• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those huge checklists in Sakurai's games...

mrmickfran

I'm talking about those grids of achievements found in his games

WVW69jLjTTgI_yEhwi
esSpu.jpg
KAR_Checklist.png

Has anybody actually completed any of them? It always seemed like a tall order to go through and complete over 100 actual challenges (360 in Kirby Air Ride & Kid Icarus) through one game, but some people are crazy. Like me for example:

Kirby Air Ride

Actually completed the checklist for this one (360 achievements, 120 for Air Ride, Top Ride and City Trial each). Though it was a joint effort between me and my brother. Though I do remember using the purple checkboxes of shame (automatically completes the challenge for you). Don't remember the exact playtime, it had to be over 100 hours though. Fantastic game.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Actually completed this one too. (128 challenges) This one was also a joint effort but with me and 2 brothers this time. We did use the hammers of shame, but only for the ones that would be way too tedious (100-Man Brawl as everyone, REALLY?). I can't remember how long it took but I remember the exact playtime being above 300 hours. Absolutely hated Brawl, but me and my brothers had fun.

Kid Icarus Uprising

Actually did not complete this one (currently sitting at 356/360 challenges completed; 120 for Palutena, 120 for Viridi and 116 for Hades). I don't think I'll ever be able to do those last 4 challenges (Clear Chapter 19 on 9.0 with a club, Chapter 14 without taking damage, Boss Battles on Hard and Acquiring all powers). Absolutely refuse to use the feathers of shame. Play time currently sits at 172 hours. In my top 10 favorite of all time. Time will tell if I ever do those last 4 achievements. Fuck those streetpass achievements hard.

Super Smash Bros. For Wii U

Nowhere near completing this one (currently sitting at 93/140 challenges completed). Had the game since launch and don't really see myself going back to it. Got too busy with school and work and just lost interest. Would be fun if me and my brothers just did it for old times sake.

I always loved this thing in Sakurai's games, ups the replay value to unimaginable levels. Really wish Meteos had one. Can't wait for his next game.

How about you guys? Did you complete any of them? What do you think about them?

Bonus image:

Hazu

This is the reason why I want achievements on Nintendo games. Nintendo games are the most fun to play and to that kind of stuff. :)

Kinsei

Banned
I've completed the checklists in Kirby's Air Ride, Brawl, and Smash 3DS. I'm pretty close to completing the list in Kid Icarus.

I really enjoy them.

DVG

I finished the grid in smash for Wii u without any hammers. Very slowly working on it from release until about 2 months ago. Felt bittersweet when I did because I always had something to work towards and now I don't. Still play it all the time with friends though

Did Kirby Air Ride and Smash 3DS. This close to completing Smash Wii U, but I never beat that one Classic Mode 9.0 challenge (you know the one).

I think I missed a couple in Brawl, too. I did a good chunk of Kid Icarus: Uprising as well, with the Hades Treasure Hunt board giving me some serious trouble.

I think I tried some of the challenges in Brawl but I bailed after 20-30 failed attempts at Cruel Boss Rush.

As much as I love Sakurai trying to 100% his games would probably make me go insane. Anyone remember the Diskun trophy in Melee?

I feel like I did most of Brawls, only missing three or four (probably stuff like collect all stickers and get 10 kills in cruel melee).

The rest though? not even close, especially Kid Icarus having three of the things complete with some silly stuff like having to let a boss kick your ass and finish them in a near death state being used multiple times.

Zubz

Banned
I know I completed Smash 3DS' (Only with a Hammer for the "Collect All Random Drops" one, though).I also think I completed the first achievement screen for Kid Icarus.

I came close on all of them, though! ... Except Kid Icarus' 3rd one. Those speedrun times were far beyond my skillset.

simonshinra

Neo Member
I know I completed Smash 3DS' (Only with a Hammer for the "Collect All Random Drops" one, though).I also think I completed the first achievement screen for Kid Icarus.
The day my finger slipped and I accidentaly used the last hammer for the challenge next to that one will forever be the saddest day of my life (I eventually gave up getting all the custom moves)

That's what I was saying I would love for a Switch achievement system to be based off of. I like the idea of each game having at the bare minimum a picture that is locked behind the achievements. And bigger achievements are bigger shapes.

I have no idea what to call it so I just call it the Sakurai Wall lol.

Wasn't one of the ones in Brawl "Beat Boss Rush on Intense without taking any damage"?

I wouldn't even TRY to attempt that one. Congrats to those of you that did it.

If my Circle Pad had fallen off my of 3DS I was actually making an attempt at Smash for 3DS. The list of achievements at least seemed doable with my limited skills unlike the Wii U one which was way beyond me.

Hoping for a New 3DS deal this holiday but so I can get the remaining custom moves.

dem hammers tho

The hammers/feather always leaving a permanent mark after you used them made me feel bad.

Wasn't one of the ones in Brawl "Beat Boss Rush on Intense without taking any damage"?

I wouldn't even TRY to attempt that one. Congrats to those of you that did it.

It was just beating it on intense, mercifully the damage part wasn't a factor.
Still tough as hell though, you screw up a single spot dodge on Tabuu's triple red ring attack and it was instantly over.
Meta Knight's neutral air though, what a lifesaver, I know some swear by rock smash spam with Charizard but nah that fella isn't quick enough.

Kouriozan

Completed wall 1 & 2 in Kid Icarus but 3 was too much.
Anyway I still love them a lot, give me stuff to aim for and force me to improve in modes I don't play a lot.
The hammers/feather always leaving a permanent mark after you used them made me feel bad.
Yep I never use them for this reason :x

Seliph

Neo Member
I've finished Brawl's, Smash 3DS, Smash Wii U's and Kirby Air Ride's. Pretty close to finishing the one for Kid Icarus Uprsising.
Meta Knight's neutral air though, what a lifesaver, I know some swear by rock smash spam with Charizard but nah that fella isn't quick enough.
I found Fox to be the best for Boss Battle on Intense, since his Blaster allows for good damage from a safe distance and the reflector completely trivializes Meta Ridley. His aerials and overall speed also help a lot.

mrmickfran

The only one I beat was was the event matches in melee. Those are tame though compared to the ones now. even then it only went to like 52.
I couldn't even complete the Melee one. My brother did it. The final event was madness.
For a second I read the title as Sakura's games.... OP got me excited for nothing.
lol
These checklists are what killed my urge to be a game completionist. Like, slayed it dead.
Weak, it should've encouraged you.
It was just beating it on intense, mercifully the damage part wasn't a factor.
Still tough as hell though, you screw up a single spot dodge on Tabuu's triple red ring attack and it was instantly over.
I did it with Kirby Stone/Hammer did so much damage.

The hammer of shame.

That Spongebob reference is amazing. Never been big on achievements so my completion percentage is usually low for his games despite how much I like them.

"That's a good one Squidward!"

*All throw a rock*

Bakkus

I did try for KI:U but Hades' board is pretty much impossible for me. Beating a stage on 9 with a club? I'd probably commit suicide if I was forced to never give up.

mrmickfran

Those of you who attempted them, which game seemed the most difficult or time consuming?

Kid Icarus was both difficult and time consuming.

That game is actually pretty long and it requires multiple playthroughs, unless you're crazy enough to do 9.0 difficulty on your first try.

That game can also get pretty hard.

I did try for KI:U but Hades' board is pretty much impossible for me. Beating a stage on 9 with a club? I'd probably commit suicide if I was forced to never give up.

FUCK THAT ONE SOOO HARD

GamerJM

Banned
I think I did the one in Brawl. I almost did the 3DS one but then Wii U came out so I kind of gave up. If there was just one version of Smash 4 I probably would have completed it.

Completed Kirby with a Friend, Did Brawl myself, and did Smash 3DS by myself.

I was working on Uprising but I sold it along with my 2nd 3DS so my girlfriend at the time could visit me so I lost all my progress and haven't gotten back to the game.

Oh and I'll say I love them. The Trophy/Funny Screen shots from Smash were nice little things. Better than nothing anyway.

Themes for finishing a games full achievement list would be super cool.

Crayolan

I 100%'d Smash Wii U, no hammers. It was fun up until the part where I had to get all custom moves/outfits. That part took several days of tedious grinding.

The single hardest challenge for me was Classic 9.0 without a single death. That shit drove me crazy.

Top Bottom