• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on the "Cartoon Community"?

Jubenhimer

A fanbase/community on YouTube that's still pretty small and recently, has gained a bit of infamy from outside viewers, and that's the cartoon community. The people who talk about and review western animation with their thoughts and opinions on various shows and topics. At least it's supposed to be. See, the Cartoon "Community" is a bit of a clusterfuck, with most people in it being whinny, obnoxious spammy click-bait, interspersed with a few genuinely good creators. And of course, YouTube comments are as lazy and one-dimensional as ever in these videos. So what are my problems with the community having followed it over the years?

1. Beating a dead horse - We get it, Teen Titans Go! sucks, PPG 2016 is lame, your tired of CN and Nickelodeon spamming SpongeBob and TTG respectively. We get it, so why do you feel like you must ram these talking points down our throats in every video? There's people like Vailskibum94 making constant click-bait about Teen Titans Go! and Cartoon Network being worse than Hitler. Look, it's not that you aren't allowed to express your criticisms of these things, we just don't like you droning on about it every other video. In regards to schedules specifically, again, you have the right to complain about it. Here's the thing, complaining about it, won't make a damn difference. Cable as a format, is dying and these networks know this, and thus aren't interested in doing anything about it, as digital media is just more convenient and has more market potential now. Even if they didn't spam these shows, that's not going to make viewers come back in droves, when everyone prefers binge watching over not missing the newest Steven Universe at 8:00 PM sharp.

2. Gate Keeping Specific Types of Shows - I see this a lot among Steven Universe/Star/GF fans. Yes, something being for Kids still has the right to be a well written and entertaining show. However, that doesn't give you the right to dictate what Kids shows should or shouldn't be. This mentality stems from the fact that if a Cartoon isn't serialized, action-oriented, or doesn't have lots of Drama and "Progressive" themes. It's automatically pandering trash not worth watching. What Kind of elitist thinking is that? Good TV comes in all forms. Whether that be Silly, wacky comedy, or serialized drama. Same is true for bad TV as well. Somebody can make a heavily serialized, left-wing, drama cartoon that has all the right check marks, and it can still be shit. Kids deserve good TV yes, but they also deserve some meaningless goofy nonsense here and there as well. Kids aren't sheep that you need to bend to your will. They're human beings with thoughts and opinions just like us adults. It's important to let them decide what they think is a good show, not you. Also, it's okay if somebody doesn't like these shows either. Don't rain justice down on someone for having a different opinion.

3. Old Men Yelling at Clouds - Now we get to the category of the community that basically devolves into the grumpy old man attitude. It's been around in the community since its earliest days. The thinking of All or Most modern cartoons are trash and that back in my decade our shows were awesome just because they were old. Conveniently ignoring that there was just as much crap in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s as well. People with this are completely unaware of Sturgeons Law, 90 % of EVERYTHING is crap, regardless of decade or industry. In entertainment, especially Cartoons, that's definitely true. Yes, you've got a lot of regurgitated, SJW-filled, or just plain bad stuff coming out. But there's still good entertainment being made today that doesn't fall into these categories. Same for Cartoons, even if you ignore the Big 3, there's still some great stuff over on the Streaming Networks, and even some independent animation you can find on YouTube. Even the Big 3 still regularly put out great shows (well, more-so CN and Disney since Nick's been floundering for the past decade or so).

4. Complaining about "CalArts" style - Look, it's one thing to be tired of an art trend, I get it. It's another to blame that trend solely on a single college that they never went to. I get when people get sick of the current visual trends of cartoons today, I'm kind of tired of the "Noodle limbs and round shapes" aesthetic myself. But blaming it on a single college is reductive and completely stupid. I guess you don't remember, the rough, crudely drawn doodles of the mid-late 90s, or the sharp, thick-outlines and anime aesthetics that paraded in the 2000s. The current "CalArts" style is just another design trend that'll pass with time, nothing more, nothing less. What's worse is when people start injecting their political views into it, calling the style "Cucked" and "SJW-fied". I love making fun of leftists and SJW's as much as the next guy, but this is kind of pushing it. Just say you don't like the style and leave the politics out of it, kay?

Those are my thoughts on the "Cartoon Community" on YouTube and the internet. Not sure how many on modern GAF care about it, but as someone who likes animation and cartoons, I figured to share my grievances here.

brap

Banned
I fucking hate them. Every time I see some cartoon review thing on youtube they're complaining about something like how Ren & Stimpy is gross and has no morals. I guess that would fall under your first point. And a lot of the times I see these videos the guys either have a lisp or seem kinda... slow. They're honestly pretty worthless interchangeable channels.

4. is a genuine complaint though. Calarts looks like dogshit and it's such low effort. It's like the modern version of ugly canadian flash bs from the 2000s.
1537203173702-Screen-Shot-2018-09-17-at-94808-AM.png

no this is not photoshopped there really was a one off 6teen ep about trump and politics.
god i love 6teen

Jubenhimer

4. is a genuine complaint though. Calarts looks like dogshit and it's such low effort. It's like the modern version of ugly canadian flash bs from the 2000s.

It's fine to not like an Art Style, But I think its unfair to blame it on a single School. It's just a modern design trend that for many, has overstayed its welcome, CalAarts or not. Shows like PPG came from CalArts people, and they don't look like the current CalArts style.

brap

Banned
It's fine to not like an Art Style, But I think its unfair to blame it on a single School. It's just a modern design trend that for many, has overstayed its welcome, CalAarts or not. Shows like PPG came from CalArts people, and they don't look like the current CalArts style.
I just see it as the name of the style now lol. Not like anybody else has a better name for it.

BunzLee

I don't know why I'm even surprised that there is something they would call the "Cartoons community". That said, this sounds like it's a problem that most these communities have. They're in an echochamber and making content on either end of the argument is more likely to give you views due to the controversial nature of the content. Every key argument you've made could probably be applied to most communities in way or another.

Speaking of it, though, what's the deal with all the Twitch channels showing cartoons lately?

Antoon

Banned
Wow, actual cartoon people on Neogaf ?! I am not alone.

Cant really go into details right now, but I do have opinions on the community as a whole. Its mostly made of SJW types on Youtube, but I see some honest channels recently, before it was only RebelTaxi who was a bit more open abotu his actual thoughts instead of saying whatever the dumb fans want to hear.

I like EZ PZ (the SU fanbase particularly wants to murder him)

This guy does some in depth look, he tends to do things that others dont review

MarsReviews made an interesting look at other cartoon channels

Then there are some shills who try to ride other channels like this one

And sure, this community is pretty much just like any other commentary group, who focus mostly on critique. But its also lots of analysis, and an objective look, as some channels go into the tiniest things that others may find useless, while others are intrigued, as if looking at an artwork,

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
It's fine to not like an Art Style, But I think its unfair to blame it on a single School.

It just became the shorthand for the style itself, it's not like people are actually mad at the school or completely attribute the look to it. It just needed a name.

Doom85

I like the art style of Young Justice. Does that count as a cartoon or not?

xnlpozh.jpg

Definitely a cartoon series. Not only up there among the best cartoons of this decade in my book, but easily among my favorite superhero cartoons ever as well (would rank only Batman TAS and maybe Justice League/JLU over it). I still need to see Season 3 though.

Pagusas

Elden Member
All I can ever envision with type of people is the comic book guy from Simpson’s. I can’t imagine anyone wants to be that guys, yet somehow people still end up being him.

Shaqazooloo

I'm subscribed to Mr. Enter (I think he considers himself part of the community) I think he's alright, but I do have the same complaints expressed in the OP with the community. They seem very toxic
Aren’t they the ones that don’t like anything and always complaining?
No, that's every community on the internet.

lock2k

Banned
I'm deep diving into cartoons again lately, largely to a great influence by my daughter. I forgot how much I liked cartoons over the years and they have been a breath of fresh air to me lately. Will read carefully and comment later on the OP subjects.

kunonabi

I pretty much ignore western cartoons and the cartoon community and western since cartoons have become so shitty and political and the fanbases and media are freaking nuts now. I am slightly interested in giving the new ducktales a shot though since I havent heard of any political garbage involved in it and I saw a bit of it that looked pretty good.

Jubenhimer

I pretty much ignore western cartoons and the cartoon community and western since cartoons have become so shitty and political and the fanbases and media are freaking nuts now. I am slightly interested in giving the new ducktales a shot though since I havent heard of any political garbage involved in it and I saw a bit of it that looked pretty good.

There are still good Cartoons that aren't overly political TBH. I simply view the current SJW pandering in media to be a yet another trend that, much like most, will pass with time as more and more people move on to something else.

I don't like fanbases that cry over shipping/personal politics or gender stuff when it's just a fucking cartoon. Same thing when people lose their shit over My Hero Academia or any Japanese show that has a huge mainstream following. 99% of the time, the show is just something to entertain kids and not to overthrow the patriarchy.

lock2k

Banned
I don't like fanbases that cry over shipping/personal politics or gender stuff when it's just a fucking cartoon. Same thing when people lose their shit over My Hero Academia or any Japanese show that has a huge mainstream following. 99% of the time, the show is just something to entertain kids and not to overthrow the patriarchy.

I fully agree with you. Bunch of imbeciles. I just enjoy cartoons for whatever they are.

Jubenhimer

Which cartoons have too much political pandering nowadays? I watch a lot of them but I'm not seeing much of this. Maybe I'm not perceiving it correctly.

Most of what I watch I consider as nonsense.

I think it only seems that way because some of the most talked about ones (SU and NuPPG) particularly come across as very left-leaning in terms of themes and messages (Pro-LGBT, Nearly all Women, most Males are feminine, Thick-build characters are prominent). The fanbase of some of these shows doesn't help the perception either. But there's also shows that don't try to evoke an overt political message, and are just fun for kids and adults such as OK KO, Loud House, Craig of the Creek, Big City Greens, among others. It's simply a matter of only finding the bad and not looking at the good.

True, a lot of entertianment these days is trying to be "woke" and "progressive", But many of them also perform below expectations as well. So it's a sign that the SJW types these works are trying to pander to are mostly a minority.

lock2k

Banned
I think it only seems that way because some of the most talked about ones (SU and NuPPG) particularly come across as very left-leaning in terms of themes and messages (Pro-LGBT, Nearly all Women, most Males are feminine, Thick-build characters are prominent). The fanbase of some of these shows doesn't help the perception either. But there's also shows that don't try to evoke an overt political message, and are just fun for kids and adults such as OK KO, Loud House, Craig of the Creek, Big City Greens, among others. It's simply a matter of only finding the bad and not looking at the good.

True, a lot of entertianment these days is trying to be "woke" and "progressive", But many of them also perform below expectations as well. So it's a sign that the SJW types these works are trying to pander to are mostly a minority.

Very good and informative post.

I never really watched most of Steven Universe and I prefer the old PPG. I really enjoy OK KO and Craig of the Creek though.

I also like Star, We Bare Bears and Apple & Onion.

Whitesnake

Banned
They’re all autistic as shit, their videos suck, and each one has a cringey way of speaking.

Except RebelTaxi. He’s autistic as shit and has a cringey way of speaking, but his videos are the least shit.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Cartoons will always have their block on TV, these troll fans might as well be ghosts, they don't hinder the loyal, casual or hardcore fans.

Top Bottom