• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

think Brutal Legend, but replace metal with hip hop/rap.

Zephyrus

Banned
Rather have brutal legend 2 to be honest.

And actually make it a hack and slash.

Honestly if I had money I'd buy the IP from Tim Schafer or Ea or whoever has it and have platinum develop the gameplay parts with Schafer doing the story.

Slayven

I always wanted a novel where a kid falls through a portal and into a world where words are magic. And through tight flow and Drake level lyrics he masters magic and saves the day.

Acorn

Yes. Please. Starring No Limit Soldiers. The game is calling No Limit. I want this.
nolimit14_0.jpg

nolimitgreatesthits.jpg

FPS starring Mystikal? Count me in.
mystikal-unpredictable-1295640120-1.jpg

EDIT: One of the missions is to ride a tank into a basketball court while Make Em Say UGH is playing and shooting demons
tumblr_mdz20kRcWk1rwu9euo1_500.gif

tumblr_mr3e4urKIi1reey4zo4_400.gif
No pub would touch mystikal after the sodomy jail term.

Infinite

Wu-Tang kung-fu inspired adventure game

or

Afrofuturistic inspired adventure game ala Timberland, Missy, Aaliyah, Outkast, Common etc.

Plenty ideas and themes with just those two alone.

Follow the same archetype of Brutal Legend's world design and replace it with key components of hip hop/rap and the culture its spawned. Different, unique regions and multiple styles segregated into factions much like BL. Style and shape the story into something akin to say, Getting Up. Then have that creative liberty of adding a somewhat mystic flair to the music, like with what BL did.

And replace the combat of BL and make it an action platformer.

Would you play it?

i would eat it up. fucking loved brutal legend with only some familiarity with metal music/culture

to do it with hip hop would be incredible. i'd only hope the game director is as loving of the genre as schafer was.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Aesop rock is the wizard who has foretold the prophecy of the world but everyone just thinks that he is a crazy man spouting nonsense.

Your quest is to decipher his lyrics on rapgenius.

I've always thought there was a severe lack of hip-hop video games.

DJ Hero (gotta claim it, even though it seems more dance-focused than anything)
DJ Hero 2
Marc Ecko's Getting Up
Def Jam Vendetta
Def Jam Fight for New York
Def Jam Icon
Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style
Get On Da Mic (horrible)
Def Jam Rapstar (karaoke)

I was really looking forward to Scratch: The Ultimate DJ until Activision bought out its developers in order to prevent them from releasing what would have been DJ Hero's only competitor.

RP912

Banned

or

Afrofuturistic inspired adventure game ala Timberland, Missy, Aaliyah, Outkast, Common etc.

Wu-Tang_-_Shaolin_Style_Coverart.png

The closest we will ever get to that type of game if you include the 36 chamber story mode.

Zephyrus

Banned

or

the wu-tang one already exists. If the other one exists too I need to see it

Infinite

Wu-Tang_-_Shaolin_Style_Coverart.png

The closest we will ever get to that type of game if you include the 36 chamber story mode.

I know that game sucked though. Thinking a full on action adventure game ala Jade Empire but with a hip-hop and martial arts motif and enjoyable combat.

RP912

Banned
I've always thought there was a severe lack of hip-hop video games.

DJ Hero (gotta claim it, even though it seems more dance-focused than anything)
DJ Hero 2
Marc Ecko's Getting Up
Def Jam Vendetta
Def Jam Fight for New York
Def Jam Icon
Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style
Get On Da Mic (horrible)
Def Jam Rapstar (karaoke)

I was really looking forward to Scratch: The Ultimate DJ until Activision bought out its developers in order to prevent them from releasing what would have been DJ Hero's only competitor.

Sighs :(

Scratch: The Ultimate DJ getting canned almost made me take a break on gaming all together. When I read the features and how open the game was going to be as far as mixing goes...it was day one I had to get this game. Yet, Activision had to buy the rights :(.

Sighs :(

Scratch: The Ultimate DJ getting canned almost made me take a break on gaming all together. When I read the features and how open the game was going to be as far as mixing goes...it was day one I had to get this game. Yet, Activision had to buy the rights :(.

DJ Hero launched with an expensive, but cheap-feeling plastic toy. Scratch was gonna have a turntable + drum pad controller developed by a company that actually makes real turntables. It was gonna be legit hardware. The turntable was based on Numark's own CDJs, and the drum pads were gonna use actual MPC pads.

Man. I was so damn hype for that game.

Follow the same archetype of Brutal Legend's world design and replace it with key components of hip hop/rap and the culture its spawned. Different, unique regions and multiple styles segregated into factions much like BL. Style and shape the story into something akin to say, Getting Up. Then have that creative liberty of adding a somewhat mystic flair to the music, like with what BL did.

And replace the combat of BL and make it an action platformer.

Would you play it?

no but i'd play the same game but replace it with the holy trinity. Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple and Dido

It doesn't. The closet game we got to what would be looked at as Afrofuturistic is Jet Set Radio Future and it was severely missing the "afro" part.

Ah, I forgot about JSR/JSRF. I should add that to the list. Hell, it has more elements of hip-hop than almost all of the games I listed.

Gusto

These phrases might be a little too aged for y'all but, I'd love to hear the main character spit.

and if you need em i got crazy prophylactics

Sit down eat your slice of pizza and be quiet

Nigga please, you work for UPS

Kick this one here for me and my DJ

Buddy buddy buddy all in my face

It's not about a salary, it's all about reality

Kick a hole in the speaker pull the plug then I jet.

Kool Moe Dee would also have to be in this baby.

part of what I loved about Brutal Legend was the fantasy-equse hellscape that is mostly found on heavy metal album covers. There were times where I turned on the game and drove around just to look at some of the scenery and landscapes. I don't think rap/hip hop can capture that same atmosphere imo.

jwhit28

It feels like hip hop/chip tunes/electronic music are so entwined and rap and videogames sort of grew up together, but you rarely hear anything besides licensed tracks in games. I'm sure most people that grew up on the genre and played videogames feel the same way as the rappers/producers from the Diggin in the Carts videos. I don't even want lyrics, just beats.

You;re making my juices bubble with this idea. I certainly would love it, it's just if it was made nowadays I think the soundtrack would be wack and you'd get artists like Lil Wayne and 2Chainz in it.

I would very much love to see it happen and see how they integrate the different factions of hip-hop such as breakdancing, graffiti, and battling. Spoken word seems to be heavily integrated with the culture now so I'd like to see some artists represented on that front.

The environments would have amazing range, you'd go from the projects to a chinese-inspired area from the Wu-Tang Clan to a macabre type setting with artists such as Tech N9ne, Kung Fu Vampire, a prohibition or 50's type era where everything is in black and white where you meet artists like L'Orange, and Blu, and eventually to outerspace with artists like Outkast, Sa-Roc, Rapsody, MF Doom, and Stahhr.

I'd throw in some Reggae artists too.

part of what I loved about Brutal Legend was the fantasy-equse hellscape that is mostly found on heavy metal album covers. There were times where I turned on the game and drove around just to look at some of the scenery and landscapes. I don't think rap/hip hop can capture that same atmosphere imo.

Well yeah, it's not going to have heavy metal hellscapes because it's a different genre. Or do you just think rap/hip hop lacks creativity?

Infinite

You can totally do that with hip-hop/rap. Exploring the lyrics and music videos presents loads of visual themes. Those heavy metal album covers are inspired in part by the lyrics of the music.

Possibly not the same, but there are a lot of 'darker' / 'supernatural' themed and sounding rap that could easily be up to par.

That said, a psychological thriller with Tech N9ne? I'm with that too.

K.O.D..jpg

Huh... yeah, it would be different, wouldn't it?

---

Give me a game like a Wu-Tang music video and we're good. Have it be about stopping Kanye West from taking over the world, or something

These phrases might be a little too aged for y'all but, I'd love to hear the main character spit.

and if you need em i got crazy prophylactics

Sit down eat your slice of pizza and be quiet

Nigga please, you work for UPS

Kick this one here for me and my DJ

Buddy buddy buddy all in my face

It's not about a salary, it's all about reality

Kick a hole in the speaker pull the plug then I jet.

Kool Moe Dee would also have to be in this baby.

Yeah, those are some good lyrics there

Mr. X

The game would be like The Last Airbender and your character is trying to attain the 5 elements of hip hop.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
It would be really cool so long as they make the gameplay better. I liked the foundation of Brutal Legends gameplay, but it wasn't quite good.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't know if it would work. Brutal Legends art design was very akin to old rock albums with fantasy, monsters, and swords. I don't know how they'd do that with hip hop/rap? I'm sure it can be done, but I'd need to see it first.

ITT: People repeat same tired shit citing radio play as if that's all there is to Hip-hop, while at the same time busting their nuts to obscure indie shit no one has ever heard of and telling people to look past radio hits for the good stuff, as if that can't be applied to hip-hop.

It's 2014, make up some new trite shit ffs.

I dunno, Brutal Legend worked as well as it does because Metal loves norse mythology, assorted monsters, dark stuff, massive opportunities for world and enemy design specific to the genre. What's hip hop/rap got that's not...highly problematic in terms of world and enemy design? Because the obvious locations and enemies are...not...going to go over well unless very carefully handled.

Yeah, you could really see that Brutal Legend was inspired by a lot of mid 70s' to early 80s' heavy metal tropes and relatable fantasy art from artists like Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo. Basically the music, trends and visuals that Tim Schafer was into during his youth. It really inspired everything from the art direction to the character designs, voice actors (Jack Black) and even elements of the gameplay.

Didn't the Activision producers want Tim to do that when he was developing the game?

EDIT: Yup. They did.

A Country music themed Brutal Legend game? Man, I could only imagine how those meetings went with Tim.

But I could see a hip-hop themed game in this style working. I would imagine that it would look and play very different from Brutal Legend (depending on what era of hip-hop that inspired it). I'd imagine that OP is thinking about something that would be more detached from reality in comparison to something like GTA: San Andreas or some of the other games listed in this thread. Like a fantasy world that encompasses the ideas of hip-hop rap type thing. Executed right, it could be interesting.

I actually thought about this while I was playing through Brutal Legend. A hip hop version done right would have been cool. You could have worlds based on the various eras and elements of hip hop. A early 90s gangsta rap west coast inspired area. A Dirty South swamp where everything is made out of chrome.

I actually thought about this while I was playing through Brutal Legend. A hip hop version done right would have been cool. You could have worlds based on the various eras and elements of hip hop. A early 90s gangsta rap west coast inspired area. A Dirty South swamp where everything is made out of chrome.

Yeah, that shit would be dope my Ninja. Ludacris and Arrested Development chillin it out Which one hit wonders should be worthy of spotlight?

Heck yeah, I'd buy the hell out of it. Have someone like Dre or Eminem as the Ozzie of that world.

Sadly the only reason I didn't play Brutal Legend is because I'm not versed in metal/rock music at all.

Top Bottom