• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on Square Enix anno 2021?

Square Enix?

• I like the new Square Enix

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I want the old Square Enix

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I just want a new Deus Ex

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Let's get the obvious "bad" games out of the way - Like, Marvels Avengers, Balan Wonderworld and Actraiser: Renaissance.

Square Enix has had a pretty good year, releasing Hitman 3, FF:VII Remake Intergrade, Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139, Outriders, Life is Strange: True Colors and Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy - and upcoming Endwalker expansion for FF:XIV.

Do you guys miss the older Square Enix IP's or are you more invested in their new IP's?

Speaking for myself, I really like People Can Fly got the oppurtunity to release Outriders as a non-GaaS - even releasing free expansion within the same year is something we don't see often. I'm also intrigued by the GotG universe, which will undoubtedly be getting sequels.

Looks like Square Enix is on the right path - letting devs do their games without interfering too much (no mtx/free expansion) with games that could generate a lot more, if they used the usual mtx strategy.

Or.. Is Deus Ex more important than anything?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I've only ever been invested in Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, so I'm fine. Maybe Tomb Raider and Parasite Eve to a lesser degree. Nier was cool, but I've never tried Automata or the spiritual prequels in Drakengard. So yeah, whatever. It's cool.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Hitman 3 is the best game on that list to me but Square didn't publish it. I REALLY liked Bravely Default 2 and they were responsible for that this year.

IDK, Square is kind of a mixed bag now. I find their smaller budget games way more interesting than their AAA stuff. I'm looking forward to Triangle Strategy.

NewYork214

I'm absolutely loving GotG. Wasn't planning on wasting my entire day off on it. Did laundry and then blew through first 6 chapters today. They really didn't do this game justice with the trailers. Super excited for FFXVI and VII-2. I'm loving square enix lately.

I actually like the direction SquareEnix has been going lately, with the big exception of turning Final Fantasy into a mindless action open-world game with XV.

I love the old-style RPGs we're getting with things like Voice of Cards, Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default 2 and even I Am Setsuna/Lost Sphear. Triangle Strategy will be great too, despite its horrible name.

Dragon Quest is as great as always and the DQ3 Remake looks perfect. I'm very excited for DQ12.

Final Fantasy VII Remake was awesome and I can't wait for part 2. Final Fantasy XVI looks good as well, as does the latest FFXIV expansion.

Kumomeme

maybe it is not the right time to compare current square with the one during their old glory day yet, since i dont think they already 'settle down' yet. current square is currently on path of 'recovery' from all of the mess during PS360 era. so far they show some 'hope' during previous gen despite some troubled output. we will see how they fare next in this new generation especially once FFXVI, Forspoken etc. released later.

so far Guardian of Galaxy received positive response and they admitted on Avengers screw up part. lets see how they carry themself later.

Griffon

While the story of FF7R was a huge bummer for me, its gameplay was quite good in hindsight.
Then there was Trials of Mana and FF14, both amazing games. I think Square is gonna do fine.

Focus on the Japanese side. Crystal Dynamics and Eidos are a lost cause.

SpokkX

not counting MMO (FF14 seems like a good one of those - I dont care for MMO)

they have released one great game in the last 10 years imo: Nier Automata.. before that the last great game was FF12...... in 2006..

frankly I think their output sucks overall today

I feel like it's quite telling of their state when their biggest bombs outshine their actual formidable releases.

I almost forgot all those other games existed beyond their recent troubles.

Iced Arcade

I hope Square sells off the Eidos studios so they can get better handling. TR, Duex EX, Just Cause, Hitman etc have never been given the proper attention/marketing they deserve.

best thing that happened for Hitman was Square letting go of IO interactive.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
not counting MMO (FF14 seems like a good one of those - I dont care for MMO)
FFXIV is barely an MMO. I almost never play with other people and SE has implimented systems where you dont have to. Its essentially a mainline FF that they released in parts and subsidized development with subscriptions. It's a fantastic game and the best in its series

SpokkX

FFXIV is barely an MMO. I almost never play with other people and SE has implimented systems where you dont have to. Its essentially a mainline FF that they released in parts and subsidized development with subscriptions. It's a fantastic game and the best in its series
I this really what you think? I have played and completed every FF from 3 to 13 (except 11).. and I tried FF14 after posts like this.

Played for 15 hours of FF14 and it VERY MUCH a standard MMO as far as I can tell... a fine one at that..
I got eternal fetch quests and "kill that monster" and typical "rush-dungeons" where everyone just runs to the boss because they are playing it for the 100:th time
Lots of crafting, cooking and shit....

Got some cutscenes but it was not nearly on the level of the older ff with limited voice acting etc..

Does the game COMPLETELY change after a while? you DONT do MMO type quests later? you dont have to craft or cook etc? are there actual dungeons slow with puzzles? Are there actually characters to care about?

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I this really what you think? I have played and completed every FF from 3 to 13 (except 11).. and I tried FF14 after posts like this.

Played for 15 hours of FF14 and it VERY MUCH a standard MMO as far as I can tell... a fine one at that..
I got eternal fetch quests and "kill that monster" and typical "rush-dungeons" where everyone just runs to the boss because they are playing it for the 100:th time
Lots of crafting, cooking and shit....

Got some cutscenes but it was not nearly on the level of the older ff with limited voice acting etc..

Does the game COMPLETELY change after a while? you DONT do MMO type quests later? you dont have to craft or cook etc? are there actual dungeons slow with puzzles? Are there actually characters to care about?
Yes. You get introduced to the main cast around level 20 and that's when the game starts to shift. It will still be mostly fetch quests until the end of ARR but starting in Heavensward the quests start to improve.

If it's characters you want to care about, FF14 has that in no small supply. 14 has the best characters I've ever seen in a game.

kevm3

PSX era Square was prime Square. Modern square is ok, but I've been liking more of the products coming from the Enix side such as DQ11 and DQ Builders.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I don't know. I like them as devs, not so much as publishers I guess. I can't see Tomb Raider as a Square game, it's 100% Core/Eidos in my aging world :D

Raven117

Where is, I want the old SquareSOFT?

But that said, it seems after a disaster of a ps3 generation, and some improvments in ps4....they are getting back into the swing of things.

FFXIV....Is a triumph for the company.

Top Bottom