• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will be no daily & flash deals in the upcoming Steam Autumn sale (25/11)

Momentary

Banned
Most people in my line of work who shop on STEAM don't care about dailies or even knew how the system worked. They know that Valve offers sales during certain times of the year and that's about it. Even after me trying to tell them about dailies or flash deals, they buy the game anyways.

Can't say I'm going to miss checking up on sale rotations. It also makes it easier for me to tell my co-workers about it without having to sit them down and teach a class to them on how they need to wait on flash deals, daily changes, and all that other convuluded crap.

Well this was unexpected but I'm fine with it, I know that it was funny to wait and see a new pack of games showing in the Flash Sales and Daily Deals but I was getting sick to wait and see if one of my wishlisted games would show up with a deeper discount and at the end such game wasn't on the list... anyways I hope Valve changes the Steam Sales for good!

213372bu

Banned
I don't understand why people are happy this isn't going on any longer.

You guys know there was often a bonus "encore" day with no dailies/flashes so that you could buy things after you were done waiting right?

In this case you're just gonna get the same ol' vanilla sales, since no developer is willing to drop their prices 75-95% off,depending on the titles, for the entire duration.

Oreoleo

As someone who's going to be out of town and not parked in front of their PC for 4 days... I'm okay with this. I was dreading trying to stay on top of the sale through my phone, all while visiting family. Thanks Valve!

..but do this during the Xmas sale and heads will roll.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Wait for the numbers to come out and show how the sale prices will stay higher across the board comparatively to previous years. I cannot see them maintaining the same kinds of offers in this setup.

MissChief

I really don't understand why people think we won't receive any deep discounts. In the past, if the base discount was (for example) 50% and flash discount was 75%, that means the game was still profitable enough to sell at 75%. But since they had to give 2 different numbers, they gave 50% for the base discount. (They couldn't make the 75% the base discount and sell the game at a loss for the flash sale).

But now, they can only give one number, they are most likely to drop the 50%, NOT the 75%. The publishers aren't stupid, they know the higher the discount, the higher the sales will be. And they don't want to risk customers with a limited budget that might buy a similar game because it was cheaper.

You guys know there was often a bonus "encore" day with no dailies/flashes so that you could buy things after you were done waiting right?

Only a fraction of all good deals made it onto an encore day, and encore days do not give flash/daily prices on games that were not voted for.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
But now, they can only give one number, they are most likely to drop the 50%, NOT the 75%. The publishers aren't stupid, they know the higher the discount, the higher the sales will be. And they don't want to risk customers with a limited budget that might buy a similar game because it was cheaper.

On the contrary, because beyond a certain point you don't impact your sales volume as much you'd think. Look at pricing behaviors of the indies in 2015 as compared to 2010. The $20 price point is far more common, and only then are titles slowly edged downwards. There is much more profit to be had by siphoning as slowly and as much as you can from every sale.

213372bu

Banned
Only a fraction of all good deals made it onto an encore day, and encore days do not give flash/daily prices on games that were not voted for.

Well, I was talking about the regular sale prices.

And I don't see devs compensating with a higher discount than they normally would.

Oh well.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So you prefer to save less money? Do people really find it difficult to check Steam on their PC/Phone/Tablet once every 8 hours?
Yes. That is exactly what I said. I only prefer to save a certain amount of money per sale. :p

In all seriousness, it was frustrating not so much for checking once every eight hours (though why should I have to do that during a sale anyway? That puts work on the consumer that should be on Valve/the publishers, not me), but if you thought an item was discounted as low as it would realistically go, then it went lower. Case in point, not long after Wolfenstein: The New Order was released, it went on sale for 50% during one of the big Steam sales. For a game that was relatively new, this seemed like the lowest it would go during the sale, so I got it. A few days later, it went for 66% briefly, then back again.

I'll take the sale where it's 66% off the entire time. And if a game is not the lowest price it's historically been (thanks Enhanced Steam!) then I'll wait for another time.

You know what's even more consistent?
My losing streak on de_mirage?

MissChief

There is much more profit to be had by siphoning as slowly and as much as you can from every sale.

It's true that some publisher use this business model, but I'm not entirely sure if this is a smart business move. I speak for myself but I had multiple occasions that I simply removed games from my Steam wishlist, because I waited to long for a good discount, all hype that I had for a game was completely gone and the fact that in the mean time much better games were released in same genre.

Kinda sucks for games that are cheaper at retail then on steam, Transformers Devastation most likely will only be 5-10bucks off.
I mean Ubisoft and Activision never do great deals, dailies were pretty the only time they had a good bang for buck.

yogloo

This is so dissapointing. Steam sales was always really fun. But I guess it makes sense for normal consumers, I imagine there is a lot of people who got burned for not waiting for flash sales. Those sure are not happy customers.

derExperte

In all seriousness, it was frustrating not so much for checking once every eight hours (though why should I have to do that during a sale anyway?

We haven't had 8hr flashs in a long time, didn't they run 24hrs this summer (while updating every 12)? Also Valve eliminated voting and repeats and with refunds you could avoid paying too much for a game that later got a lower discount. Most of the complaints brought up here were actually not an issue anymore anyway, I get that some aren't able to check the store once a day every day but almost all other sales work the same. See Amazon's big ones or anything connected to Black Friday, they're even more 'extreme'. For good reasons because that's how you keep interest up. Or look at GOG.com, they've been trying new stuff all the time and the majority is fine with it. Though you could say Valve are experimenting too and there's still hope for something else happening that we're not aware of yet. We'll see how it goes.

We'll have to see if this stretches on to the winter sale, but hopefully not. That would suck bad, it's a huge thing that people look forward to and it keeps every day of the sale exciting.

I think this change will be a net negative for many hardcore consumers, most indie devs and mid-tier devs. Discovery of under-the-radar games will be harmed.

It will make almost zero difference for casual gamers...it may even be a good thing for them. I don't think their buying habits during sales will change in any significant way. They don't really care much about the specifics of Steam sales. All that matters to them is that the sale will be ongoing from date X to date Y.

It will be a net positive for big publishers and perhaps Valve themselves.

Personally, I don't particularly mind this change to the Steam autumn (and presumably winter and onward) sales.

The Steam store is becoming more and more of a typical utilitarian e-commerce storefront.

Aaron D.

So for the slower among us, Sale prices on Day One remain locked in until the Final Day with no new deals or deeper discounts in between?

And this is confirmed?

This actually makes it more likely I'll buy stuff. Some years I ignore the sale because it requires too much time to try to get the best deals.

Kinyou

This would be great if all games are permanently at their daily & flash low, but I assume that wont be the case.

Javaman

If they did, none of this crap about "If you own a game in the bundle, you're buying a second copy you don't receive." Discount it like GOG or grant an extra copy into Steam Inventory.

One or two publishers actually did that once during a sale. It was great. I don't remember which steam sale it was though. Maybe the one that looked like a catalog with a blue background iirc.

It pissea me off to no end missing a couple games in a publishers pack and not having a prorated price or an extra copy if you buy the pack.

I'd be genuinely surprised to see any game have anything more than a 66% discount now.

Wow, this could prove to be an absolutely awful decision.. Seriously, I'd log in each day and check out the front page specifically to see what was on the dailys and flash sales, Now I can see myself checking out the store once, seeing a load of 50% discounts and then not ever looking again.

Thank god for the (admitedly very rarely particularly decent) humble bundles.

GametimeUK

I'd rather miss out on a great deal than not have the opportunity to get the great deal in the first place. This kind of sucks. As Steam gets more popular, Valve don't have to try as much. It's kind of a shame, but it's to be expected.

Lame. Now big games won't ever get as cheap as they used to be in flashes or dailys. So I'll check the store out for the first day, see a whole bunch of crappy deals and never look at it again until the sales event is over.

I'd rather miss out on a great deal than not have the opportunity to get the great deal in the first place. This kind of sucks. As Steam gets more popular, Valve don't have to try as much. It's kind of a shame, but it's to be expected.

This is the likely truth.

The demand is dictating the prices.

Salbug

Oh. Well I guess that means I'll save a bit more money at the end of every sale then. Kind of a shame since dailies, and flash sales were fun to check up on.

718.gif

soco

sad, but the last few sales have been yawn-worthy anyway.

I've also grabbed more than enough over the years, so there's only a few indies and new titles i'd really want :\

Top Bottom