• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

These adorable English springer spaniels will become NSW Police sniffer dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

808960-springers.jpg

WHEN dad is an expert at sniffing out explosives and mum is a cadaver detection dog, their litter of pups can be only one thing - the A-team.

Barely two weeks old, these four brothers and three sisters are unaware of the big job ahead of them. Destined to follow in their parents' paw prints, one of them could also have a nose for cold hard cash.

Dog squad commander Superintendent Mick Goodwin said the plan was to train one of them to sniff out large sums of money - the first NSW Police dog to do so.

While the police have been swelling their four-legged ranks by breeding their own German shepherds since 2006, and last year bred their first litter of labradors, this is the first litter of English springer spaniels born in the dog unit's breeding program, earning them the official title of the "A litter".

Supt Goodwin said the highly adaptable spaniels were capable of working in various types of detection, including firearms and drugs.

He said that, like thoroughbred horses, the talents of their parents - cadaver detection dog Bronte and explosives detection dog Micky - were likely to be passed to the pups.

But, after 12 months growing up in the homes of handlers or registered police dog-raisers, not all of them would make it into the line of duty.

"You can usually tell around the 12-month mark if a dog has the potential to make it on to the streets. They can't be timid, they are not pets," Supt Goodwin said.

Readers of The Daily Telegraph have been invited to help name the new recruits through the NSW Police Puppy Poll, which begins on Monday online at the NSW Police Dog Unit Facebook site.

All names must begin with A and be no more than two syllables. No two dogs in the dog unit can have the same name. The poll ends on Monday August 6.

Story Here

I just couldn't resist posting this with that pic.

Bagerk

Last night a NSW police officer pulled up to me on the side of the road and demanded to know where I was going as there was "a police sniffer dog on the loose". He then told me to stay where I was and failed miserably at a 3 point turn and drove away on the wrong side of the road. I thought to myself "losing a sniffer dog seems rather irresponsible" and then continued on my way with my newly purchased narcotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom