• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is insane. Ai enhancement powered by Intel - GTA 5 footage inside

Kikorin

This reminds me of these super low res and low bitrate realistic Dream demoes where that guy show environments like forests etc...

Sure looks impressive, but I'm sure in a real life scenario it'll looks a lot worst, or they would have uploaded super high quality videos. 😆

Very interesting tech btw.

Last edited:

Keihart

Welp, that's pretty nuts.
Ofcourse this shit it's not perfect yet or it would be in use already, but it looks pretty fucking amazing as a concept. At the pace we are going, i can't imagine something like this being used not so far off in the future.

CamHostage

a.i is such a new wonderful technology.....
jVlNdPl.jpg

(*i keed, I keed... AI is rad and changes everything, I'm confident it will be a bright future and not be the end of us all.)

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
so we already see a ton of fake videos alll over twitter and youtube, and *most* of us can pick them out and roll our eyes at them...

But my god, once this fully takes off, think how easy the average person is going to be manipulated by the meida/social networks/peers. I am both star struck and scared to death of what this will bring.

*Nightwing

Just goes to show photo realistic technology is here already, just need the artistry on how to use said technology to make it photorealistic to catch up. Pretty cool

Keihart

Looks like crap.
Besides, I hate that we call everything AI now.. none of this is AI. It's all just scripts, loops and ifs
If you watch the video it's obviously neural network stuff.
A bunch of loops and ifs that you don't know why but work better than what you can come up by hand.
qUmMEeo.png

"The network is trained via a novel adversarial objective, which provides strong supervision at multiple perceptual levels"

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I fully expected to enter this thread and go "pfffffftttttt whatever" but that legitimately looks awesome. If you showed this to someone from 2010 they'd think it was real footage of driving around. It's gonna be a resource HOG though, and it seems to create framerate issues as it does the various lookups and mapping for the textures. In another 10 years this could be integrated into all realistically stylized games though, very exciting stuff.

If you watch the video it's obviously neural network stuff.
A bunch of loops and ifs that you don't know why but work better than what you can come up by hand.
qUmMEeo.png

"The network is trained via a novel adversarial objective, which provides strong supervision at multiple perceptual levels"

They do know why, basically the more info fed in and the more iterations it runs the better it gets. It does it faster and far more often than you can by hand so its rate of progress is insane.

kiphalfton

Threads like these always remind me there are people in this world who you can never show "work in progress" or test samples to, as they'll just hate anything that isn't completely polished. No vision, no appreciation for the insane things going on.
You must or be resident evil 5 too.

It arguably looks worse, and blurry. But hey, let's go backwards and replicated GTA IV graphic fidelity.

Last edited:

Keihart

They do know why, basically the more info fed in and the more iterations it runs the better it gets. It does it faster and far more often than you can by hand so its rate of progress is insane.
ofcourse they know how to train it, what i mean it's that the optimized code that results it's the one without logic if you take it out of context. It's an actual problem when using neural networks for sensible problems since you can think you know your criteria it's the right one to train it but when you chain several ones it can get out of hand.

sendit

Looks like crap.
Besides, I hate that we call everything AI now.. none of this is AI. It's all just scripts, loops and ifs

How the fuck do you think AI works? Loops. If else statements. In fact, how the fuck do you think a brain works?

Last edited:

CamHostage

cool but ugly, if it means being restricted to the same darker green tinged colour palette on everything then it's not really practical
If you feed the AI a lot of "pretty" imagery instead of "natural", it'd learn to interpret that the color pallete it should use to enhances the image should be pretty instead of ugly.

They used German cityscape photos (shot with an "automotive-grade camera".) So. Train the AI on pictures of Brazil or Florence and likely you'd get a GTA that's less glum.

al3X9aV.jpg

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Just looks like they turned the color saturation down. Going back to washed out brown games from the PS360 era isn't interesting, new, or compelling.

lachesis

It does look like you are watching out a window or thru some sort of camera/tv filter. I found the animation of the car themselves was what was giving out it's from a video game. Quite interesting stuff.

I wonder what kind of input lag we'd be dealing with this type of enhancements. Afterall, I think that would make or break the usability.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Looks like crap.

Everything looks washed out, bluish-grey, and blurry.

Also pretty crap video, since it's only 720p.

You are missing the point. This is research and you're watching a successful science experiment, a concept which will eventually be taken over by developers and turned into something you don't need to mentally extrapolate to understand.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
An even bigger whoosh is being a little turd droplet who, instead of contributing to the conversation, just sits on the sidelines taking potshots at anyone who sticks their neck out.
Sticking your neck out assumes you said something bold. Something that challenges the norm and makes you think. No, you just said something fucking stupid.

Last edited:

Absolutely insane technology by Intel.
This is blowing my mind, I'm asking to the smart people here how this tech is not already used to enhance games. What a time to be alive.

Impressive tech, no doubt, but i'm asking myself why the fuck we still have a 2013 old game, honestly

Kill gta v and finally give us 6, ffs

wolywood

AI and ML really are the future of games. Cant wait for AI generated scripts, voice overs, models, sky boxes, all of it. Let the dev's free to CONCEPT and have the AI build out the visions.
I realize only a subset of gamers will care about this, but I'm really looking forward to what AI voiceover can do for commentary in sports games. No more stale recycled quips and outdated players trivia/stats.

Inviusx

It's pretty cool. Like you're playing GTA through a low res dash cam or something.

Not exactly sure this goes beyond the lab though.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom