• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's OMGWTF Japanese mag news (Wii Vanillaware game!)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Amir0x said:
isn't it so awesome

sometimes it teases you with its delicate little secrets, and then it adds another slight tiny twist but in reality it's such a massive altercation of the future strategy you must take that you're like :eek:

Every single new shape is actually horrible, horrible... because it means the board will have far more variety in shapes, which means harder to locate rectangle/square perimeters
I didn't understood your post a couple of minutes ago but a big green pentagon just appeared! :O

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Wow, the Wii is starting to games the type of games I really want.

MMV is easily becoming one of the best Wii developers, hopefully it pays off in spades.

Tenbatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:

MMV is easily becoming one of the best Wii developers, hopefully it pays off in spades.

Publisher....

Bebpo

Banned
The main problem with Marvelous is that they used to be a piece of shit (like Idea Factory but in publisher-form), and now they're trying to move away from being known as a publisher for mediocre crap, but so far it's been all talk and show without actually putting out any HQ AAA game. No More Heroes could end up being awesome like Killer 7 and actually bring up their general image, or it could be like all of Suda's non-Killer 7 games and be a mediocre title, which would just reinforce the type of games MMV is known to bring out.

KiticanaX

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

It looks like they're trying to be the new "niche" publisher kinda of like Atlus. I mean they're also bringing "No More Heroes" and now "Valhalla Nights 2". Then again we're seeing alot of wanna be niche publishers such as UFO who's publishing that shoot-em-up and KiKaiWorld for the Wii and XSeed who did Valhalla Knights and jWildArms 5.

Matix

Lain said:
Valhalla Knights 2?! HELL YES!
I'm one of the (I guess) few people that really love the first game.
I hope they expand the game in the sequel and fix some of the little issues it had, as the gameplay is simply awesome in the first one.

Guess that was their secret PSP-Project, which was going to be officially revealed this Friday.

duckroll

Well I guess MMV just realized that targeting the "will buy crap" audience was really limiting. So they started going after a niche audience with slightly higher budget games than usual. Not a bad plan.

Duderz

Banned
Glad to see Vanillaware on the Wii, Odin Sphere was all right, hopefully they can make a game with more (far more) content than it had.

icecream

Public Health Threat
sp0rsk said:
This should have been a Live Arcade game. :\ God knows they will be charging full price.
Depends on how good the port is, although wasn't 3 not made by the same people as 1 and 2?

Vanillaware on Wii is good, and any Vanillaware is awesome.

Jiggy

Mama Smurf said:
Oh fucking hell, I get unstuck at the 150 level again. This game's rigged I tells ya!
I just barely scraped by after managing to string together three rectangles with the time boost in it. :eek:

Matix

Oldschool said:

435300.jpg

436160.jpg

Whatever the score, this still looks awesome as ever.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Amir0x said:
it's laughing at you

menacingly
more than 15 min later: still alive!

btw: there's a lot of good games coming out for mobile phones in japan -_-

Arde5643

FUCKING MEGATON thanks to Jonnyram said:
Wii Oboro Muramasa Youtouden <- hope the reading is correct, here's the Japanese for reference: &#26407;&#26449;&#27491;&#22934;&#20992;&#20253;
Published by MMV
Developed by Vanillaware
- ARPG using Wiimote to use sword and various attacks
- play mode can be quick/refreshing or hardcore/repeat over-and-over style
- graphically looks like Odin Sphere but with a more Japanese feel
Oh god!! I love Vanillaware games even if I never finish any of their games, but just the graphics and styles themselves make me gush like a fanboy.

Fuckin' day one sale for me whenever they decide to bring it here.

Saitou

Banned
ethelred said:
In comparison to Crisis Core's 35... They gave DQMJ a 36, Children of Mana a 36, Crystal Chronicles a 35, FF3 a 34, Rocket Slime a 34, Chocobo a 33, Revenant Wings a 32.

So there you go. I don't think the Famitsu reviews count for much, but this should let you put it in the proper perspective, good or bad.
The universe in unbalance.

Oboro Muramasa Youtouden... i'm trying to figure it out, so basically it translates to: Misty moon sword of ninja/demonish something or other?

Throw me a bone here JGAFers!

ethelred

-WindYoshi- said:
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden... i'm trying to figure it out, so basically it translates to: Misty moon sword of ninja/demonish something or other?

It means &#12362;&#12412;&#12429;&#12416;&#12425;&#12414;&#12373;&#12424;&#12358;&#12392;&#12358;&#12391;&#12435;.

traveler

Not Wario
ethelred said:
It means &#12362;&#12412;&#12429;&#12416;&#12425;&#12414;&#12373;&#12424;&#12358;&#12392;&#12358;&#12391;&#12435;.

Ah, it all becomes clear now.

No, really, I'd like to know as well.

Jonnyram said:
Wii Fuurai no Shiren 3
- release in 2008
- main char is Shiren. Coppa and Asuka in it too.
- also Shiren's Sensei will be a char this time
- new monsters
- items can change in a new system called "equipment development system"
- place items in special places in dungeons and in a certain number of turns they change
- about 30 types of dungeon will be included

Hell yes.

Tenbatsu

Wii Fuurai no Shiren 3
- release in 2008
- main char is Shiren. Coppa and Asuka in it too.
- also Shiren's Sensei will be a char this time
- new monsters
- items can change in a new system called "equipment development system"
- place items in special places in dungeons and in a certain number of turns they change
- about 30 types of dungeon will be included

Please let Akiman be the cover art artist again!
0767.jpg

Jonnyram

-WindYoshi- said:

Muramasa and Youtou are both names of legendary weapons. Den means legend/story and I'm not really sure where the oboro fits in, if I picked the right reading. It means haze/hazy.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Muramasa and Youtou are both names of legendary weapons. Den means legend/story and I'm not really sure where the oboro fits in, if I picked the right reading. It means haze/hazy.

Well, Youtou just means "demon blade" which is a popular match for the weapons that Muramasa crafted. Murasama is actually the name of a legendary swordsmith, hence "Murasama's Sword", etc. The reason that Murasama's swords were said to be demon blades is that they're made to be so sharp and deadly that once drawn they cannot be returned to the casing until it draws human blood. I'm pretty sure the game is based on the legend of ONE sword, and not two. No idea about Oboro though, maybe it's the name of a character?

Abel

I think the name might stand for "Legend of the Shadeblade, Oboro Muramasa" or something to that effect :)

KiticanaX

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Holy crap!

Wii Vanillaware title in the vein of OdinSphere?

I played through a lot of it, and jesus is that game freaking gorgeous.

True but I was more fond of the gameplay. I loved the hack-n-slash, with potions, and tough trial and error enemies. :)

So is their Wii game a spiritual sequel to a spiritual sequel?

SuomiDude

Reading the title I thought that there were some news about the WiiWare games, but it was just some developer I haven't heard of :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
SuomiDude said:
Reading the title I thought that there were some news about the WiiWare games, but it was just some developer I haven't heard of :lol

What the hell is this WiiWare that people keep referencing?

KiticanaX

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
What the hell is this WiiWare that people keep referencing?

A service that Nintendo is launching later this year or early 08 that is going to allow you to download ground up Wii titles online. Think of it as the Virtual Console but you get new games instead.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
jj984jj said:
So basically Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 2 is as good as Crisis Core.
Would there be any doubt?
I'd buy both if I didn't spill on my bike and destroy my cellphone last week. Now I have to go with just Crisis Core. :(
Bebpo said:
No More Heroes could end up being awesome like Killer 7 and actually bring up their general image, or it could be like all of Suda's non-Killer 7 games and be a mediocre title, which would just reinforce the type of games MMV is known to bring out.
I like you a little more now.

Btw, I was "reading" some Famitsu bit on No More Heroes, and what's with all the otaku "I live in a hotel with my loli minis" bit of the game? I was mighty confused.

Top Bottom