• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theres no place like hubs

SOR5

Post those nice areas of games that link the entire experience together where you can usually run around and do whatever you want with minimal danger

Heres probably the most famous example:
04-imagenes-super-mario-64.jpg

But heres my personal choices

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Read the title as "There's no place like hubris"

has a poetic ring to it

TDLink

Isle Delfino is the best one. Too bad I found the actual worlds of that game mostly disappointing outside the amusement park

zoodoo

Recently Destiny's Tower..

Those random moments where a bunch of strangers are dancing together and playing with a ball.

Hogwarts in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets & Order of the Phoenix / Half-Blood Prince. Chamber of Secrets had that lovely Jeremy Soule music and had a nice blend of book Hogwarts and movie Hogwarts.

OotP and HBP were perfect recreations of movie Hogwarts which felt pretty, ah, magical. Being able to seamlessly walk from Gryffindor Tower all the way to Hagrids Hut was really quite amazing.

I'm quite fond of the Citadel from Mass Effect 1 but that's also nostalgia at play. Had great themes.
The Normandy, if it qualifies. Bonus points to ME1 Normandy for all dat blue.
PYtFbah.jpg
Don't forget that music as well. The sequels felt oddly silent without it.

Hogwarts in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets & Order of the Phoenix / Half-Blood Prince. Chamber of Secrets had that lovely Jeremy Soule music and had a nice blend of book Hogwarts and movie Hogwarts.

OotP and HBP were perfect recreations of movie Hogwarts which felt pretty, ah, magical. Being able to seamlessly walk from Gryffindor Tower all the way to Hagrids Hut was really quite amazing.

This. The early PC games (Stone, Chamber, Azkaban) had a magical sense of discovery and a collectathon vibe akin to Rare games as you explored the castle for wizard cards. The later games as you mention were at last a realisation of a more realistic approach akin to Bully.

Loved all the Potter games. Sadly my dream game of Harry Potter Persona will never happen.

3D Mario really needs to bring hubs back.

Peach's Castle and Delfino Plaza were great, but the Comet Observatory was disappointing, Starship Mario was tiny as hell, and 3D Land had a generic menu and 3D World had a slightly glorified map screen. Bring back Mario hubs!

The thing that jumps to mind most is Majora's Mask's Clock Town
It's not just an interesting place filled with things happening, it also happens to be the core focus of the game itself. That gives it a big leg up against anything else I could think to mention.

Now.. what are the games in the OP? Mario 64 - Peach's Castle and KotOR 1 - the Millenium Falcon Ebon Hawk are the first two, but what's the third? Looks like an N64 game from the UI, but that can't be right...

RoyalFool

Banned
Diddy Kong Racing had a nice hub area, I remember the music transitioned one instrument at a time as you went between the different zones, was the first time I had any sort of programmatic midi music in a game.

PSO's Pioneer 2 is another favorite, but mostly due to rose tinted glasses. It's always much smaller than I remembered.

bengraven

If you consider towns in recent Elder Scrolls or the Bethesda Fallout games as "hubs" (since you buy/steal a house and keep returning to it over and over again to sleep/level up/drop off loot/etc).

Seyda Neen (Morrowind): most people will never come back, but for those of us who love to hang out as long as possible (or come back later to break into the armory if you don't know the tutorial trick). The lighthouse, Arille's bar and shop, the smuggler's cave nearby, the soft calls of the silt strider: it's a great introduction to this world.

Skingrad (Oblivion): lots of dark corners make this a great thief city. The blend of Italian with gothic make it a beautiful place to run around in. And the house is the best house, arguably, in the vanilla game. Shops are just a few yards down the street.

Imperial City (Oblivion): not just because it's huge and has some fantastic quests, but the atmosphere is fantastic.

Vivec (morrowind): speaking of huge and atmospheric capital cities, Vivec city alone makes me wish we could get a remake with modern graphics.

Rivet City (Fallout 3): there's a reason many of the most popular housing mods add apartments to this area. Not only because it's the center of everything with lots of shops and some quests, but it's a fucking aircraft carrier.

? (Fallout 4): I've only played a bit but I already love that I get to create my own hub city. I can't fucking wait to finally jump into next gen and waste a day or two playing this. Once I get a PS4 I'm taking a week's vacation.

ALSO:

LA (Vampire Bloodlines): the music the music the music, the atmosphere, the characters, goddammit please god give me a sequel

Under City (WOW): my favorite area in the game. Spent hours HOURS just talking to friends and running around the circular city when we weren't questing or when preparing for a raid/dungeon (or when drama was so fun to read). The music is so chilling, yet head bobbing, so good. I would play a Forsaken videogame in a heartbeat.

Random Shelter (Project Zomboid) - I love the idea that your safe zone can become dangerous over time. Eventually your character can become bored, or zombies will hear you walking around and start attacking your barricades/windows or you'll start to run out of food and need to leave or someone will break in or...

McReady Farm (State of Decay) - speaking of which. There are a lot of great little houses in this game (or a church or a trucking company or a fairground) but this is the most atmospheric. With the little bear statue (get it? Bear...McReady...McReady from Thing...Bear McREARY from Walking Dead fame?) and the shady trees, it's also benefited by being in the center of the entire map. It's just a drive through the fields to get the city in the north or Marshall in the south or at least to hit the highway to reach anywhere else. Just make sure and turn the barn into an Outpost if you want to cut down on the constant Hordes heading up the road toward you (or coming from the fields near the orchard). I know it's a waste of an outpost, but motherfuck you don't want zombies spawning five feet from your fences.

110995.jpg

Nothing comes close to Inaba from Persona 4 for me. I felt home while playing, literally no other game has given me the same feeling.

Spacejaws

I thought MB kinda sucked as far as hubs go. Felt like a lot of wasted potential.

I think I like it more for it's purtiness rather than any actually use. Originally spent alot of time trying to find secrets but in the end I found it quite solemn and peaceful. Especially when trying to make your way over to a different platform and getting to try out the cassete player that i never liked playing on missions and the rain comes on. Purty, just like I said.

bengraven

One of my favorite games is Mount and Blade and I really hope they improve their cities in Bannerlord. Each is very similar to each other and there are limited interactions you can do, but in a game like that a proper hub would be perfect.

110995.jpg

Nothing comes close to Inaba from Persona 4 for me. I felt home while playing, literally no other game has given me the same feeling.

I have had P4 on my bucket list for a long time but I still haven't finished P3.

Would it be bad to just jump in without finishing PES?

Top Bottom