• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Anung

Un Rama
Can't speak to its completeness as I'm still far from finishing the game, but this video claims to cover all the secret areas.

Someone PM'd me a link to this. Which is weird as I have this channel already subscribed and it never showed up on my feed. Reckon I'll blast through this one last time on easy then punt it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Is this game better than Dishonored?

Thief = pure stealth

Dishonored = Corvo Simulator

I think both are very different, but the former is meant to be played as a pure stealth game, while the latter is about playing however the fuck you want to

Elios83

Posting my impressions here as well ;)

I've just finished it and my overall opinion is pretty positive.
Both the main missions and the sidequests are great, really good stealth action, they really nailed the smooth movements of a thief, great environments and level design, tons of hidden conduits, different paths, traps, hidden machanisms and safe locks to open. The game takes off and truly shines starting from chapter 3 in my opinion.
Unfortunately there are some flaws and they're mostly concentrated in the main city which acts as a hub. Loading times (which are not present during the missions) are really annoying and they detract from the experience when you try to explore the city, the map is confusing and you have to remember by yourself where the specific places to jump from one area to the other are located. Also the dialogues between the guards in the city are really repetitive and poorly written.
The story in my opinion was nice, it's ''essential'' but it is interesting enough to keep the player motivated and willing to know more. The ending is vague and you'll probably have to watch it a few times before you get it, so at first it seems anticlimatic but it has a sense
Garrett uses the Cornelius ring on the finger of Orion to open the book and complete the ritual to free Erin from the Primal energy, at the same time he throws her the claw unlike what he did in the opening, trusting her this time...hints like the claw stucked in the wood are a sign that she's safe
Graphics are great on PS4, really impressive amosphere notwithstanding the old UE3.0.
Overall it's a really good game, a solid 8/10 in my opinion, fans of stealth games should really consider it.

Just finished it. I thought it was overall enjoyable, not a great game but not a terrible one either. I definitely got my money worth as doing no knockouts and really liking to explore as much of a level as I can it really took a long time (40+ hours) to make it through all the missions and side missions. Some missions I thought were really good like Chapter 6.

Just a word of warning to anyone going for the no kills or knockouts achievement, it seems even if you redo a chapter you got a knockout in and the player records show 0 knockouts for that chapter, it doens't seem to update your overall count. I knocked out a dude in an early chapter before I decided I was going for that then later on went back and redid that chapter with no knockouts and the chapter record updated but I still didn't get the award. Doesn't really bother me but I thought that stuff would update as you redid the missions.

justjim89

So, in chapter 5 one of the unique loot items you can find is a mechanical eye. Along with a few other references to the original trilogy, is the implication here that the original Garrett died in prison? I would really love to find some other connections to the old games, not sure if there's more to be found.

Just got through chapter five, found it really enjoyable and sufficiently creepy. now i'm going through and doing all the side missions before chapter 6. 25 hours in so far. This game really undersold itself with the default difficulty settings and all the focus nonsense. So often playing this game, you can see signs of it having the potential to be so much more, if only it weren't for all the executive meddling.

I had to take a break midway through chapter five. Holy smokes am I creeped out. They really nailed the atmosphere in the main story levels. Side quests, not so much... pretty much just cut and paste.

I have zero interest in doing the side quests. Is there unique powers/upgrades you get from them?

Bank heist was superb fun - I wish the first few levels were more like it. Gathering clues gradually like some kind of morally bankrupt detective was awesome.

I had to take a break midway through chapter five. Holy smokes am I creeped out. They really nailed the atmosphere in the main story levels. Side quests, not so much... pretty much just cut and paste.

I have zero interest in doing the side quests. Is there unique powers/upgrades you get from them?

Bank heist was superb fun - I wish the first few levels were more like it. Gathering clues gradually like some kind of morally bankrupt detective was awesome.

So odd to hear complaints about the side quests; I'm as far as you, and I've found the client jobs to be the highlight of the game. The writing for the vignettes is excellent, the smaller levels offer better pacing without compromising on linearity, and they lack the arbitrary points of no return of the main quests. They make the city feel like a living space worth exploring rather than mandatory platforming between Chapters. Don't get me wrong, Chapter 5 is done very well, but it's a level out of an entirely different kind of game. What's the point of hunting for loot if there's scarcely anyone to hide from while doing it? The main quests overall suffer in part from conceits of spectacle at the cost of true Thiefy gameplay, which the side quests are thankfully free of.

There aren't any special rewards for the side quests besides additional loot/collectibles, and I have to wonder why you're playing a Thief game if collecting them for their own sake doesn't appeal to you.

Moff

bank heist is a sidequest, and the sidequests are actually the best part of the game. the main missions are very mediocre, only one of them, mission 6, is really good.

Will M

I'm a huge original Thief fan and I'm loving this game. It's really rough around the edges with weird audio issues and some of the open city stuff having scripting problems.

I'm playing with no HUD except for the light gem and the hidden items are pretty challenging. It's pretty satisfying to discern clues from a note and study the layout of a room and then find that tiny hidden switch that gives way to a hidden passage. I enjoyed Dishonored but it always felt like an homage to the Thief series, not a true successor. With Thief, staying in the shadows and avoiding conflict is part of the game and fits the story. In Dishonored, sneaking everywhere felt a little out of character for a guy who was once a bodyguard and now magical assassin.

In closing, there are dancing guards.
privatedancer_by_willmmm-d7acxt6.gif

Really glad I got this bundled with a graphics card promotion, since I would have been really bummed out if I paid full price. I've put in about 10 hours so far, and at this point, I'm just aiming to beat the game to be done with it. Of all the things this game does wrong, the biggest pet peeve so far has to be the window transitions; mashing X every single time and trying to keep track of area transitions vs isolated area instances is just terrible design. I can't even remember the last game that made navigating the game world such a frustrating chore.

Starting mission 6 tomorrow, but at least according to some posts, I'll have a genuinely good mission to look forward to when I next boot it up.

bank heist is a sidequest, and the sidequests are actually the best part of the game. the main missions are very mediocre, only one of them, mission 6, is really good.

So odd to hear complaints about the side quests; I'm as far as you, and I've found the client jobs to be the highlight of the game. The writing for the vignettes is excellent, the smaller levels offer better pacing without compromising on linearity, and they lack the arbitrary points of no return of the main quests. They make the city feel like a living space worth exploring rather than mandatory platforming between Chapters. Don't get me wrong, Chapter 5 is done very well, but it's a level out of an entirely different kind of game. What's the point of hunting for loot if there's scarcely anyone to hide from while doing it? The main quests overall suffer in part from conceits of spectacle at the cost of true Thiefy gameplay, which the side quests are thankfully free of.

There aren't any special rewards for the side quests besides additional loot/collectibles, and I have to wonder why you're playing a Thief game if collecting them for their own sake doesn't appeal to you.

I guess I need to slow down. I have been playing HUDless and non-lethal as a sort of roleplay. Looks like I will be giving the sidequests another go.

So GameFly f'n shipped this instead of Infamous... it was out of my que no idea how this happend... looks like i'll be giving it a go then...

Any updates from people still playing through this? From all that i've read i gather it's an enjoyable experience if you play purely stealth. Good for me as that's what i love to do.

Any tips etc. that i should know as far as settings, gameplay go before i start this weekend?

TIA

So GameFly f'n shipped this instead of Infamous... it was out of my que no idea how this happend... looks like i'll be giving it a go then...

Any updates from people still playing through this? From all that i've read i gather it's an enjoyable experience if you play purely stealth. Good for me as that's what i love to do.

Any tips etc. that i should know as far as settings, gameplay go before i start this weekend?

TIA

Play on Master difficulty and consider removing the objectives indicators.

Playing on X1, enabled voice controls and forgot about it.

Was skulking behind a guard to grab his coin when I yelled to answer my mother in the other room, only for the guard to go "Wha?!" and begin to turn around! Luckily I swooped away in time to avoid detection but that is a pretty fun feature for distraction!

Playing on X1, enabled voice controls and forgot about it.
Hah, I wonder whether anything like that is in the PS4 version.

Been playing this since I picked it up on sale a few days ago - and while I still stand by every word in calling the game technically poor on every level, I'm still enjoying it every night as a first person stealth game. Setting a custom master difficulty and removing all the UI flashy bits manages to help provide a foreboding sense of mood. And setting it for no-kills and no-detection means if I get spotted it immediately starts loading my last save - which is exactly how I want to play this.

So, technical issues aside, I'm still having a good time and hope it stays that way. The game rewards patience and risk-taking, so its managed to keep its hooks in me, at least up to the somewhere in the middle of chapter 2 for me so far.

Quick question though: The side missions. Should I do them all as soon as I can? Or wait until the main plotline is over first? Or just do them as I need funds? Any tips?

I've been sticking to story missions only because I figure those will have any in-game tutorials for new gear, or will provide that new gear - like a wrench. I could use a wrench ;P

If anyone is playing with No Alarms and No Knockouts and is trying to 100% the collectibles, you're making a huge mistake. In Chapter 7,
The boss has one of the collectibles on him, but will never fail to spot you when you try to pickpocket him. The only way I was able to collect it was by spending approximately 100 reloads trying to flash bomb him both immediately before and after the pickpocket.

So what is the consensus?
As an old school Thief fan, what setup am I looking to go with?

The stealth is actually really solid, even if the game has multiple glaring flaws. I would in fact recommend the No Alarms and No Knockouts custom difficulties, it creates satisfying tension in exploring the levels. However, as I said above, *do not* bother trying to collect everything. The fact that every chapter is segmented (points of no return) means that if you realize at the end of the level you missed a piece of loot, you will likely not be able to go back for it.

Of all the things this game does wrong, the biggest pet peeve so far has to be the window transitions; mashing X every single time and trying to keep track of area transitions vs isolated area instances is just terrible design. I can't even remember the last game that made navigating the game world such a frustrating chore.

This and the tight space transition where you have to mash a button to move a piece of wood is my biggest problem with the game. I can look past all the minor bugs, but it this makes no sense to me.

Other than the above complaint, I'm really enjoying it so far. This is a game that could have been great had it not been for some questionable design decisions.

Acorn

Finished this a while back. The hub map is the most unintuitive piece of crap I've ever played in recent memory.

More than one I've spent ages trying to get to x objective and be within 10 metres of it only to discover I have to backtrack, hit a rope arrow through some random hole and open the magical loading portal window or it's ugly step sister oddly arranged boxes with a pole.

Soured my experience greatly. Navigating is such a pain in the arse.

Having never played a Thief game before, I came into this as a fan of stealth gameplay and thus far I have greatly enjoyed my experience.

My only frustration is mainly due to the City being segmented and needing to load between quarters rather than being one open, explorable City hub. I can forgive that aspect, though, as the game was created for last gen consoles rather than current ones.

The game is very similar to Dishonored, but I also know that is because former creators of Thief worked on Dishonored.

All in all, I would give this game a B+, but as I mentioned, this is my first Thief game.

JayEH

This game is a piece of crap... What a waste of 30 bucks. The audio problems are bad, frame rate on Xbox One (supposedly the best console version) is horrible, loading everywhere.

I was dealing with all these problems until I was about to enter Chapter 3, I get to the loading screen, then I'm transported back to Chapter 2? And the kicker is it auto-saves when it does this.

I gave Eidos Montreal a chance given what they did with Deus Ex but I'm done.

/rant

So I got this game via the sale. Had rented it. Started a new game. I'm on chapter 3 now, enter into the start chapter 3 area, and the game loads me into the start of finding the mill. Wtf? Now I've lost all my progress and have to do it over.

JayEH

So I got this game via the sale. Had rented it. Started a new game. I'm on chapter 3 now, enter into the start chapter 3 area, and the game loads me into the start of finding the mill. Wtf? Now I've lost all my progress and have to do it over.

Same thing happened with me. I don't like the game enough to continue my progress unfortunately.

areal

This game is a piece of crap...
I'm coming to the same conclusion. I've nearly finished the game on master difficulty with no alerts, no damage, etc. The atmosphere is okay (in this respect, it reminds me of Fallout 3) but the gameplay is so shallow. The levels are linear, there isn't much of a need to get creative, and it's simply not worth experimenting when the loading times are so bad. Bad frame rate, audio glitches, lame story, annoying "open-world" hub, etc. Oh, and those
smoke and fire
sections are appalling.

Paid full price. Sigh.

justjim89

So... Gopher, probably my favorite LPer and a pretty great mod maker, was trying to LP this game as he loved the old ones. And he was completely broken by how bad the AI is in intense situations, even on Master difficulty, and has decided to quit his LP before even completing the Foundry level. Can't say I blame him, though I am enjoying this game. It's quite clearly a mess. What struck me is that Gopher is generally not one of the screamy shouty Let's Players, but in his video explaining his frustrations with Thief he's almost driven to one. It's rather amusing for a regular viewer of his stuff.

I'll probably finish my playthrough, as I'm up to Chapter 6 and nearly done with all side missions. About 33 hours in at this point.

SJRB

Gold Member
I still haven't finished this game myself. I'm not sure I ever will either. The fact that I'm at chapter 5 doesn't help either, fuck that level.

Ubiquitar

Neo Member
And now my autosave just wound back an entire chapter. On PS4.

It did that to me on PS4. I was on chapter 6. I died once in the courtyard after I got caught. It then started me at the beginning. I was like--what the fuck? Then I played about another 15 minutes, flew past everything I did before and got caught again. It tried to put me at the beginning again but this time I did a manual Load, found my manual save file and everything was fine.
That night I played an hour and a half, got well through the level, and I saved it. The next day it started me at the beginning. So I then went to look for my manual save. It was gone. I put the game down for a week. Came back to the same level, got to the same place I l reached before, save and quit. The next day no manual save file.
I haven't played it since. I fucking hate that! I did let SE know.

Kyzon

I'm stuck at level 4.

I've done it sooooooooooooooooo many times. I know this place back and forth now. I can easily kill everything, finish undetected, grab everything, enter through multiple routes, whatever. No matter what I do the game loops me back to the beginning of the level as soon as I complete it. This is ruining an otherwise entertaining game for me.

I thought this was a bad april fools joke, but it seem like Square doesn't even know what's going on.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ve-data-corruption-square-enix-responds-.aspx

ced

My PS4 version loaded me back at the beginning of chapter 4 last night too after dying at the end, I was able to load a manual save though.

I'm up to chapter 5 and have not done any side quests, mainly because I can't stand navigating the hub. Reading here seems like I'm missing the better part of the game by not doing side quests so I will try those tonight.

I'm really disappointed with this game, while I'm just speculating it seems that it has been ruined by execs or producers. The core game shines through once in awhile, but it's just too ruined by the typical "reboot" stuff.

The visuals and atmosphere are pretty impressive, I've loved some of the puzzles, and the controls and body awareness are about perfect.

Now the awful parts:

I played without focus, way points etc, so I'm not even going to go there...

Cutscenes, they are so bad and so out of place for this series.

No jumping, or only being able to vault on pre-determined spots sucks ass. The run button is actually pretty slick but it's just ruined by only working on the jizz covered spots someone set up, or an out of place grate etc. There have been so many times I've wanted to hop over a hand rail or a box and it won't let you, it's an awful feeling.

The levels are too linear, and there are too many action set pieces.

I just can't rationalize what happened to this game besides some suits or producers wanted to make it just like half of the other shitty cinematic, follow the line or waypoint AAA game.

What a fucking shame.

SJRB

Gold Member
Did the game get patched recently or something that messed up save states? Why are so many people having problems progressing past chapter 4 all of a sudden?

ced

Did the game get patched recently or something that messed up save states? Why are so many people having problems progressing past chapter 4 all of a sudden?

I thought for a minute that it was only happening on April 1st and someone coded it in. It happened to me repeatedly last night and never before.

Voshond

Neo Member
Progress problems for me too, playing on PC. I'm on the side-quest where you have to
steal the mechanical hand from the tailor
and the level just restarts every time I finish it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
just picked it up on sale for ps4 at bb. i've enjoyed it so far. no side missions yet...just completed the first two chapters. although i think i can see what people are talking about with the hub navigation being frustrating.

graphics are pretty underwhelming and frame rate could be better but i do like the gloom-y atmosphere.

i think my biggest annoyance about the game so far is the control scheme and how they decided to map the buttons. having crouch on L3 and having LT the run/action button is weird and i'm sometimes still pressing the wrong buttons. not sure why they didnt just go with your traditional fps control mapping.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Any recommended side missions? I've only done the first few but they were all pretty lame so far. I know some of you posted that some of the side missions are better than the story missions. What are the must plays?

I spent the better part of an hour tonight trying to figure out how to get to the brothel, only to finally give up and look up a walk through. I can't believe it was just a crank behind a post I couldn't see. I was trying to rope jump from windows, convinced there had to be a tunnel or something I missing.

I spent the better part of an hour tonight trying to figure out how to get to the brothel, only to finally give up and look up a walk through. I can't believe it was just a crank behind a post I couldn't see. I was trying to rope jump from windows, convinced there had to be a tunnel or something I missing.

I had the exact same experience.

Top Bottom