• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is about Serafitia

Status
Not open for further replies.
shit, as astrolad alluded to, how many times has my picture been useful to the members here in arguments based on the fact that i look 15?

Gender *is* an issue for them. Why shouldn't it be? Why should everyone assume they're male? I'll agree that some women, like Azala and Dragona and even Lemurs handle it better than most, but why should we force other women to act LIKE them? Shit, if I expected you all to act like -jinx-, you'd flip.

Now, when chicks start getting flirty and obviously expect special consideration for their gender, especially when it comes to holes they've dug in arguments, that's where the mods draw the line.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I'll repeat my main point as my post is quite long and in such a fast moving topic I'm not sure how many people will bother to read it:

Yes a lot of the problems are GAF's fault. However, GAF is no different to the majority of other things out there, whether on the internet or in other parts of society. Does this mean we should just accept it? No, but it means it's going to be fucking hard to get rid of.

nitewulf

Incognito said:
so now it's OA's fault that women here, at ga, are treated badly by the people who don't even visit OA?

great logic there, einstein.

btw, nitewulf, i want you to name the rasist, sexist, and homophobic members who post at OA. DO NOT GENERALIZE because believe it or not, there a lot of "normal" members there.
no you missed my point, i meant since women dont get scared off at Opa age, they'd hardly be scared of by us GAFFERS. i mean we are church choir boys compared to opa agers.

and i cant name specific posters obviously, but you dont agree with me? i know there are normal posters there, hell i was there when opa created opa ages, i was one of the first to support his cause. and left when i just couldnt handle it. if i stuck around, i'd probably be a mod over there. but you dont think there are many racists over there? thing about opa ages is, if you have a thick skin and can step toe to toe with everyone else, you wont have any problems, even if you are richard simmons. but thats not necessarily a normal equilibrium.

karasu said:
Seriously. Even if she wasn't really the girl in her pic, that girl was still called an attention whore, her friends were conidered ****jumpers, she was called ugly, etc etc etc.
Black Stallion was called an attention whore. Fuck, he was given a bright red ATTENTION WHORE tag. It's easier for people to call women attention whores just because they're the main desire of the majority of posters here, but it's not completely one sided.

Hitokage said:
Ok, why are some of you saying "stop making your gender an issue" when you really mean "shut up and pretend to be among the majority". Posters on this forum strut their heterosexual maleness ALL THE TIME, from Drinky Crow's innuendo to the demand for semi-erotic images.
Uh, what? Shut up and pretend to be among the majority? Demand for semi-erotic images? Have you not seen the POST HOT PICTURES OF MEN threads by the GAY AND FEMALE POSTERS??

Gays aren't being told to hide who they are, and I will not condone women being told to do the same.
No one is being told to hide who they are. If a gay man mentions that he's gay in a related thread, he might get a few playful posts towards himself (from other gay posters). Same goes with a girl. If a gay guy posts pictures of himself over and over and over, he'll be hit on by more, and called an attention whore/slut by more. The only reason this double standard exists is because there are, what, 5 girls here? It's much more difficult to be called an attention whore when there's no one to be whoring yourself out to. And that's just the way it is thanks to the ratio of posters.

Furthermore, GA isn't a matchmaking forum. The whole "OMG you're a gurl. PICZ" business needs to stop, and it shouldn't be encouraged. There are other channels for that. :p
I couldn't agree with this more.

Hitokage said:
Regardless of Serafitia's original fraud(which I do not support or defend), the aftereffects justify jinx's point of view to some extent. Why did Be-Ah-Hui feel the need to post her own pic?
BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE SERAFITIA AND GREEKBOY AND COUNTLESS OTHERS PRETENDING TO BE CERTAIN WOMEN IN THE PAST! This is the entire reason there is an overly critical slant over the validity of who a person/woman says she is on here, because of people in the past pretending to be women. I somehow doubt she felt the need to post her own pic in order to not be called an attention whore.

Incognito said:
once you realize this is a forum, and a shitty one at that, things are much better off.
You got banned and unbanned once today, do you want to try to go 2 for 2?

bjork

This thread =
BradFloydChasingTail1986.jpg

The people who think one way aren't going to agree with the people who think otherwise, and vice versa.

The charade's over, and you know Camilla is not Serafitia.

How there's anything further to delve into outside of that, I don't know.

Dilbert

This is mostly a response to The Shadow's post, although I'll probably address some points from others (Mike Works especially) along the way.

My post had nothing to do with a personal relationship with Serafitia. I exchanged fewer than half a dozen PMs with her over the years I've been on this forum, and other than that, the only information I have about her is what's available in the mod console. I didn't even know that her real name was Sara.

If you read what I wrote carefully, you will find two things:

1) I do not condone or accept what Sera did. Passing off someone else's face as your own is wrong, and I don't care for liars in general. Carrying on that kind of deception for several YEARS is clearly a sign that there are some serious underlying issues.

2) I did not claim that this forum was the direct cause of her deception. As someone else pointed out, my observation about this forum is somewhat tangential to what Serafitia did in this particular case. Each person is responsible for the choice he/she makes, and Sera is no exception.

It might be worthwhile for me to explain how I got from point A to B, since it seems to have gotten misunderstood along the way. I simply can't comprehend why someone would want to impersonate someone else for years -- that does not compute. Taking the claim that Sera is a girl -- though not the girl in the pictures -- at face value (sorry about the pun), I was trying to put myself in her shoes to understand why she'd do such a thing. That was the starting point for making the observation about the tone of this board. The statements are not linked in any causal way. It's true that Sera did something terribly wrong, and it's also true that this board can be lousy towards women.

I disagree with the idea that if a woman wants to be left alone, she should keep her gender concealed on this board. I'm sorry, but "don't ask don't tell" is a load of crap, however it might be applied. Everyone has a right to be anonymous if he/she chooses -- that's not in question. But isn't taking pains to hide your gender also a kind of artifice? Why SHOULD people strive to be a faceless, genderless, ageless, cultureless skin to those around them? Considering that a message board THRIVES on differences in perspective, it seems that being able to share a bit about where you're coming from -- including generic data about yourself -- would be a positive thing.

The problem is that when someone admits to being female, what happens next? Either she gets hit with "I don't believe you -- you must be some pervert guy" or she gets hit on, period. If she posts pictures to prove her case, then she either gets harshly critiqued...or gets hit on. There IS a difference between, say, being a gay member of this board, and being female: I can't remember the last time someone got banned for making a derogatory comment towards women, but if you make a slur against gays, you're gone.

Should GAF be a "better place," or live by "work safe" rules? Obviously that isn't for me personally to decide. There is some truth to the idea that guys DO need to go vent, and not everything a guy says ought to be taken seriously. At the same time, your jokes reveal a lot more about your truth than you might think.

Shadow, you're absolutely right -- I should either shut up and leave quietly, or just shut up. I appreciate the fact that you cared enough to spell out your position, though -- you contributed a lot to this thread. Thanks.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No more than I wonder if you're not just a serial killer waiting for the proper time.

...and sometimes I worry.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I probably shouldn't bump this thread, but since I'm getting back to it after it turned into an actual discussion, I feel that I should make a brief statement.

Yes, we can argue that a lot of this is the nature of the internet. You can just try to desensitize yourself to anything that's been brought to light here, whether it's the identity fraud, the objectificaion of women or other gender issues, whatever. And until this thread I was probably a proponent of just saying, "hey, fuck it, it's the internet, we're mostly guys, let's just deal," and I made that pretty clear in a recent mod forum thread related to (and preceeding) this.

But now, after this rare discussion, I do think that we can do something about these issues at GAF. Small steps can be taken to produce larger results over time, and we'll be discussing ways of possibly taking those steps. Whether calming the fap threads or "OMG HI TO U" type of response is something that should be done...well, it does seem that way for now.

At the very least I'll be showing my mature side -- very briefly, I assure you ;b -- until we come to some conclusions internally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom