• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's absolutely no chance that Sony would ever make a Demon's Souls 2 (right?)

Perkel

Banned
Played both and Deamon Souls > Dark Souls

Sure DS1 have open world (kind of) but actual climate, story, npcs are simply better in Deamons Souls.

Both games can live on market it's not like there is any competition out there.

Hydrargyrus

Oh god no. Demon's Souls coming back as some God of War re-texture with combo's out the ass? No thanks!

No, came on. I'm talking about making a true Demon's Souls, with all its points, but made by a top notch team from Sony WW studios.

I've said Santa Monica because I'm starting to get tired about the GOW series and they could fit in that type of game, but I don't care if it's done by Sony's Japan Studio

I don't think DeSouls 2 will ever come out. Sony "owns" the ip, but let's be realistic - theres no way Sony will screw over FROM and by association, Namco Bandai over a franchise they never expected to go anywhere in the first place.

Sentenza

I don't get why people clamor for a Demon's Souls 2. That IS dark souls, even if you preferred Demon's to it, it has nothing to do with the name.
Misplaced brand loyalty, I guess.
Sony people who want their exclusive Sony franchises and being surrounded just by Sony things and their Sony-oriented friends.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I can't see both Dark and Demons Souls being continued. Would feel extremely weird because puting aside a few difference here and there Dark Souls already is the direct sequel. Having both series running at the same time would make no sense at all.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Didn't they sell Crash/Spyro to Activision?

Those were a partnership between Sony and Vivendi/Universal, Vivendi owned the character rights and then they were bought out by Activision. Sony's partnership ended after the run of titles on the PS1.

Valkyria

Banned
I don't understand why can't you guys just play DS.

Better to play more games, no?

I actually don't get why people hates that people want a game to be made and claiming fanboyism out of it. Actually I think that it's projecting their selfs into others.

Ridley327

Didn't they sell Crash/Spyro to Activision?

No; they never sold those IPs to Activision since Sony never owned them to begin with. Vivendi-Universal always owned them, as they were created on the Universal Studios backlot. Sony acted as the publisher and took care of the marketing, but that was it.

Jawmuncher

They could turn it into a portable series, would be able to do its own thing and not clash with the console/PC Dark Souls.

This seems like the smartest move to me. Let dark souls have the reign on consoles while demons does its own thing on vita

Taruranto

Better to play more games, no?

I actually don't get why people hates that people want a game to be made and claiming fanboyism out of it. Actually I think that it's projecting their self into others.

DS is basically DeS2. If they wanted it to have a hub and an atmosphere similar to DeS, they would have done it. Evidently, they wanted the series to go in a slightly different direction. It happens with sequels.

jwhit28

What's in it for From software? Multiplatform development published by Namco Bandai seems like a much more fruitful deal. Also does Atlus still have US publishing rights?

Valkyria

Banned
DS is basically DeS2. If they wanted it to have a hub and an atmosphere similar to DeS, they would have done it. Evidently, they wanted the series to go in a slightly different direction. It happens with sequels.

So your point is... I don't want to pay for a Sony console so there should not be a Demon's Soul 2?

Jawmuncher

Sony people who want their exclusive Sony franchises and being surrounded just by Sony things and their Sony-oriented friends.

This has to be sarcasm it has to be.
More game likes demons/dark even if not by from soft is a good thing. Since its not a type of common game anyway.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Or it could be, and I know I'm talking crazy talk here, that perhaps the people that enjoyed Demon's Souls enjoyed it not just for the game play, but for the interesting universe and setting, and the lore that surrounds that awesome game play, and they want more of it. I know! Crazy, right?

Not everything is console wars bullshit.

I love both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but I personally find the Demon's Souls universe more interesting. Considering how there aren't that many type of games in the genre, having two franchises bringing this type of game out on a consistent basis is fantastic to me.

Nothing is stopping Namco/From from producing more Dark Souls (duh, since Dark Souls 2 is coming out), and nothing is stopping Sony/From from producing Demon's Souls 2. I think From is two teams now, so it's more than possible. Sony and From seem to have good relations, as does Sony and Namco.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are both lucrative franchises. I can see Sony launching the series again on the PS4 as a tentpole for early PS4 life.

Soriku

Actually I got it form yours too. You know, sometimes the meaning lies under the words, call me a wizard or something ¬_¬ .

Umm...I could literally care less if Demon's Souls 2 was made or not. But it's really obvious why some people want it made.

It becomes even funnier when I want the PS4 as my first next gen console. Your wizard magic seems off.

CronoShot

It needs to be more like Dark Souls. And made by Platinum.

Marty-McFly.gif

sublimit

Banned
I notice that some 360/PC only people have entered this thread lol.

I actually think that a Demon's Souls 2 for Vita could be the only possibility for a sequel that has FS collaborating with SCEJ on it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Personally, the reason I'd want Sony on Demon's Souls 2 is because it would mean one less first party studio working on another third/first person shooter.

TizioVerde

Neo Member
Sony WAS involved in the developement of Demon's Souls.
Actually i'm pretty sure that it's awesome grotesque atmosphere (which far surpass the one of the sequel) is the result of the collaboration with SCE Japan Studio.

That's why i'd love to see the series becoming a Sony exclusive again.

Drek

I see a lot of people hoping for Sony to make a Demon's Souls 2, especially with the upcoming PS4 (or even the Vita). But how realistic is that really? Sony owns the IP but wasn't involved in development, and dropped the ball on publishing outside of Japan.

SCEJ did actually have a decent bit of staff helping with the game. Miyazaki and other FROM employees did the majority of the gameplay and art design, which is a huge part of what makes Demon's Souls the game it is, but SCEJ was legitimately involved in it's creation, especially Takeshi Kajii.

They'd have to pay From Software some money to stop making Dark Souls games and just make games on one platform.

Why? FROM was contracted by Namco Bandai to make Dark Souls, just like Demon's Souls for Sony. FROM doesn't own the IP and they have no real interest in the IP's future if they aren't directly involved with it.

I'd argue that FROM's future Souls efforts are likely more tied to who between Sony and Namco Bandai are more willing to write the biggest up front guarantee, with target platform or platforms being completely irrelevant.

They could turn it into a portable series, would be able to do its own thing and not clash with the console/PC Dark Souls.
Clashing is only relevant with regards to how Namco Bandai feels, but yes, it would be the least contentious path.

Does From want to make an exclusive game after their multiplatform success? Would Namco let them go develop for Sony when the series is doing well for them? Does Sony actually give a shit?

Answer these questions and you'll find your answer.
1. FROM didn't have "multipatform success". They contracted a title to Namco Bandai and delivered it, what Namco Bandai did with it beyond there has limited effect on FROM. 2. Namco doesn't own FROM and traditionally FROM has had far better relations with Sony than any other publisher they've worked with. 3. Sony has said they would be open to finding a way to bring the IP back.

So answered and the final conclusion is...Sure we'll see Demon's Souls 2, if Sony decides to pay FROM for it.

Mileena

Banned
There is zero chance.

Demon's Souls is way better than Dark Souls,Dark was a huge let down,unbalanced soulless mess and has too many flaws.
You can take 99 of every healing item in Demons Souls, what an unbalanced mess!

Ridiculous hyperbole from Souls hipsters once again.

No, came on. I'm talking about making a true Demon's Souls, with all its points, but made by a top notch team from Sony WW studios.

I've said Santa Monica because I'm starting to get tired about the GOW series and they could fit in that type of game, but I don't care if it's done by Sony's Japan Studio

Are you *seriously* comparing Sony Santa Monica to From? I mean, I know people love to overvalue Sony games and think GoW (and UC (although ND actually are great)) are actually comparable to developers with real history and talent, but this is just way too much. WTF.

Dragon

Banned
No; they never sold those IPs to Activision since Sony never owned them to begin with. Vivendi-Universal always owned them, as they were created on the Universal Studios backlot. Sony acted as the publisher and took care of the marketing, but that was it.

Thanks for the info.

Are you *seriously* comparing Sony Santa Monica to From? I mean, I know people love to overvalue Sony games, but this is too much.

Are we talking talent-wise, commercially...what? Because From certainly hasn't shown this gen, at least, I played through one of the King's Field games but didn't really like it, that it can write an efficient engine. Chug-city choo choo.

You have Demon's Souls 2 released and Demon's Souls 3 to be released this year yet you ask for some imaginary Demon's Souls 2 "exclusive" to Sony consoles.

Okay.

I hope they make one, Vita only (no PS3 version), just for you OP.

web01

Sony would never make it on their own, and Dark Souls is worth more money to From at the moment.
No other developer could even build a sequel from the ground up, the gameplay systems would be very hard to authentically emulate.

Only chance of Demon Souls 2 would be Sony paying From Software a huge amount of money to make it lucrative enough for them to do a exclusive PS4 version.

And lets be real I do not see that happening and From wouldn't want to hurt their relationship with Bandai Namco. Lets not forget Sony screwed them over by refusing to publish Demons Souls in the west.

Soriku

1. FROM didn't have "multipatform success". They contracted a title to Namco Bandai and delivered it, what Namco Bandai did with it beyond there has limited effect on FROM. 2. Namco doesn't own FROM and traditionally FROM has had far better relations with Sony than any other publisher they've worked with. 3. Sony has said they would be open to finding a way to bring the IP back.

So answered and the final conclusion is...Sure we'll see Demon's Souls 2, if Sony decides to pay FROM for it.

1. Dark Souls sold much better than Demon's. Not much else to say.

2. Maybe, but they're doing good with Namco and Namco would likely influence them to stay.

3. Talk is cheap.

If they were going to make a Demon's Souls 2, they would have done it after the huge success of Dark Souls.

It would be a pretty slimy thing to do.

Clevinger

This is actually the one thing that give me hope. Even if hes not working on Demon's Souls 2, I still want to know what he's up to.

Armored Core 15. Actually, I dunno, but he has directed Armored Core before. It'd be weird if they were working on two Souls games at the same time.

Apath

Wouldn't Namco be able to pay them more money because they can expect higher revenues? I just don't see how Sony could compete when Namco knows they have both a huge hit on their hands and a much larger market they can go after.

Either way, From Software should really focus on making the Otogi spiritual successor.

So your point is... I don't want to pay for a Sony console so there should not be a Demon's Soul 2?
This is by far my favorite post in the thread.

genjiZERO

Dark Souls is Demon's Souls 2. But it might be a good idea for From to work with Sony to make a legitimate "Demon's Souls 2" during the downtime from Dark Souls 2. But for consumers, really, how would it be any different? Too many games and their likely to start getting stale. I love the Souls series like the rest of you, but too many games might be a bad thing.

Now, Demon's Souls PSV or Demon's Souls episodic material for PS4 PSN might be a good idea (especially the later. Get a new level each month, and you can access them all in a Nexus like area? Might be a good idea).

Are we talking talent-wise, commercially...what? Because From certainly hasn't shown this gen, at least, I played through one of the King's Field games but didn't really like it, that it can write an efficient engine. Chug-city choo choo.

Talent wise, obviously. They're not even comparable. I don't really care about "efficient engines". I like their games, from MWC through the Otogis and AC to Kuri Kuri Mix. Just comparing these games with the studio who only ever made the generic, shallow, spectacle-oriented, milked-to-death, AAAAAAAAAAAAAA bullshit GoW series is a big wtf. I would accept if From games were platform exclusive but the talent in the Souls stuff is clearly theirs.

Apath

Dark Souls is Demon's Souls 2. But it might be a good idea for From to work with Sony to make a legitimate "Demon's Souls 2" during the downtime from Dark Souls 2. But for consumers, really, how would it be any different? Too many games and their likely to start getting stale. I love the Souls series like the rest of you, but too many games might be a bad thing.

Now, Demon's Souls PSV or Demon's Souls episodic material for PS4 PSN might be a good idea (especially the later. Get a new level each month, and you can access them all in a Nexus like area? Might be a good idea).
I don't see why Sony needs From Software to make a Demon's Souls 2. Granted it won't be "authentic" or what have you, but it doesn't mean it can't be a good game. And it's not like they'd be missing out on the Dark Souls series either.

At the very least there is clearly a market for the DS style gameplay, so all Sony has to do is make a game of the same style.

gioGAF

Hard to believe how stupid Sony was with the Demon's Souls IP. They chose to publish garbage like White Knight Chronicles instead. Then SCAMCO stepped in and the rest is history.

Those of us who wish for a sequel can always dream that Miyazaki is currently hard at work on it ;-)

Btw, a portable version would be the worst thing that could happen. A port to PSV is one thing, but to have the series move to a portable format would be horrible, I would rather not have a sequel.

Top Bottom