thought when it comes to diversity. It's not the majority, but it's significant.

(anecdotal) There are so many white male nerds I've met who are Gamergaters or MRAs. I think it's like 70% of those I've met and talked to who when the issue comes up, they start saying

I.e. there is something related to the identity of a Gamergater that runs in parallel with the white supremacist, homophobic, misogynist (especially) trends we see in the so-called alt-right movement. And these aren't necessarily your old uncle saying racist shit at the dinner table, but young adult men who are somehow extremely angry because equality to them feels like oppression.

I don't think it's a line, I think both are a symptom of an underlying problem and that problem is that there's a certain section of populations, seeing the rise of political correctness, of awareness for LGBT+ issues, of women in traditionally male roles along with a view that the left wing managed to alienate a large number of people with a rigid "you're either with us our against us" mentality who feel their voices were no longer being recognised. "Special snowflake" is an insult that is thrown at left wing people, but I think it applies to the right just as much.

I feel like the right are on the rise because we, the left, failed to engage them, to find what their concerns were and educate and address them, instead we tried to silence them and, like anything that ends up silenced, it gets driven underground but comes back much more vitriolic and much more extreme. Don't be surprised if, for a while, the voices of the left is a whimper against a thunderous right wing Trumpet. We didn't listen to them then, why would they listen to us now? This also isn't be dismissing anything, I'm angry, more so than I've ever been politically in my life, I'm just trying to see why someone would have voted for something like this.

It's no surprise that Brexit being pushed by the right, Trump and the increased support for the right in Europe are happening at the same time

Timeaisis

Your reasoning is spurious. Your assuming GG caused all this, while disregarding whether or not Trump's presidency and GG originate from the same cause, or are completely unrelated entirely. Most probably, there was a root cause for both occurring, and that was the backlash against political correctness.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc and all that.

Some Nobody

If only people were as horrified about actually being racist and/or behaving in racist ways as they are about being called racist.

This is accurate. The other end of the equation to this "why Trump won" stuff that drives me up a wall is the conservative half. Liberals are struggling to figure out who voted for him (which is obvious), while apologists are saying Trump got votes because of a "silent majority" that are "tired of PC culture" or being called racist. They're both fucking wrong, and even if apologists were accurate that wouldn't make it better. You got tired of being called sexist, racist, or homo/transphobic so you voted for a guy who was sexist and racist that had a running mate who was homo/transphobic. Yup, that checks out.

There's certainly people who are all too eager to start slinging names about at even fellow liberals for not "checking their privilege" enough during arguments. But THAT idiocy is a far cry from calling an "All Lives Matter" supporter a racist. Sorry not sorry.

Lime

I don't think it's a line, I think both are a symptom of an underlying problem and that problem is that there's a certain section of populations, seeing the rise of political correctness, of awareness for LGBT+ issues, of women in traditionally male roles along with a view that the left wing managed to alienate a large number of people with a rigid "you're either with us our against us" mentality who feel their voices were no longer being recognised. "Special snowflake" is an insult that is thrown at left wing people, but I think it applies to the right just as much.

I feel like the right are on the rise because we, the left, failed to engage them, to find what their concerns were and educate and address them, instead we tried to silence them and, like anything that ends up silenced, it gets driven underground but comes back much more vitriolic and much more extreme. Don't be surprised if, for a while, the voices of the left is a whimper against a thunderous right wing Trumpet. We didn't listen to them then, why would they listen to us now? This also isn't be dismissing anything, I'm angry, more so than I've ever been politically in my life, I'm just trying to see why someone would have voted for something like this.

It's no surprise that Brexit being pushed by the right, Trump and the increased support for the right in Europe are happening at the same time

But to what extent do we acknowledge a position of bigotry? And how do you deal with someone who thinks women should shut up and leave gaming if they can't handle the harassment? Or someone who spews diet racism again and again? And to repeat "If only people were as horrified about actually being racist and/or behaving in racist ways as they are about being called racist." I don't get the whole "if you call me a racist I'm going to vote for a racist presidential candidate and empower fascism".

Why do people with abhorrent beliefs deserve special treatment in order to convince them to lay off their bigotry, while people at the margins don't receive similar special treatment? Why do these bigots have to be the center of how to improve the lives of others?

EDIT: Exactly what Some Nobody just wrote:

This is accurate. The other end of the equation to this "why Trump won" stuff that drives me up a wall is the conservative half. Liberals are struggling to figure out who voted for him (which is obvious), while apologists are saying Trump got votes because of a "silent majority" that are "tired of PC culture" or being called racist. They're both fucking wrong, and even if apologists were accurate that wouldn't make it better. You got tired of being called sexist, racist, or homo/transphobic so you voted for a guy who was sexist and racist that had a running mate who was homo/transphobic. Yup, that checks out.

There's certainly people who are all too eager to start slinging names about at even fellow liberals for not "checking their privilege" enough during arguments. But THAT idiocy is a far cry from calling an "All Lives Matter" supporter a racist. Sorry not sorry.

Your reasoning is spurious. Your assuming GG caused all this, while disregarding whether or not Trump's presidency and GG originate from the same cause, or are completely unrelated entirely. Most probably, there was a root cause for both occurring, and that was the backlash against political correctness.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc and all that.

Gamergate didn't cause all of this, but I don't think there is an "Alt-Right" Movement without Gamergate.

I dont think the rise of gamergate caused Trump win. The direct line is there in the sense that gamergate base wholely supported Trump. But so did white working class voters, who are the real cause of Trump win.

Lime

Matt Lees had an interesting post about it:

CxO5StmXcAAl80t.jpg

The news about senior staff being afraid and scared is really, really worrying.

But to what extent do we acknowledge a position of bigotry? And how do you deal with someone who thinks women should shut up and leave gaming if they can't handle the harassment? Or someone who spews diet racism again and again? And to repeat "If only people were as horrified about actually being racist and/or behaving in racist ways as they are about being called racist." I don't get the whole "if you call me a racist I'm going to vote for a racist presidential candidate and empower fascism".

Why do people with abhorrent beliefs deserve special treatment in order to convince them to lay off their bigotry, while people at the margins don't receive similar special treatment? Why do these bigots have to be the center of how to improve the lives of others?

EDIT: Exactly what Some Nobody just wrote:

These are all questions I've asked, not on here, but I have been continually met with "failure to engage" and I have TRIED to see it from another point of view. I literally posted on an article today about Neo Nazis in Sweden and said "Apparently, we're supposed to engage with these people..." and was met with "you have to" and I can't. I just can't. My conscience won't allow it, even typing that previous, it goes against the very basic principles I hold to engage bigotry as if it's a legitimate political stance to take.

Lime

Gamergate didn't cause all of this, but I don't think there is an "Alt-Right" Movement without Gamergate.

Really!? You do realize 4chan existed long long long before GG. Do you really think people weren't sick to death of the perpetually offended before GG? Nothing about video games inspired the alt-right movement. GG is just the gaming manifestation of the alt right not a cause.

Top Bottom