• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Can we please cease the constant "I hope console manufacturer picks up this IP."?

It entails platform exclusivity, which means that other players are unable to play the game in question. It's against your own interests as a consumer, unless you have stock in that particular company. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft should never be wished for, unless the IP in question has no other chance of being picked up (e.g. Bayonetta 2)

I'm most interested in seeing where Vigil and the Darksiders IP end up. Everything else from THQ is a pass for me, except for South Park, but I'm pretty sure that's guaranteed to come out soon at this point anyway so it doesn't really matter.

If Nintendo is going to buy any THQ IP, I'd guess de Blob since the original was a Wii exclusive.

apana

So, here's my guess:

Sony will buy:
- Warhammer
- Metro

MS will buy:
- Red Faction
- Saints Row
- South Park

EA will buy:
- WWE
- Company of Heroes
- SpongeBob

Nintendo will buy:
- uDraw
- de Blob

and the studios, well MS needs them the most, I'll just say that...

Microsoft would definitely be looking at buying Saints Row for the right price. That's the issue though, the price at which companies would be willing to jump in would be very low. Nintendo bought Retro and Monolith Soft at an extreme bargain apparently. Microsoft got burned badly by Rare. Stamper Bros and Nintendo got a lot of money for selling them junk and now Microsoft is rightly far more skeptical.

THQ net income since 1990 (founded by LJN co-founder in April 1990).

thq.PNG

Pociask

Can we please cease the constant "I hope console manufacturer picks up this IP."?

It entails platform exclusivity, which means that other players are unable to play the game in question. It's against your own interests as a consumer, unless you have stock in that particular company. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft should never be wished for, unless the IP in question has no other chance of being picked up (e.g. Bayonetta 2)

I'm not sure it's anti-consumer interest. A platform holder has a vested interest in seeing its studios succeed, and in putting money into a studio. If a single release is a dud, then the platform holder may still see value for the platform in keeping the studio around to release a sequel. Meanwhile, a large third-party publisher, like EA, may just cut its losses and kill the studio.

Also, I question pro-consumer meaning "available on every platform." What's more pro-consumer, a game being stretched across multiple platforms and suffering for every dollar being put into porting, or a game being fully backed by a platform holder and reaching its peak potential, because the studio is entirely dedicated to that one platform?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did you happen to miss the global recession that began at the end of 2008 and was at its worse throughout all of 2009?

Well the biggest thing that caused was the death of the retail licensed games market and consumers deciding instead to primarily buy AAAA blockbusters:

Trends Affecting Our Business

- General Economic Conditions.
- Increasing Concentration in Top Titles and Higher Development Costs.
- Shift in Kids Preferences.

qKaC3K

Microsoft -> Homefront 2 (Crytek)

Homefront sold extremely well considering that it was a new shooter IP. (~3m)
Microsoft doesn't have a modern day military shooter in their 1st party lineup.
Microsoft already have a working relationship with Crytek. (RYSE + Engine Licenses)

Microsoft knows that Crytek can deliver a 85+ shooter given their track record.

Microsoft would get an estabilished IP while Crytek could keep working on the title relatively undisturbed.

Microsoft -> Homefront 2 (Crytek)

Homefront sold extremely well considering that it was a new shooter IP. (~3m)
Microsoft doesn't have a modern day military shooter in their 1st party lineup.
Microsoft already have a working relationship with Crytek. (RYSE + Engine Licenses)

Microsoft knows that Crytek can deliver a 85+ shooter given their track record.

Microsoft would get an estabilished IP while Crytek could keep working on the title relatively undisturbed.

Homefront is alreading coming to a their platform... also what engine license? Microsoft has nothing under production on crysis 3 engine as far as I know. Except for Ryse but that's not an engine license since the licensee would be crytek themselves.

Baki

It's been a bit since I looked at the bidding process sheet, but:

Clearlake is offering $60 million. The individual bids need to add up to more than $60.5 million or I think Clearlake instantly wins. That might have been lowered to $50 million given that they took away the $10 million note to creditors. To note, this is an incredibly low sum so it won't be hard.

Can company's collude to make sure that their overall sum surpasses Clearlake offer?

qKaC3K

Homefront is alreading coming to a their platform... also what engine license? Microsoft has nothing under production on crysis 3 engine as far as I know. Except for Ryse but that's not an engine license since the licensee would be crytek themselves.

They have a few. There are even released ones like the Nike+ Kinect game.

FStop7

Banned
I kind of figured that South Park game wasn't as safe as everyone made it out to be but I'm surprised about Relic.

I hope Volition survives.

Oh, and if the South Park project does die then I hope it doesn't hurt Obsidian too badly... that would be unfortunate. Project Eternity and all.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
And the source listing where the information is coming from.

Dominic Tarason ‏@dominictarason

@mmmfutter @PeterSkerritt Second-hand info from someone watching the THQ Investors forums. Still unconfirmed, but it rings true so far.

Pooya

However, it would be a very unfortunate statement on the industry if no one bid for the studio that made the highest rated RTS of all time.

current relic is quite different than that relic that made CoH or Homeworld imo, largely different staff.

CoH2 in particular has a pretty horrid UI >.< not sure about the game yet.

still a good studio but far from their golden days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom