• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third-Person Cutscenes Removed from Cyberpunk 2077; All Cutscenes Will Be First-Person

Whitesnake

Banned
There has been a lot of controversy around Cyberpunk 2077 ever since the announcement, because of the first-person perspective. Many users demanded to have a separate TPP mode. It was earlier revealed that Cyberpunk 2077 will have a few instances of third-person perspective as well. However, that’s not the case anymore.

A thread on the CD Projekt Red forums reveals that CDPR has completely removed all TPP instances from the game. The game will solely be on FPP on release. This is something the community has not taken very positively. There have been numerous discussions on Cyberpunk Subreddit and Games Subreddit, criticizing the same. That’s owing to the fact that the game has a robust character builder. But, the presence of FPP throughout the game nullifies it’s existence, since the only time one can see the character is when he is in front of a mirror.

Apart from that, there will be certain moves or a few events where you will be able to see the character, but as far as cutscenes are concerned, the very few instances that were present have been purged. While the perspective absolutely doesn’t decide the quality of a game, it’s something which certain players are very skeptical about. That being said, some people prefer FPP solely due to the immersion it offers.

The forum thread in question:

Image of DMs confirming:
JVntzc0.jpg

———————————

Seems to me like a fairly drastic change to make this late in development. They either wasted all cinematography efforts by scrapping all third-person cutscenes, or those efforts never happened in the first place. Neither one imply good things about this game’s development.

This also means that you’ll only ever see your character while driving, in menus, or in mirrors. Seems pretty weird that they put so much effort into the character creator and the clothing options only to take away opportunities for the player to see the character.

Dthomp

Ugh, the desire to placate the SJWs who won't even spend two seconds playing their game is really ruining my interest at every turn. How do you change something like this with what I assume is a short time to redo all the cutscenes before launch? I was hoping to make a sweet hot chick to look at all game, nope can't have that some crazy might get offended.

Aranea

Weird decision indeed. I suppose the only way to see your character without looking on a mirror or the character creator, is for someone to take a screenshot on the multiplayer (whenever they release one).

Stimpak

Interesting. I don’t understand why they’d remove it if it was in the game to begin with.

I agree FPP is more immersive but I don’t see why there can’t be instances where you can drool over your character’s coolness in TPP.

What’s going on over at CDPR?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm good with this. The more FP camera angles the better. Hate third person gameplay and cut scenes.

But if I have to watch a cut scene (like an NPC ranting at me in Skyrim), I'd rather have the characters looking at the screen talking to me.

GrayChild

The last gameplay video did nothing for me.

I've always defended their decision to go exclusively FP in-game, but the cutscene thing is... disappointing to say the least.

While this won't stop me from playing the game, I'll probably skip the preorder.

Stuchinoko

Gotta be real here, what is the purpose of customizing your character when you will almost never see them? They spent all this time and effort creating, modelling, texturing God knows how many pieces of clothing from hats, helmets, jackets, shirts, gloves, pants, boots etc. and yet you're never going to appreciate those items outside of the inventory menu. It just seems so... pointless.

brap

Banned
I was gonna play this is first person but it's pretty stupid that you spend all that time making your character only to never see it again.

Hopefully not like HL2, I freaking hate it i.e. in game and without the ability to skip it.
Imagine playing a story driven game and skipping the cutscenes.

Portugeezer

Nothing quite like a first person game with a sucky framerate, which the console version will be.

Sucks that you can't see your character, I doubt the game will have working mirrors.

Stuchinoko

yes . good, fuck third person camera and those that act like every game should be in third person.
Not every game should have third person. But when the developer puts this much emphasis on character creation, it's pretty dumb to not have it. Imagine a racing game where you can customize your car, but then they take away the chase camera so you can never appreciate your work outside of the garage.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gotta be real here, what is the purpose of customizing your character when you will almost never see them? They spent all this time and effort creating, modelling, texturing God knows how many pieces of clothing from hats, helmets, jackets, shirts, gloves, pants, boots etc. and yet you're never going to appreciate those items outside of the inventory menu. It just seems so... pointless.
Probably because CDR realized it's too much of a pain n the ass to do both first and third person views so they stremalined everything to first person. The game has been in development for ages and need to ship it out.

As buggy as it is, at least Bethesda games let you do first and third person gameplay. And they even have sliders to adjust FOV.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Awesome, first person is awesome. Their next game should even remove cut scenes altogether and do it all Half-Life scripted event style where shit just happens and you still get to just play (mostly) freely.

I'm sure they can use the third person cut scenes and just change the camera placement to be the main character's pov for most of them with a few edits here and there. If the scenes are bad now they'd be bad before the change too.

Also you can't possibly know how long they've been working on this before finally announcing the complete shift to make any claims about how it will mean this or that bad thing about the game. They could have been toying with it since the start.

Edit: it even says there were very few instances of that right in those shitty reactionary wannabecontroversial article bits you posted, lol. Yeah, game's ruined because they're changing the camera angle in a handful of places.

People are reaching hard to make any game/feature/direction they don't like for silly reasons be about "SJW"s or whatever hot topic for lynch mobs instead and it's hilarious to see They got hate for making it FPV since the game's announcement and it's only been getting more ridiculous, ha.

Go back to elder scrolls and its crappy third person camera and gameplay just because it lets you see dodgy skin mods :p

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
So is this to avoid any future backlash in the game from SJW's?

We all know REEEE is ready to complain that the main character is gay, bi, trans enough and that 95% of the characters need to be part of the alphabet group for "diversity".

I guess if they never show the character, and maybe remove any voice options as well so we don't hear them then no one can complain that they aren't trans or gay enough.

Stuchinoko

Awesome, first person is awesome. Their next game should even remove cut scenes altogether and do it all Half-Life scripted event style where shit just happens and you still get to just play (mostly) freely.
Half-Life walky talky scenes suck ass though, because unlike actual cutscenes I can't skip those parts once I've already seen them. I've always gotta listen to the entire conversation and twiddle my thumbs.

The community. What community? The game isn't out yet.

Oh you mean idiotic fans? Got it.

Also, can we stop using the word community to refer to fans, it's weird if you think about it, isn't it?

Edit w/ tinfoil hat: this was totally done to avoid players taking the mick out of LGBTQ+ in game somehow. Fuuuuuuuuu...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I'm sure they can use the third person cut scenes and just change the camera placement to be the main character's pov for most of them with a few edits here and there. If the scenes are bad now they'd be bad before the change too.

Also you can't possibly know how long they've been working on this before finally announcing the complete shift to make any claims about how it will mean this or that bad thing about the game.
I'm totally for that. I skip almost all cutscenes anyway because they are a waste of time. Only time it really makes a difference is if there are important dialogue trees like in Mass Effect, so if you're going to skip them by mashing buttons, you got to do is cautiously or else you'll press the wrong response you really want.

Making cut scenes interactive sounds good. But all those fucks at game studios who want to make games into movie scenes with canned video and scripts will throw a hissy fit that the gameplay coders are getting all the action.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I was gonna play this is first person but it's pretty stupid that you spend all that time making your character only to never see it again.

Imagine playing a story driven game and skipping the cutscenes.
Not on the second play through. Literally, in HL2, they stick you in a freaking room with no way of getting gout, and it feels like it goes on and on... and on...

Of course, it sucked that they scenes kind of suck, and are way too long. As a player it feels like a trap from hell.

Last edited:
yes . good, fuck third person camera and those that act like every game should be in third person.

It isn’t like there is a shortage of first person games on the market though. In fact first person in general is the most overused and over saturated perspective and genre in the market by far. Look at horror games for a perfect example. If it didn’t have a creation mode, then I feel that most people would be making as much of a fuss out of it. We’ll see when it releases though.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Jeez. With every article, im getting less interested in Cyberpunk 2077. The game itself should have always been in a third person perspective. Fuck first person. Customize your character, why? You can't see your character. All cutscenes in first person, ugh. Come on. This shit is getting worse and worse. SMH.

kunonabi

So all the customization is even more pointless now.

This pretty much screams that the first person move is being done out of laziness and not that immersion nonsense they were peddling.

Alexios

Half-Life walky talky scenes suck ass though, because unlike actual cutscenes I can't skip those parts once I've already seen them. I've always gotta listen to the entire conversation and twiddle my thumbs.
Half-Life is a classic (read: old) FPS from 98 and the first (big game?) to use that form, I didn't say they shouldn't improve upon that style of story telling and instead use everything seen in that 1:1. Being able to initiate dialogue, have options in it, and/or skip it is a given for any RPG.

Last edited:
I'm calling it....third person mode for next gen consoles!!...basically the opposite of what happened with GTA except in reverse.

Last edited:

Alexios

This game is either going to be a AAA 90+ metacritic award winner, or a big overhyped flop. I don't see a middle ground here.
I can see a middle ground, it could be like Witcher 3, overhyped to hell and back, still solid. 7/10 for me just for the gameplay deficiencies most fans somehow seem obliged to ignore and/or promote as awesome. Hopefully Cyberpunk will be an 8/10 for me. Just better combat would settle that and being an FPS certainly should make it easier for them to make it good but on the other hand they've never made anything like that in the past so who knows, they could fuck it up like they did the melee in the last couple Witcher games for all I know. We'll see! For now I'm semi-optimistic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom