• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on the Smash Bros series?

Fox the Sly

I never really got into Smash Bros. I think partially because I rarely had anyone over to play with, and also I never took time to learn how the game works.

My personal feelings on the series is that while I recognize that they're really well made games and I love the fan-service, I've just never been able to get into it like I wanted.Something about platform fighting, I think. For fighting games, my brain only works on a level plane for some reason, lol. I don't hate playing it, but I've never been able to get over the hump where I'm really enjoying myself or playing as well as I would like. (I'm a Virtua Fighter guy - where o' where is VF6? :messenger_loudly_crying:)

Varteras

Gold Member
A blast to play, despite balance issues, and a clear example of Nintendo's strength in knowing how to utilize its IP for a range of genres.

93xfan

Banned
Originally got into the game due to the music, but ended up loving the fighting mechanics.

Played a ton of brawl and was so happy to see every real stage from it returning.

Ultimate is certainly my favorite. So happy with the amount of content and the music selection. Also, Belmont, and the added FF7 music really made this a winner for me.

levyjl1988

Banned
I miss Adventure mode in Super Smash Bros Melee. You had out-of-place scenarios of Link, Samus, and Pikachu for example going through the Mushroom Kingdom and other backgrounds not typically reserved for these characters.
I want to see more of that interaction. It feels very Marvel Avengers-esque. That's the best thing about Smash Bros, just the wacky combinations that you would typically never expect and it is all Official. Never would I thought Banjo Kazooie and Sonic be in the same cutscene as Sephiroth.
It feels like my childhood all coalescing into one. Like having different action figures from different genres interact with each other.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Smash Bros 64 - I like the tone of the game. But in 2022 there is very little reason to play it.

Melee - A revelation when it came out. However, there is a high degree of jank in it. The game is WAY too fast to the point the animations look weird. Cast additions were fantastic though, as are the stages.

Brawl - Almost over-compensates for Melee's issues. Tripping is dumb as well. However, it added mah boi Lucas to the series so I'm eternally grateful. Subspace Emissary was neat but way too long and the stages should have been themed around actual games instead of generic forest / cave / temple.

Smash 4 3DS: I loved the fuck out of this. Handheld Smash? Yes please. I think Smash Run was pretty sick and I'm sad it wasn't brought back in Smash Ultimate in some capacity.

Smash 4 Wii U: I'll be honest, I played more Smash 4 3DS than I did Smash 4 Wii U. I didn't own a Wii U, so I only really played it with my friends. Adding Cloud to Smash was mindblowing, though only have 2 songs was an insult. Some really fun stages, like that Star Fox stage which was basically a mission from a star fox game. Smash Party or whatever it was called was lame.

Smash Ultimate: ALMOST a perfect game. Story Mode was again too long, and tbh I would have preferred something more like Subspace Emmisary, but it was neat to have none-the-less. Spirits are whatever to me, but okay whatever. But the gameplay is bar-none the best in the franchise and I still love playing this game to this day. Plus they added Hero from Dragon Quest, which is something I've always wanted and am thrilled they actually made it in. Erdrick FTW. Plus they corrected the lack of FF music with the addition of Sephiroth. The DLC almost had a few too many 3rd Party characters, but tbh I'm not sure which Nintendo First parties are left at this point.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've only played this on Switch with my bro's kids. I enjoy playing them even though I have no idea what I'm doing mashing buttons and praying to jump and cling back on a ledge. Nobody really knows what the fuck they are doing whereas if we played old school SF HD Remix everyone plays the fighting game much more standard and cerebral as a one on one fighting game.

Its amazing how many characters and background stages there in the game.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Count me among those who never much cared for it. I've played my share of it though because the kids liked the games at one point or another, but yeah not the kind of game I would seek out on my own. The whole getting knocked out/falling off ledges thing never clicked with me.

64 - Very dated. Mildly fun in a casual setting.

Melee - Very fun and fluid but unbalanced also there's no built-in online. Incredibly fun to play with friends.

Brawl - Probably the most interesting smash game for various reasons like having a more realistic art style and the story mode. Also personally very nostalgic for me. It lacks in the gameplay department however and the online is so bad it might as well not be there. Good for parties.

Smash 4 - It's ok but heavily dated by ultimate. It fares better compared to the previous three games as it is the first with a competent in built online mode, has a much higher roster and is more balanced and refined gameplay wise. Also smash run was the bomb, taking it out in ultimate was the stupidest decision ever.

Ultimate - The best smash game imo. It's like smash 4 but on steroids. The gameplay is much much better than smash 4 however and arguably melee as well. Theres many QoL changes that make it a better experience other than that like quickplay battles, how lobbies function. Also little things like zoom in for finishing blows, little tweaks to animations to make them look more stylish, etc. Also the fact that it has all of the fighters from previous games plus new fighters such as Sephiroth(my all time favourite), Byleth, King K Rool and various others. It's going to be hard to top ultimate.
I played smash 4 competitively online tje game was nearly perfect to me and was what really got my smash addiction going ultímate is step down that feels like a clunky fan game with any official coat of paint

I don't think more characters would make a difference. Besides their games have became far more cinematic and serious tonally over the past 10 years, I doubt the crowd who buys say "The Last of Us" or "Days Gone" is going to care much for an arcadey 2D platform fighter game similar to smash bros.
Abby could work though.

Count me among those who never much cared for it. I've played my share of it though because the kids liked the games at one point or another, but yeah not the kind of game I would seek out on my own. The whole getting knocked out/falling off ledges thing never clicked with me.
I like the free form movement the games give both for dodging and trailing combos that isn’t a thing in other fighting games which are more rigid. I think these games are at their best when hazards are off on platform stages

Top Bottom