• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those using performances mode, do you still notice a graphic leap from last gen?

Do you notice a graphics leap even when using performance mode?

• Yes, using performance modes still has a noticeable uplift in graphics

Votes: 43 81.1%
  • No, using performance mode doesn't give a significant graphic uplift

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
Just wondering as I always use performance mode if it's available. But obviously we have to sacrifice fidelity.

So assuming we only ever choose performance mode, are you happy with the leap from last gen to current gen graphically speaking? I.e. even with performance mode do you see a noticeable leap in the graphics?

Edit: yeah I know we're only just emerging from cross gen, but from what you've seen/experienced so far

Last edited:

TrebleShot

It depends on the game completely.
HFW yes, it looks fantastic and a big jump from the PS4 games.

For third party games no, they are essentially slightly sharper with increased frame rates which is fantastic, but essentially we have the PS4 gen to blame for this as the CPUs were very weak laptop chips.

I think for me the biggest issue is the upscaling methods arent really robust enough to support lower res and higher FR. They introduce artefactIng and fuzzy lines etc.
Especially with modern displays mostly being OLED and 4k . The saving grace is that most people play at a distance that means most of the lower res isnt too much of an impact in reality but if your looking for it youll find it.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
60 fps for all games is a graphical leap ... that been said, Demons Souls RRMAKE (linear game) / HFW (open world) in 60 fps are glorious .....

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
If you mean a HUGGEEEEE leap, no.

If you mean whether there still a big different, yea.

Im happy with performance mode, definitely looks way better than ps4 visuals.

Last edited:

Banned
no mode gives a significant graphical leap over last gen.

there are maybe 2 games on current gen that look like their graphics would be hard to pull of on last gen. especially on One X many of these games would most likely look only marginally different if fully utilised

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Depends on the game. HFW and Rachet: A Crack in Time are the best examples at bumping FPS while still showcasing noticeable graphical improvements.

Everything that's third party is not truly 100% optimized. So yeah, it's a mixed bag.

Still, constant 60 fps is a gamechanger for me.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Performance modes are usually like PS4 Pro+, but at twice the framerate. So a bit better, but not any generational leap really. I still always choose it over RT modes or higher resolutions, unless the performance mode looks MUCH worse, but that's rarely the case.

bbeach123

I dont know why my standard to graphics dropped hard when playing with console and TV . From 4k to 1440p dynamic ? No biggie , 1080p 60fps ? Pretty blurry but doable . 30fps dropped ? fuck you but still playable .

But when I'm using my pc , 90% resolution scale at 1440p feel blurry . Dropped from 60 to 45fps mean un-fucking-playable .

barely notice the difference in any mode
a few more frames here, a few more pixels there
some fake ray shading and short loading
thin gruel if you ask me

Moriah20

games are not static pictures so obviously i will always prefer better motion clarity. 4k with 30 fps still looks like a smeared mess as soon as you move the camera. Without quality motion blur it will also look stuttery.
Furthermore the input response is just vastly better at 60 fps. Honestly even an easy game like hogwarts legacy is vastly improved at 60 fps.

back in the ps2 days when we had much simpler, less visually busy games, often with fixed camera angles, 30 fps was far more acceptable. But playing something like Horizon forbidden west at 30 fps legit gives me a headache. It's just too visually dense and busy for 30 fps.

as for the actual question, playing big open world games at 60 fps on a console feels like a huge leap indeed.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Yeah I notice the difference 100%. I'm not sure if the average consumer would notice a difference, but once you're more of an "enthusiast" and have messed around with graphics settings quite a bit and have more of an understanding how everything works, all these minor improvements add up and are quite transformative.

I remember Gears 5 on last gen and from my memory the performance mode on on Series X has some quite amazing screen space reflections along with better ambient occlusion. For me it adds so much to the final image.

anthony2690

Gold Member
Yeah I notice the difference 100%. I'm not sure if the average consumer would notice a difference.
My casual gamer other half can instantly tell the difference, I'd be surprised if others can't, I think some are just ignorant or won't touch performance mode as they don't want their high fidelity ruined, what I guess I can respect as it's near impossible to go back imo.

Last edited:

Fbh

IMO games like Forbidden West, Ratchet and Demon Souls still manage to present a graphical leap from Ps4 while running at 60fps. It's not a massive leap but it's still there.
But that's just "graphics", I think visually the fact a game like Forbidden West can look that good while being open world and running at solid 60fps absolutely feels like a generational leap over Ps4

Top Bottom