• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is Phil Fish

iMax

A video that highlights 'tokenism' concludes with this?

2S8Lfoc.png
OK then.

I think Phil Fish's entire internet presence is an Andy Kaufman style shtick/joke and almost no one is actually perceiving this.

There's only so much effort even the best trolls would put into their creations, and Fish crossed that line ages ago. I think that he is genuinely an asshole.

Oppo

People read too much into Phil Fish's comments and feel personally offended when he says things, and his opinion matters because he speaks for all of us apparently. That's why we have to rag on him time and again, so he doesn't forget and has no way out but to be more of an asshole to us, thereby exposing exactly that side of him we want to see, and not Phil Fish the talented and creative designer.

Reading this was like watching a swordsmith drop a piece of raw silk onto a freshly forged katana.

Couldn't finish the video. Started off ok but the way the guy talks, his pronunciations just got on my nerves.

As soon as he said "let's do a thought experiment" I was done. All sounded very pretentious.

Iggins

Banned
Great video, I remember when he said that he wouldnt port Fez to 3DS because he wouldn't know how to use the second screen, the amount of hate was amazing, I defended the guy and a horde of people insulted me to death, I was so marveled by peoples irrationality that it literally changed my life.

What if you say it at GDC, when speaking to a Japanese developer, at a conference attended by your peers? You are trying to state it as a fact. His argument is that they are objectively inferior games. His argument is that the entire nation has been left behind because they are worse at game design.

How many people discussing personal opinions at GDC go home and have nightmares? The guy he humiliated did. It was not professional, and not an appropriate way to engage with one of your peers asking a polite question at a developer conference, right after he just complimented Fish's work.

He said "we are kicking your ass." So he drew the division along racial lines, and then said that collectively western design is objectively superior for reasons x and y, and then used sales as the proof. That is all fully implied. And it was delivered in such a blunt and rude way that the whole audience gasped, and the guy he humiliated literally had nightmares that night.

He didn't take it as "just his opinion," and more importantly, this was the prevailing opinion pushed in the media for 7 years at that point as a fact.

A teacher in the college once told me: "I'm responsible for what I say, not for what you understand", that applies perfectly here, you're putting so much in the guy's mouth even when he didn't say any of that, if you think that all that crap that you said is impliend on his comment, well, I have bad news for you, thats what you're saying not what he said, thats your opinion and what you understood, I have a different view, so what you're saying isn't a fact but your perspective.

Besides, you're asking for a circlejerk? Thats not how things SHOULD work, if you like me or my work I don't have to like you or your work too.

Well shouldn't he have been smart enough to know that once you are famous or well known; that you have to watch what you say to some degree?

But thats one of the points of the documentary, why people don't give a fuck about some random dude being an asshole and they do about some famous dude? Why people expect famous people to behave in certain way, when they dont on non famous people?

UrbanRats

Cool vid.
Even though i never followed the whole Phil Fish debacle (and i didn't get far in FEZ) the "suck my dick. choke on it" line was pretty good.

Renekton

But thats one of the points of the documentary, why people don't give a fuck about some random dude being an asshole and they do about some famous dude? Why people expect famous people to behave in certain way, when they dont on non famous people?
a) he is famous and thus should behave better than us

b) he is famous and thus should be responsible for maintaining his image

Either way, you can see they place an extra arbitrary onus based on fame alone.

UrbanRats

Honestly i DO think that fames comes with extra responsibilities, but it's undoubtly a can of worms.

jaxpunk

Knew of Phil and the hate towards him, never got into the details because it's the internet. Where hating on something for no reason is the norm.

Him telling people to choke on his dick is fantastic and more "internet famous" people should take that approach to social media. It's expected that all the death threats and hate should be tolerated, but the minute someone pushes back... Well they are an asshole. Double standards are fun right?

Atomski

Why though? is there really a reason for this? I mean in all reality he is just a normal (well talented) geek online who received a shit ton of attention.

Its kinda sad to think that if I somehow became famous I have to run out and hire a PR to filter everything I may say online to keep up some sort of image that is in all honesty fake as fuck.

Renekton

Honestly i DO think that fames comes with extra responsibilities, but it's undoubtly a can of worms.
It's a very complex argument...

Allen Iverson should not complain about practice because he is a role model to children
vs
A human should live his life the way he wants and not the way people expect of him, plus free speech

AppleMIX

First of all, this is a video that defends Phil Fish in every possible way and dismiss as irrelevant everything that Phil Fish did or said that could be considered wrong, so this video really starts from a biased position to treat its matter, and it is my opinion that this bias is clearly perceived form the words of the author.

The video doesn't even considers those stupid Phil's remarks about the fact that apparently "PC are for spreadsheets" and "FEZ is a console game" when asked about a PC release for Fez.
xpvNkcw.png

But then Fez gets a release date on steam, and instead of apologizing for his ignorant remarks, the best way Phil finds to treat the "boycott" movement is to offend:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/224760/discussions/0/828936719094418300

Good post. I feel that the author completely ignores a lot of what Phil did. Phil, a lot of times would actively try to piss off people. Anyone who is internet famous is going to tell someone to fuck off every once and a while but what Phil did was on a completely different level.

Zakalwe

Banned
Couldn't finish the video. Started off ok but the way the guy talks, his pronunciations just got on my nerves.

As soon as he said "let's do a thought experiment" I was done. All sounded very pretentious.

Using correct terminology and language to describe things isn't pretentious.

That word is thrown around far too often without having any relevance.

UrbanRats

It's a very complex argument...

Allen Iverson should not complain about practice because he is a role model to children
vs
A human should live his life the way he wants and not the way people expect of him, plus free speech

It is a complex argument to summarize in a few words, but the bottomline for me would be:

As your fame increases, so does you influence, and as you influence increases so does the weight of your words and actions, and you should always keep that in mind.

turnbuckle

Fantastic video. I'd post more and argue against some of the posts in here but then I'd find myself not really getting anything done at work today. So I'll leave it at that.

Iggins

Banned

Says who? Is there any law that says it? No, its pure social whim, you're basically asking for people with a different social status to behave in a way that you would and/or you cant.

Besides why cant famous people be honest and say what they want instead of what you want them to say?

This is in my opinion the main thing that is wrong with our society nowadays, people loves to use freedom of speech in a single way, I can express my opinion and you too but if its goes against mine you become in my enemy and any kind of rationality vanishes.

turnbuckle

Fantastic video. I'd post more and argue against some of the posts in here but then I'd find myself not really getting anything done at work today. So I'll leave it at that.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

There was nothing I'd call pretentious about this video. It was just a case study on internet fame using Phil Fish as the case.

It was an pretty interesting argument.

Fuchsdh

at 8:46 it says it never happened.

but even if it did, it isn't the point of the video, so I'm going to drop it. It is about why people hate and look for reasons to hate someone they do not know.

The video is schizophrenic about that point, because it clearly says "Phil Fish said 'they suck'", but then thirty seconds later argues that since he and Blow had a discussion about wester/eastern games, it wasn't just "Japanese games suck". The video creator says that "The moment Phil Fish wrote off Japanese video games entirely… never happened" but no one's arguing that—they're arguing that Fish blanket rejected an entire country's output (which he did) and then used a random audience member as proxy for that output (which he did.)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

There was nothing I'd call pretentious about this video. It was just a case study on internet fame using Phil Fish as the case.

It was an pretty interesting argument.

atr0cious

Is there anyway we can turn this into a Fight Club style naming to our most 'famous' celebrities, maybe even a Gaf filter? I know we give a lot of hits just by invoking their name. Something like:

Gafninja69 said:
I'm so tired of This is Phil Fish! All he ever does is make the dumbest charts and spout shit on twitter. This is Phil Fish and This is Phil Fish are just circle jerking on twitter about their incompetence now.

I think this would really curb our feeding of the hype machine.

BearPawB

Banned
I like Phil.
His appearance on Giant Bomb livestreams in the past made me not buy into this whole idea that he is only capable of assholeness.

Sure he can be a shortsighted guy who is too quick to anger and vulgarity....but I am not willing to condemn him forever for it.

Renekton

It is a complex argument to summarize in a few words, but the bottomline for me would be:

As your fame increases, so does you influence, and as you influence increases so does the weight of your words and actions, and you should always keep that in mind.
One point of contention is the bolded part.

Should my influence change how I behave? Should I even be cognizant of it? If the fame came from the people, should it be instead up to them to reduce their mindshare of me?

I like Phil.
His appearance on Giant Bomb livestreams in the past made me not buy into this whole idea that he is only capable of assholeness.

Sure he can be a shortsighted guy who is too quick to anger and vulgarity....but I am not willing to condemn him forever for it.

I definitely agree with this. As usual, the truth with Phil is somewhere in the middle. He's made mistakes and done stupid things but also has redeeming qualities (like everyone else ever). On the GB streams he seemed like a good natured person who would be easier to get along with in person than on the internet.

I like Phil.

I definitely agree with this. As usual, the truth with Phil is somewhere in the middle. He's made mistakes and done stupid things but also has redeeming qualities (like everyone else ever). On the GB streams he seemed like a good natured person who would be easier to get along with in person than on the internet.

I thought this was gonna be a Phil Fish AMA lol

Interesting video though. I never really had much of an opinion on Phil and never really understood why he was hated so much, but that video really does put a lot of things in perspective.

I like Phil.

inm8num2

I can't believe people feel personally offended by a lot of video game and internet things.

I think it comes down to everyone having too much spare time. We nitpick, we overanalyze, we squabble, we hold grudges, we entertain ourselves, etc.

Much of the controversy around guys like Phil Fish seems overblown.

UrbanRats

One point of contention is the bolded part.

Should my influence change how I behave? Should I even be cognizant of it? If the fame came from the people, should it be instead up to them to reduce their mindshare of me?

Yes.
Responsibility is not always a choice, but it's still a byproduct of your status, since, whether you like it or not, that influence will be there.

Tain

I never understood those who decided to boycott Fez over Phil Fish's comments when they had been interested in the game itself prior.

The comment on Japanese games reflected some pretty bad taste, though. As did Fez itself, I guess.

gdt

People are just way too into talking about Fish. I don't get it. He's a bit of an asshole, and certainly has no filter, but why should anyone care? He hasn't hurt anyone (give me a break with the one guy having a nightmare), he fucks around on twitter, and makes games.

And that game was fantastic.

I got no problem with gossip, I love it really. But we go over and over and over Phil Fish and I just don't get it.

gdt

People are just way too into talking about Fish. I don't get it. He's a bit of an asshole, and certainly has no filter, but why should anyone care? He hasn't hurt anyone (give me a break with the one guy having a nightmare), he fucks around on twitter, and makes games.

And that game was fantastic.

I got no problem with gossip, I love it really. But we go over and over and over Phil Fish and I just don't get it.

Top Bottom