• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

They don't make Video Game Music like they used to...

aoi tsuki

It was a lot easier to pick out the melody in older video game music, and it's likely that those tunes were more melody-dependant than today's games.

Kuramu

i used to play certain games just because i wanted to hear specific songs or soundtracks. Megaman 2, Blaster Master, Guardian Legend, Zanac all come to mind. I haven't done this in years, that might say something

J-Rzez

Now someone needs to make a sound clip of the guy on the piano with the guy playing the guitar theme version of it at the same time, it'd be a crystal ball what to expect from the future of Wii... :lol j/k... I know it'd be better...

but yeah... Castlevania is good source of tunes... "Bloody Tears" from Castlevania II - Simon's Quest will always stand out to me... awesome... Super C's intro first level was epic... hehe...

then you move onto the 16-bit era and you get stuff like UN Squadron, which was awesome, and Street Fighter's... Guile's theme and Ryu's rock...

Now when you think about it... even up to current day, those same companies still bring out the best music... Konami and Capcom... the music from MGS like "Duel", and that final boss theme in MGS3, clearly epic... and stand out as some of the most Epic tunes ever in a videogame... then you have that haunting piano diddy in the RE series... and the music from especially Devil May Cry 3... Incredible...

so yeah... Konami and Capcom rock...

jko

Kuramu said:
i used to play certain games just because i wanted to hear specific songs or soundtracks. Megaman 2, Blaster Master, Guardian Legend, Zanac all come to mind. I haven't done this in years, that might say something

QFFT!
Those are the exact games I would do that for too! :D
Theres a few more...can't think of them off top of my head, im at work :lol

jko

J-Rzez said:
Now someone needs to make a sound clip of the guy on the piano with the guy playing the guitar theme version of it at the same time, it'd be a crystal ball what to expect from the future of Wii... :lol j/k... I know it'd be better...

but yeah... Castlevania is good source of tunes... "Bloody Tears" from Castlevania II - Simon's Quest will always stand out to me... awesome... Super C's intro first level was epic... hehe...

then you move onto the 16-bit era and you get stuff like UN Squadron, which was awesome, and Street Fighter's... Guile's theme and Ryu's rock...

Now when you think about it... even up to current day, those same companies still bring out the best music... Konami and Capcom... the music from MGS like "Duel", and that final boss theme in MGS3, clearly epic... and stand out as some of the most Epic tunes ever in a videogame... then you have that haunting piano diddy in the RE series... and the music from especially Devil May Cry 3... Incredible...

so yeah... Konami and Capcom rock...

you mean this:
http://www.ocremix.org/songs/UN_Squadron_Forest_Fire_OC_ReMix.mp3

LOVE it! :)

Ranger X

Today's game music rely alot more on ambiance than on melody and it's sad i think.
Music and ambiances are both needed. Also, an ambiance is easier to make than a good song with a strong melody so i guess everything is normal.

ghibli99

Kuramu said:
Yep. That just about sums it up for me, too.

I think songs like Petal Meadows in Paper Mario 2, though, mix that oldskool focus on catchy melody with a nice modern flair.

aku:jiki

jko said:
I don't think you can do that with any current gen game music... :D
This is a really poor joke, right?

I mean, I could probably recognize the Halo theme (to name one) even if it was played on a set of ****ing congas.

Drakken

aoi tsuki said:
It was a lot easier to pick out the melody in older video game music, and it's likely that those tunes were more melody-dependant than today's games.

Qft. Video game music today is certainly not worse than it was then. Just different thanks to composers having a lot more choices with what they want to do.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
aoi tsuki said:

Didn't have much of a choice with 4 channels of sound.

LOcKY

if anyone of you have played Unreal Tournament series then you can also agree with me its one of the best.

None of this commcercial crap, just pure musical talent. Hats off to them and im looking forward to listening to UT2K7 on my winamp :)

Fabiollo

These days I'm in love with Rob Hubbard's Monty on the Run. I think it would be awesome on piano too (I think Press Play On Tape did a cover of that song).

jko

Fabiollo said:
These days I'm in love with Rob Hubbard's Monty on the Run. I think it would be awesome on piano too (I think Press Play On Tape did a cover of that song).

i have alot of variations on that song :D
i assume you know the sites i'm referring to for the remixes :)

Fabiollo

jko said:
i have alot of variations on that song :D
i assume you know the sites i'm referring to for the remixes :)

Of course. :)
But if you can, try it on an old C64, with some nice speaker. The SID plus Subwoofer equals God. Me and a friend of mine spend whole nights listening to C64 stuff that way (and yes, my friend has two 64s, with different SIDs to fit to the songs).

jko

Fabiollo said:
Of course. :)
But if you can, try it on an old C64, with some nice speaker. The SID plus Subwoofer equals God. Me and a friend of mine spend whole nights listening to C64 stuff that way (and yes, my friend has two 64s, with different SIDs to fit to the songs).

wow...that sounds awesome! :)
unfortunately, i don't have a C64...so i just listen to them from those sites :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jjasper said:
I really liked DoS soundtrack, especially the remixes
You need to get ahold of some of the other CV soundtracks then, as DoS (along with the GBA games) stands as one of the blandest works in the CV series. It is a nice improvement over the 2nd and 3rd GBA titles, though.

Top Bottom