• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Is Your Country On Drugs: The Secret History of Getting High in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frester

41X0QHGBJL_SL500_AA240_.jpg

First off, I would say this is shameless self promotion except for the minor detail that this is not my book. Rather, Ryan Grim is a friend of mine and he's practically my brother in law. Shameless plugs aside, this is actually a well-written, well researched, and easily accessible book that (I think) deserves to get noticed. GAF is generally a drug-friendly if not pro- crowd (or maybe you guys are just that much more vocal :p), so I probably wouldn't need to pitch the book too hard, but the book isn't an out-and-out cry for legalization of anything nor everything. Quite the opposite, it's a fairly objective survey of American drug policy which I personally think needs quite an overhaul.

Reviews:

Grim launches into a far-reaching look at the history and prominence of drugs in American culture. He offers indisputable evidence that Americans have eagerly consumed all manner of drugs since the country's inception and that for almost as long, Big Pharma has dictated their sale, legality, consumption and availability. One priceless example is Bayer Heroin, the "non-addictive" morphine substitute perfect for children and anything that ails you, introduced around 1900. Oops. Another: Benzedrine "pep pills" for energy, Dexedrine pills for women to lose weight and Ritalin for attention problems. Just make sure you have your ID handy if you want to buy some Sudafed, lest you're planning to cook up a batch of methamphetamine in your trailer. "When methamphetamine is made and sold by major corporations, it's no big deal," Grim states, but when it is "made by bikers . . . we have a crisis."...An engrossing and enlightening look at the history of drug use, culture and policy in the U.S., complete with fascinating, often-surprising facts and anecdotes.

-Debra Ginsberg for Shelf Awareness

Huffington Post correspondent Ryan Grim's book, This Is Your Country on Drugs: The Secret History of Getting High in America, explores the myriad of disconnects that inhabit our conventional wisdom when it comes to drug use and drug policy. Why is it, for example that in order to receive the mandatory minimum jail sentence for powder cocaine you must possess 500 grams, whereas for crack cocaine the amount is only 5 grams? How can a plan for addict treatment, which was effective in reducing use at the expense of only $34 million, be thrown out in favor of a plan featuring military tactics (raids and interdictions) and mandatory minimum jail sentences, with less demonstrated efficacy and a price tag of $783 million? Why is it that Drug Abuse Resistance through Education (aka D.A.R.E., founded by notorious L.A. police chief Daryl Gates) seems to elevate kids' interest in drugs instead of discouraging it?

Grim, who has waded through a staggering amount of research, ranging from government statistics on drug use in America to the impact of the North America Free Trade Act on the drug trade between the U.S. and Mexico, presents his results in a way that is informative, yet neither strident nor didactic. He is equally quick to point out that in California, while some medical marijuana dispensaries can be overly generous with whom they distribute to, one shop alone contributed approximately $875,000 to the state's tax coffers. His reporter's instinct keeps the book from becoming mired in either partisan or policy arguments. Instead, he sticks to facts that show how our country's relationship with drugs is frequently adversarial, and frequently motivated by passion rather than evidence, and that it is always, in his words, a "never ending game of Whac-A-Mole."

-Gerry Donaghy for Powell's Books

"[A] wide-ranging, fascinating romp through the history of America's insatiable appetite for all manner of drugs, from opium to crystal meth, all the way up to the possibly soon-to-be-illegal hallucinogen Salvia divinorum."

-Isaiah Thompson for Philadelphia City Paper

Book jacket:

It's time to stock up on munchies, twist the caps off your water bottles, and get on the bus! You're about to embark on a cross-country tour of the complex, bizarre, and surprising history of drug use in America, a history that takes you from the Massachusetts Bay Colony, through New York's nineteenth-century opium dens, on to the Summer of Love, into the Midwestern "methedemic," and right up to today-where California has effectively legalized marijuana and the rest of the country is thinking of doing the same.

In This Is Your Country on Drugs, journalist Ryan Grim challenges everything you thought you knew about America's drug culture and how and when it began, who contributed to its growth, who opposed it and why, and what makes one drug surge in popularity and another fade.

You'll get the inside story on the huge DEA bust of an acid lab in an abandoned missile silo in Kansas that may have caused the disappearance of LSD in the early 2000s; find out how the temperance movement of the nineteenth century encouraged the use of opium, cocaine, and other narcotics; and discover the link between drugs and the birth of the modern mass media.

Drawing on many sources, both historic and contemporary, Grim asks penetrating questions about America's drug habit. Has the war on drugs done anything to reduce drug use? If all drugs were made legal, would we end up re-criminalizing them? Did our founding fathers-and especially their wives-get high just as frequently as twenty-first-century Americans? Is the crack epidemic really over, if it ever even existed? Did Ronald Reagan inadvertently cause the cocaine boom of the 1980s by going after pot smokers? Did NAFTA open the door for Mexican meth to take over the Midwest? Why do Americans use drugs at a far higher rate than any other people in the world? Why do we put alcohol in a class different from every other drug? Grim's answers are, to say the least, startling.

He also offers thoughtful insights into why different people and groups use different drugs. In a hilarious anecdote about a concert by Andy Warhol's speed-driven performance-art troop Exploding Plastic Inevitable before an audience of pot-smoking, acid-dropping hippies at San Francisco's Fillmore Auditorium in 1968, Grim reveals the connection between lifestyle and drugs of choice, as well as what happens when drug cultures collide.
Complete with revelations about the role of major pharmaceutical companies in both the introduction and eventual criminalization of such drugs as heroin, cocaine, amphetamines, and others, This Is Your Country on Drugs is more than a powerful, fascinating, and often shocking history of one of our knottiest social, cultural, and criminal problems; it is a profound and disturbing exploration of what it means to be an American.

Official site: http://yourcountryondrugs.com/index.html

The book has been available since June 29th, and is $25 at most retailers except only $17 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470167394/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Frester

Amir0x said:
since you said your friend is not anti-drug, i'll look into it.
Quite the opposite really. Knowing him personally I was surprised at the objectivity he maintained throughout the book. But he makes it obvious that he has used a number of different drugs; the book even starts with him talking about how he couldn't find any acid around 2001 :lol

Amir0x

Banned
That's good to hear. I can't speak to the quality of the book, but we need more eloquent outspoken proponents of legalization. I'll give it an order.

Speaking of which, I should write a book about drugs. Love me some drugs.

Also to that blurb: Salvia Divinorum is a perfect example of politicians not thinking before they legislate. Sure, the thing makes you trip. I've tripped balls multiple times on it. But there is zero chance on Earth the thing is either habit forming or dangerous over the long term. I don't know a single person who even desires to do it again immediately after trying it for a first time. It's a fucking scary drug for most people. Actually, it has probably convinced a few people to stay away from acid and shrooms, despite them being almost nothing alike.

Frester

Amir0x said:
That's good to hear. I can't speak to the quality of the book, but we need more eloquent outspoken proponents of legalization.

Speaking of which, I should write a book about drugs. Love me some drugs.
I read it because he's a friend but more so because I'm genuinely interested in the subject matter and I think current American drug policy is a tad ridiculous. He worked for the Marijuana Policy Project for a few years, so yeah. Give it a read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom