• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Starfield Player Has Already Surveyed All the Planets in the Game

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
A-Starfield-Player-Has-Already-Fully-Scanned-All-the-Planets-in-the-game.jpg

One incredibly patient Starfield player has gone off the beaten path and done the seemingly impossible: they’ve managed to fully survey every possible planet in the game. We’ll let that sink in for a second.

In essence, this is a monumental task as fully surveying one planet to 100% completion typically takes around three or four hours to do. Not only does a player have to visit every biome on a planet to achieve that exhaustive process, but it’s also heavily reliant on RNG as well due to the randomly generated nature of planet exploration. Outside of gas giants, which take approximately five seconds to fully survey, netting a 100% survey completion can take a lot of time and patience.

A-Starfield-player-has-already-fully-surveyed-every-planet-in-the-game.jpg

Specifically, Reddit user DoomZero has fully surveyed 1,694 planets in Starfield, and according to their estimates, it’s taken them around 180 hours to do this challenge. With some quick math, that equals over a staggering nine planets per hour. How did they do it so fast? Well, we imagine that those aforementioned gas giants skewed the numbers in a big way as you can achieve a 100% scan of them almost instantly, as long as you’re in orbit around said planet.

In addition, another tip that was shared in the thread is the fact that killing lifeforms on a planet’s surface automatically surveys them, so you don’t need to use your hand scanner. In other words, your gun can serve as your hand scanner, which is pretty handy. Lastly, another useful tidbit lies in the skill trees. Essentially, unlocking ranks in Astrophysics, Scanning, Botany, and Surveying all help speed up the process of getting that elusive 100% survey completion.

world of warcraft blizzard GIF by South Park

Comedy Central Gamer GIF by South Park

BigLee74

Erm, no thanks.

I like a ‘survey’ every now and again for some chill time, but planet traversal is too boring to make this achievable.

And Starfield, now there is a game with seriously borked gamma. Always so washed out.

(Still enjoying it though)

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Kudos… I loved exploring the barren planets in ME but gave up on the same in Starfield very fast. No vehicle, no quests to speak of, planets very similar…

Just running around and scanning random rocks was no really fun to me.

3-4 hours to survey a planet to 100%? Nah, most of them can be done in ten minutes or less thanks to the great fast travel ability.

I started doing this and tore out a decent chunk but then I hit a planet that was glitched and couldn’t get the last life form so I stopped.

YuLY

In essence, this is a monumental task as fully surveying one planet to 100% completion typically takes around three or four hours to do.
Only if you have no idea what you are doing. Once you've done 1 or 2 planets it shouldnt take more than 1 hour even for the 0/8 flora and fauna ones. Traits are also easy to spot, they appear as Unknown with "location" sign or "lifeline" sign when you look through the scanner.

I already have a hard time justifying to myself doing the collectibles in eg Ubisoft games. But those take maybe a couple of (dozens in later games) hours.
But 180 hours of a probably ultrarepetitive task is still nowhere close to what many people spent in MP games.
So whatever... Dude had a mission and achieved it. Congrats I guess.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Okay, I have no doubt that this was very time consuming but not "seemingly impossible." Not even close.

There's a finite number of star systems in Starfield, and that number isn't even that wild. I am not at all surprised that there was some sperglord somewhere who took the time to survey all of it within a month.

If you want to see something impressive then check out the numerous expeditions that Elite Dangerous players have undertaken over the years in an effort to map out the Milky Way galaxy. Huge groups of nerds recruiting literal fleets of ships and spending almost 10 years on discovering new star systems and surveying their planets. And how much of the galaxy they managed to discover so far? Less than 1 goddamned percent, lol.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
You can considerably speed up the process of surveying planets with skills and AMP (that increases your walking speed by 80%),it´s super boring but you can make the process 200% faster anyways.

Bareen Moons and Gas Giants are super easy to scan anyways.

Roufianos

The only sadder thing than this player is the fact that the devs thought 1000+ planets was a good idea. This thread shouldn't be the reaction to someone exploring 100% of a game.

Westcliff

Neo Member
In essence, this is a monumental task as fully surveying one planet to 100% completion typically takes around three or four hours to do. Not only does a player have to visit every biome on a planet to achieve that exhaustive process, but it’s also heavily reliant on RNG as well due to the randomly generated nature of planet exploration. Outside of gas giants, which take approximately five seconds to fully survey, netting a 100% survey completion can take a lot of time and patience.

Complete nonsense, like so much that is written about Stafield at the moment. With the appropriate skills and if you know what to look for, this is a matter of minutes for most planets and moons without an atmosphere. Planets with different biomes can take longer, but not insignificantly.

Success

Everyone hating on this achievement is getting exposed for their inner insecurities.

We have speedrunners dedicating their life to 20 year old games and putting in over 1,000 hours.

Yet, a man who played 1 game for 200 hours to achieve something and share it with the community is getting ridiculed by some people here.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Everyone hating on this achievement is getting exposed for their inner insecurities.

We have speedrunners dedicating their life to 20 year old games and putting in over 1,000 hours.

Yet, a man who played 1 game for 200 hours to achieve something and share it with the community is getting ridiculed by some people here.

The same people who will collect a hundred of this and hundred of that other thing to get a Platinum trophy. Wow, such achievement.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

I think speedrunning is kind of dumb a lot of the times, but at least it is centered around the agonal spirit.

Top Bottom