• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

These People are SICK! Why are Fanboys so Extreme Over Plastic?

xStoyax

Banned
So I just came across a fairly popular Youtuber named Dealer Gaming who was pushing the whole Spider-man was downgraded narrative. It is what it is, and he admits he's an Xbox guy. He's now doubling down on his claims even after Digital Foundry said the game had been clearly upgraded & said themselves there was no technical downgrade.

Okay, so what it's just some moron with a megaphone

Then I found THIS Video. People were sharing this clip where he was at the time claiming that 720P was virtually the same as 1080P. He was downplaying resolution at the time even tho now he can't stop talking about 4K resolution because you know, goal posts.

I don't even think that's the story though. He goes on to use homophobic slurs & label Playstation fans as retards & crack babies and ironically bashes them for owning a console with 'no games'.

I can understand preferring one console or platform over another. But what causes someone to be so insecure that they have to attack others who like something else better? Listening to him talk you can hear his hatred for the fans & people who prefer another console. It's actually kinda creepy. These are the people you read about on the news. If it were just some one off mentally ill person you could perhaps write it off, but I see this tribal mentality everywhere.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He sounds like an offshoot of Crap Gamer. What is even more sad, MS execs interact and invited Crap Gamer and that toxic ilk plenty of times to their events.

FranXico

That guy sounds like a very rare, extreme case. Most of the times, tribalism surrounding consoles is just on par with political partisanship.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Games are pleasure. People are super passionate about the things that give them pleasure.

Go ask a pothead whether glass or metal is superior. Go ask a tea fanatic why they insist on yixing clay pots. Go ask a arcade-stick nut whether they like Sanwa or Seimitsu.

TheUsual

Gold Member
People get territorial with their brand loyalties and take it too far sometimes.
Haven't watched any of this guy's stuff, but it sounds like it may also be a tactic to get views. Be controversial (and possibly serious on the claims) and get noticed. Keep it going to stay relevant.

He doesn’t believe any of the shit he is spouting. It is antagonistic because it gets the clicks. The internet LOVES drama.

Alec

I understand why you want to talk about this but he is obviously garbage and you shouldn't even be giving him the attention from here.

Thiagosc777

Then I found THIS Video. People were sharing this clip where he was at the time claiming that 720P was virtually the same as 1080P. He was downplaying resolution at the time even tho now he can't stop talking about 4K resolution because you know, goal posts.

I think you are mischaracterizing things. Resolution is just about making fun of people. Especially because in the beginning of the generation Sony was saying "1080p makes you a better gamer". Taking shots at them now and watching the fanboys react is just for fun.

Also, the difference between 4k and 1080p is much bigger than 720p and 1080p. The two aren't comparable.

DonF

Gold medalist of mental gymnastics.
This guy doesn't like gaming. The true gaming master race embraces every platform

TBiddy

People get riled up about the weirdest stuff. You should check the next-gen racing face-off thread, when you have the time. You'll see some of the same behavior there.

Sounds to me like a salty fanboy who's just mad that people on the "other side" get a shiny new game that he can't play on his box of choice.

thelastword

Banned
There are three of them who do a podcast together. Dealer is one, they're all Xbox fans. Listen and be amazed. These guys could not tell a difference between 720p and 1080p for 4 years, but now dynamic rez titles on Xbonex, not even 4k are all the rage and 4k vs cb 4k is a world away.... Yet, the majority of the fans who visit these guys are still on Xbox One/S....

nowhat

Also, the difference between 4k and 1080p is much bigger than 720p and 1080p. The two aren't comparable.
In terms of raw pixels, sure.

In terms of perceptible difference, less so in my opinion. At least in my current setup (55" UHD TV about 2m from the couch), the difference between 720p and 1080p is very much noticeable. But the difference between say 1440p and 1800p - it can be much harder to detect, especially if you don't pause the game and move closer to the screen.

(as to the main topic, eh, just ignore it - there are nutters in Youtube, that is a fact of life, best not to give them any more exposure)

Thiagosc777

In terms of raw pixels, sure.

In terms of perceptible difference, less so in my opinion. At least in my current setup (55" UHD TV about 2m from the couch), the difference between 720p and 1080p is very much noticeable. But the difference between say 1440p and 1800p - it can be much harder to detect, especially if you don't pause the game and move closer to the screen.

I can see it all, but it's a trade off because if I wanted great graphics I'd play on the PC. The most noticeable thing in a native 4k presentation for me are the fonts. They are super sharp.

I think it is good to point out the hypocrisy in companies marketing and fans. Sony was pushing "resolution" hard in the beginning of the generation and its "4k console" can barely reach half of it. And its fans were sharing spreadsheets comparing resolutions of different games. Now we can have a good laugh.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The thing is, to children, dropping a few hundred bones on one machine is a big deal. They would hate to have found out they backed the losing or gimp horse. So, some fanboys get REALLY upset when their precious plastic box might not be the best at something.

This goes for all consoles BTW, though it is of my personal opinion that Sony fans are by far the worst. Not a fact, just from what I see.

Anyway, when you grow up a bit, a few hundred quid on a console is pennies compared to buying a house, a car, raising a family etc... so you just stop caring. Me myself, I own ALL consoles, and will likely continue to own ALL consoles as well as a top gaming pc. Why? Because I want to play games, and sometimes, I can’t play games on X, but I can play them on Y.

If your fave console being number 2 is such a big deal for you, then l bugger me, I would hate to see how you deal with real issues...

nowhat

I can see it all, but it's a trade off because if I wanted great graphics I'd play on the PC. The most noticeable thing in a native 4k presentation for me are the fonts. They are super sharp.

I think it is good to point out the hypocrisy in companies marketing and fans. Sony was pushing "resolution" hard in the beginning of the generation and its "4k console" can barely reach half of it. And its fans were sharing spreadsheets comparing resolutions of different games. Now we can have a good laugh.
For one, very often the UI will run at 2160p even if the game runs at a lower resolution. But agreed, with fonts and like the difference can be significant.

For another, if we're talking about hypocrisy in marketing - Pro was from the very beginning marketed as "dynamic 4K", the reveal presentation talked about checkerboarding extensively. While the term may seem a bit disingenuous (and sure enough, it is up to a point), native 4K wasn't really advertised at all. And some games do run at native 4K (indies/remasters mostly, but technically it is possible). Compare this to One X, where the tagline was/is "True 4K". When in reality, while some games do run at native 2160p, it's still more an exception than the norm. So which one is hypocritical marketing?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can't see the video but for kicks
Here is Michael

Who would have thought Spider Man would drive them crazy.

Oh his new video lol

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

For another, if we're talking about hypocrisy in marketing - Pro was from the very beginning marketed as "dynamic 4K", the reveal presentation talked about checkerboarding extensively. While the term may seem a bit disingenuous (and sure enough, it is up to a point), native 4K wasn't really advertised at all. And some games do run at native 4K (indies/remasters mostly, but technically it is possible). Compare this to One X, where the tagline was/is "True 4K". When in reality, while some games do run at native 2160p, it's still more an exception than the norm. So which one is hypocritical marketing?

You can't be serious.

The PS4 Pro isn't even doing 4kcb right now. Only some 1st party titles like God of War or Detroit are getting it. Even the Shadow of the Colossus remake isn't 4k. Really!? Spider-man is just another example of a game that falls short of what was promised. The PS4 Pro was pure false advertisement.

The X, on the other hand, delivered. Many AAA games are running in native 4k (not just 1st party). Right now I am playing through the Destiny 2 expansion, and it looks awesome in native 4k.

thelastword

Banned
Oh his new video lol
By the gods, you sure he doesn't post here?

Sifting through some of the arguments and irate posts these last few weeks, hmmm!...... In spiderman threads et al. Funny enough, one of the things he said in that last video is a common theme from a poster in this very thread.... Ummmm! "If this was a Microsoft game, it would be raked through the coals"...." Sony games get a free pass etc" type spiel....

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Run of the mill fanboy from the sound of it. Look how football fans treat each other.

I hope people aren't clicking through and actually watching all these vids...

zeorhymer

He doesn’t believe any of the shit he is spouting. It is antagonistic because it gets the clicks. The internet LOVES drama.
One and done. People like him feed off shit like this. To top it off, he laughs all the way to the bank due to views and whatnot.

xStoyax

Banned
I'm sure you can write many off as being opportunists trying to make a buck , but when these people sit all day online & social media shilling their fav corp all day I think there probably is an underlying psychological issue happening

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
tbh i watched a couple of videos about this game it does look generic as hell, the fighting the open world the cooky cutter quests.
yawn.

will prolly try it when its 20 max.
it looked like batman assass creed and lord of the rings auto lock stuff very boring

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Yeah those garbage boys are everywhere.

I’m an Xbox guy but even I won’t interact with the Xbox twitter community which is filled with those types. Just ignore them so they don’t feel validated.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah those garbage boys are everywhere.

I’m an Xbox guy but even I won’t interact with the Xbox twitter community which is filled with those types. Just ignore them so they don’t feel validated.

What, you didn't use the Scorpio zodiac emoji in your name and go around like a little Twitter gang shitting up other games and consoles all day? "pie_tears_joy:

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
What, you didn't use the Scorpio zodiac emoji in your name and go around like a little Twitter gang shitting up other games and consoles all day? "pie_tears_joy:

Or keep posting:

B E A S T
E
A
S
T

like some idiot does here all the time?

Kacho

Gold Member

From what I’ve seen there’s a militant Xbox crew and a militant PlayStation crew and they’re locked into a never ending battle on Twitter.

Sometimes one of the brave souls will burn out and proclaim they are done with it all, only to fall back into the game when something they can boast about happens.

Broships form and crumble. Some try to play both sides. Others betray their honor completely and switch sides leaving behind a trail of tears and butthurt.

And what makes it so funny is that they’re all dead series about it.

oagboghi2

Can't see the video but for kicks
Here is Michael

Who would have thought Spider Man would drive them crazy.

Oh his new video lol
All in a row, that is hillarious

Edit: Oh wow, watching that last video is just.....sad. That is just sad. I would be embarrassed to upload something like that.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
fb8

Akuza89

I'm more of an Xbox guy than PlayStation guy these days... well right now more of a switch guy but that's beyond the point.

Spiderman looks great in my eyes, plays great too. Providing there's no glitches or anything that actually hinders gameplay, you know the main focus for any game, then the graphics shouldn't really matter...

SegaShack

I own all 3 systems and am not a fanboy. Do people not understand efficiency in programming? It’s not like they lowered graphics, they have to account for everything else in the game.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Fanboys will be fanboys, but I personally can't stand them. My entire ignore list on here is exclusively filled with them from all sides. While they're busy justifying their purchases and downplaying anything positive about the other platforms, I'm busy being happy not having to pick a side and playing everything.

Last edited:

Fbh

Just ignore him.

Dude probably saw a niche he could aim at to get views and did what 99% of other youtubers do and just took his normal opinions of someone who prefers Xbox and went full hyperbole with them.

And bam, 15K views on average in all of his videos.

There's been an irrational hate some people have for Sony for over a decade now, ever since the disastrous build up and launch of the PS3.

But that was a long time ago and Sony has been much better in recent years, but some people have still held on to the bitterness, they see the name "Sony" and have a knee jerk desire to hate on them.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Everyone who feels the need to insult someone over the fact that the other prefers a different type of media device (PS or XBox, Mac or PC, iPhone or Android,...) is just mentally unstable and should seek help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom