• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

These Coloradans say Earth is flat. And gravity’s a hoax. Now, they’re being persecut

It takes almost a year to make a baby, and the world is only 6000 years old. If you do the math, it's impossible for there to be millions of people

6000 years is 300 generations of twenty years each. 8 billion people is 2^33.

With geometric growth it's trivial for there to be 8 billion people in 6000 years.

jstripes

Banned
6000 years is 300 generations of twenty years each. 8 billion people is 2^33.

With geometric growth it's trivial for there to be 8 billion people in 6000 years.

Assuming there's enough food, everyone's healthy, good life expectancy, there's no war, etc...

Assuming there's enough food, everyone's healthy, good life expectancy, there's no war, etc...

Well if you have people having four kids and doubling the population every twenty years you get somewhere around 10^90 humans over 6000 years. So there's a lot of leeway there for the numbers so long as everyone's having sex.

I'm not saying young earthers are right, they're most certainly wrong, I'm just saying "the math doesn't work" is a shitty hill to die on defending science.

Wray

A rule called ETOPS limits how far away from a runway a 2-engine passenger plane is allowed to fly, to account for emergency diversions. It used to only be 60 minutes, which is why all intercontinental trips were done in 3 or 4 engine planes. These days, it's up to 180 minutes (with extensions by special arrangement) which allows planes to fly pretty mucheverywhere.

RKthCqK.png

Except for Antarctica. It's just so remote.

Also, get a globe out (or Google Earth) and look at the South Pole. Now try and find two destinations a reasonable distance apart whose Great Circle flight would actually cross the pole. There aren't really any. The few that just about count are nowhere near big enough to warrant a 747 or A380 (the only 4-engine planes still in widespread use)

Finally, it's just a horrible place to make an emergency landing. High altitude = high landing speed and then everyone would freeze to death.

Thx for the explainations everybody. Makes sense.

Although u do have to wonder why flying over the pacific or South Indian Ocean would be any safer. If you crash in a remote area of the pacific you are pretty much fucked just much as if u crashed into Antarctica.

Stanng243

Thx for the explainations everybody. Makes sense.

Although u do have to wonder why flying over the pacific or South Indian Ocean would be any safer. If you crash in a remote area of the pacific you are pretty much fucked just much as if u crashed into Antarctica.

You may be fucked flying over the pacific, but if you crash their, most planes have lifeboats, or at least floating cushions. Plus, you won't freeze to death. Well, as quickly.

Ugh, these wackos meet at my comic book shop. It's really disappointing they let them do this when there are poor children being indoctrinated into such horse shit.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ugh, these wackos meet at my comic book shop. It's really disappointing they let them do this when there are poor children being indoctrinated into such horse shit.

They must be furious that Marvel and DC only portray Earth as a sphere

chadtwo

How exactly does the public reaction to these flat-earthers constitute persecution to the extent that it was included in the headline? All the article mentions is casual mockery. Seems rather sensational to me.

Glix

I understand most of these people are 1000000 miles past logic, but, like specifically the lady who said "I'm sitting at my computer and I can't prove the earth is a sphere" or whatever.

I mean... Just build your own fucking box camera, and send it up in a weather balloon. Then develop the pics and see the curve of the earth.

I mean, what can you possibly say? The fucking development fluid was made by globalists?

People can take photos of the curvature of the Earth on a budget of about £200 using a mobile phone and a weather balloon.

Seriously, you can do this yourself without relying on the vast global conspiracy that hides all the evidence.

However, I must say I'm very impressed with the global (ha ha, what a pun!) conspiracy to hide the flat earth evidence has managed to persist for over 2000 years without any whistleblowers.

And you'd think Jesus might've pointed it out to the round-earth orthodoxy in the first century AD, unless Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were also in on the conspiracy.

A couple pages back I mentioned that a friend of mine started the biggest flat earth group on Facebook.

The Sun UK just did an article about him;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3984980/flat-earthers-rapper-b-o-b-tila-tequila-world-sphere-nasa/

“I thought this was the craziest idea I had ever heard and at first I was extremely sceptical. For the first month all I wanted was for the Earth to be a globe.
“I thought I was going to debunk it but after a month of not sleeping and really digging through the information, I was a Flat Earther.

This sounds familiar...

“I started the same way as everyone else, saying, ‘Oh, I’ll just prove the earth is round.’ Nine months later, I was staring at my computer thinking, ‘I can’t prove the globe anymore.’ ”

Oh yeah. So, I don't believe either of these. Is there a word for this? It's not concern trolling is it?

HStallion

This sounds familiar...

Oh yeah. So, I don't believe either of these. Is there a word for this? It's not concern trolling is it?

People figured this shit out thousands of years before you did buddy. I'm sure you can do it if you really try.

blugbox

Neo Member
Completely disregarding all the impossible physics and every other rational-thought-defying tactics needed to support a flat earth, I really love the global conspiracy angle the most.

Like, even when they used that as an excuse for "CGI" space pictures from NASA as a form of government control... how do they explain all these private space companies? How can not ONE of these private companies be set against the government conspiracy and want to expose it??

Not one leak or single picture from space as evidence... not one.

But every single SpaceX and Blue Origin launch is all CGI still...

jstripes

Banned
Completely disregarding all the impossible physics and every other rational-thought-defying tactics needed to support a flat earth, I really love the global conspiracy angle the most.

Would would the point of the conspiracy even be? Who benefits from it (I know the answer) and in what way?

Haemi

Society is really developing backwards.

But i have another theory:

-God can't create a 3 dimensional round planet

-valve can't count to 3

=> valve = god ?

HStallion

Like, even when they used that as an excuse for "CGI" space pictures from NASA as a form of government control... how do they explain all these private space companies? How can not ONE of these private companies be set against the government conspiracy and want to expose it??

Its the greatest conspiracy the world has ever known and you can Google it in 30 seconds

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So, with this flat earth conspiracy, what's on the other side/underneath of Earth? The boogieman?

Hell.

Heaven is above us once you get past the fake stars God put there to test us.

Reality is just a cylinder.

VanWinkle

But, see, they've figured it all out with one simple excuse: if it goes against what they believe, it's part of a government conspiracy. Third party space programs? They only want you to think it's third party so that their desire to make you think the Earth is a globe is more realistic.

And therein lies the problem: you can't argue with these people. You just have to ignore them and hope that eventually they will come to their senses.

Fisty

Just another bunch of delusional egoists who can't accept a universe that doesn't give a shit about their pathetic insignificance

I mean, it's no different than the whole fake news conspiracy. They have these child like imaginations that government is godly in its power to create such vast illusions and methods of mass mind control and get away with them. Everyone outside the illuminati puppeteers, (because of course SOMEBODY must be directing everything) is either blind to reality or "woke" and see through the mass facade. The only trustworthy sources of information then are other woke individuals, thus any evidence from anyone else, conveniently being anyone who disagrees with them or contradicts them, is immediately presumed fake, either intentionally or ignorantly depending on how high up the ladder they deem the source. New corps and colleges? They are spreading the fake information intentionally, to mind control. Their neighbor or Facebook friend? Just ignorant fools who believe the lies the former spout.

They probably never took to heart the saying that if you think everyone but you is crazy, it might actually just be you. Of course, that there are ever even dozens of them is probably enough for the circle jerk to keep them all gooey for a long time. And what else does a man need but to feel good? It's very satisfying believing you're smarter than everyone else, that you have cut the cords from he puppeteer and live free, woke, and rebellious to totalitarian order. I remember feeling like that sort of. When I was a teenager.

Top Bottom