• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those "stomach drops" when driving over small hills...so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuterald

So, my boss was trying to get me to take a different route to the office to save time on my commute. I could never get myself to take this shortcut because I was stubbornly comfortable with my own route. Well, a week or so before Christmas there was an accident on the road I usually take to work. What's funny is that my GPS on my phone detoured me onto the very same route she's been suggesting! While I'm not sure if it saves much more time than my original way to work, it's certainly less congested/aggravating. More importantly, however, is the added bonus that I get to experience to and from work...stomach drops.

Stock photo...not as cool as mine.
bumps-in-the-road.jpg

I don't know if it's something I enjoyed when I was a kid as a passenger or what, but that feeling/sensation in your stomach when you drive over that perfect hill...it just feels right. I'm sure everyone has experienced this before, but what do you call them? I've just gone with "stomach drops" my entire life.

The hills around Madison, WI are so fun to do this with.
My father always tried to catch the family off guard when we were heading down to Grandma and Grandpa's.

There's a road in my town called Hylo where it's just a lot of up and down. It's awesome when we have low fog because you dip into the fog and emerge a second later but repeat a bunch of times.

Yuterald

You must love rollercoasters.

I actually don't. I mean, as a kid they were fun, but I'm not really a theme park guy these days, hah! I like the unexpected discovery of a stomach drop hill. You'd expect them on a roller coaster, but just driving around or going down a shortcut/new road for the first time you wouldn't really know it until it hits you. Better that way.

foxdvd

When my son was very young, we were taking a ride with him in his car seat. We went over a hill and he says in his squeaky little voice "HEY! WHO TICKLING MY PEE PEE!" He is a teenager now and I still laugh when I think about it...

I hate them; my body reacts really badly to free fall and there's nothing I can do about it. It's unfair because I love doing stuff that involves dropping (diving, racing, etc.) and have to force my way through the feeling.

Seriously, one big hump in a rollercoaster and my body starts going into anxiety attack mode. Not so bad with short humps like on a road but big ones wreck me.

Rad-

How can one enjoy something like this? I feel like vomiting after driving a really bumpy road.

Strangely enough, I don't get that sick feeling when riding rollercoasters. Only roads.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Yeah, those types of roads deliver such a good feeling in the old nethers that I'll go out of my way to drive them...

NastyBook

I love driving on roads that have slight dips in them that go on for a few miles of so. If I go lax enough, my head bobs with each dip. It's fun.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
When I lived in backwoods Maine, I had two routes to get to the "city". One was a highway that took about 30 minutes. The other a back road through the woods filled with twists and turns and these stomach drops. The backroad took at least twice as long but I almost always took it because of how much more enjoyable it was to drive. And a big part of that enjoyment was the stomach drops. One in particular was located at a perfect area, a long straight stretch with evenly spaced human planted trees on both sides that created a beautiful echo of the engine and exhaust, leading into a hairpin turn that also jumped several feet in elevation, and then charged up a hill, peaking into a blueberry field, lake in the background, mountains beyond that, a little S bend in the road leading right into a dip that gave the best stomach drop on the road. I could have driven that little section a billion times. It was a shame when the police started setting up speed traps on that road. It's 40MPH limit hadn't been followed by a single person in decades until then.

McBryBry

The hills around Madison, WI are so fun to do this with.
My father always tried to catch the family off guard when we were heading down to Grandma and Grandpa's.

My dad would always do the same exact thing lol. That or he'd stare at my mom like "You know what's coming."

strobogo

Banned
I loved roller coasters until I was about 22 and they started to make my body hurt. I'm sore for 3 days after a trip to King's Island now.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
There's a crest created from a bridge that goes over some railway tracks in the city I grew up in. You used to take this route to get to my cousins house. As a kid going over this bridge was always a blast.

It wasn't until we moved interstate and I started studying at Uni in the city. The main road in is a pain at times due to the traffic, but one of the inner roads that covers the same route is up along the hill area. There's one drop on there that is pandemonium to the stomach. I fucking love it so much that if I am in the area I will go out of my way just to drive over it and double-back home.

Tremas

Absolutely hate the sensation. Theme parks are strictly no-go for me and travel via plane is always an ordeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom