• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

They Cloned Tyrone, a Blaxploitation Sci-Fi flick starring John Boyega & Jamie Foxx

YCoCg

This movie dropped on Netflix the same day as Oppenheimer and Barbie came out in cinema so it was overlooked (good timing Netflix!) but having just recently watched this I came away actually surprised at how good it is, the trailers and such make it seem like a comedy and yeah it is funny (especially Jamie Foxx's character) but the movie quickly takes a turn into The Twilight Zone style with a banging soundtrack. There's also another good actor in this but revealing them would be a spoiler and it is worth watching for that reveal. Here's the teaser for it, there is a trailer but as most trailers these days do it spoils quite a lot of the movie so avoid that if you intend on watching this.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Will give it a shot.

Hey boss if this crosses a line please feel free to removed this post.

I saw this very early this morning. (I'm subscribed) I didn't knew the existence of the movie btw. Going to watch it through the same lens as Mind Unveiled and or just blank out and watch it on a surface level.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I loved it; great acting, really like how it was filmed.

The story is really "on the nose" when it comes to race issues but I don't have a problem with it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Might have to check it out. It was front and center on Netflix but without context it didn't draw me in.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Just watched it. I liked it! It was different... Very Twilight Zone inspired... I expected Black Dynamite to show up at one point but it's mostly played "funny-straight". Boyega stayed serious and Foxx was HILARIOUS... Parris was like a mix of them both but more on the Foxx side. Damn that woman is FINE! That smile made me MELT!

NahaNago

I'm with the thought it was terrible group. Considering that the main characters of the show was a drug dealer, pimp, and prostitute they should have went over the top funny with the acting.

edit: why does it seem like my go to for movies is that they didn't go far enough in a certain direction these days?

GeekyDad

This movie dropped on Netflix the same day as Oppenheimer and Barbie came out in cinema so it was overlooked (good timing Netflix!) ...
If it is, as you say, "Blaxploitation," then, I'm guessing that wasn't by accident, irregardless of its perceived quality.

JCK75

I really enjoyed it..
I "Like" Jordan Peele but he's incredibly hit or miss, Loved Get Out and Us, Nope was OK.. His Twilight zone was hot garbage.
This felt like what people tell you a Jordan Peele movie is.

bitbydeath

Eh, didn’t like it, was very boring.
Did I miss if they ever went back to the guys who killed him at the start? How was that not a bigger thing? Should be freaking them out, showing how he is alive but they just seem to move on from it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Eh, didn’t like it, was very boring.
Did I miss if they ever went back to the guys who killed him at the start? How was that not a bigger thing? Should be freaking them out, showing how he is alive but they just seem to move on from it.

Yes, they came back. They thought he just got treatment. Like 50 Cent was shot 9 times and still lived.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I loved it. I adore the retro aesthetic depiste it being present day (I think?). And man the cigarette burns haha. Boyega was good but Jamie Foxx and Teyonah Parris stole the show for me. And man, did I even wonder when the Tyrone was going to show up. Hilarious, fun and some actual good twists like
the real Fontaine being the mastermind of the cloning plot. That took me out haha.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just watched it. I liked it! It was different... Very Twilight Zone inspired... I expected Black Dynamite to show up at one point but it's mostly played "funny-straight". Boyega stayed serious and Foxx was HILARIOUS... Parris was like a mix of them both but more on the Foxx side. Damn that woman is FINE! That smile made me MELT!
Shes incredibly hot!

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
This, like 99% of Netflix produced movies was devoid of any real substance, the kind of movie where you watch it just to kill some time only to completely forget of Its existence upon finishing it.
Shame, since the cinematography and acting from the main cast was actually ok/nice, it's just that the stark contrast between Boyega's character (super-serious) and the uber-goofy ones of Fox and Co. didn't exactly mesh well, the movie didn't know what to be exactly...

Fuck Netflix, the only good content they produced were Mind hunter, Power of the dog and the King (the devil all the time was also OK), everything else is just time-consuming shite

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Couldn't finish it in one go. Jamie Foxx and the female lead were both good but the script and everything else were weak. Nothing propelling you through the narrative. Visit location, people are being drugged, visit next location, people are being drugged, visit next location, people are being drugged. Yes, we get it. And it really doesn't lean into the craziness of the premise nearly enough once you get to the reveals. Not sure why John Boyega's character is even the lead on this one since since character is the least interesting of the bunch.

Top Bottom