• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three in February 2018: Shadow of the Backlogussus

Andyliini

Do you nearly finish games, but then stop for no reason? Are there games you mean to play but don't get around to?

The challenge is to complete three (or more) games this month.

It doesn't matter how long or short the games are, or if you're near the end already. If it's unclear if something counts as a finished game, you should go with your own judgment. There aren't any hard rules.

Please post the games you hope to finish, but also share your successes, setbacks and impressions. :)

Helpful Sites
How Long to Beat to find out roughly how long a game takes to finish
The Backloggery to keep track of those games you'll never play.

Best of luck to everyone!

Credit for the OP and challenge goes to Aarglefarg, who originally ran this challenge.

Here are my games:

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
I have already beaten over half of the game, so it won't be long now until this one's done. Maybe a week.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
These games don't take too much time to beat, so I'll tackle this one after SMT. This was originally going to be the last 3DS game I'll play for now, but I just have to check out Detective Pikachu later in March. Hopefully I'll find something else to play meanwhile.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
This could be a strecth, as I'm some level of completionist, but the game is super fun to play, and I try to play it daily as much as I can. Hopefully, February blesses me with enough hours to beat it.

prag16

Banned
Man, I really have to get around to finishing Horizon Zero Dawn (DONE). I got through probably 60% of it before Mass Effect Andromeda came out. I trudged through probably another 10% since then. Need to just power through. Hoping to finish two other games aside from that is probably too ambitious. But I do have What Remains of Edith Finch sitting half finished. I also started Heavy Rain (PS4 version); was going to (re)play through that and Beyond Two Souls before Detroit drops. It's fun to set goals. We'll see. EDIT: Also picked up SotC which will probably jump ahead of some of these.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Finished Another World 20th anniversary edition on Xbox today. Haven’t played this since the Amiga days and I don’t think I ever finished it then. Even though it was short, some of the sections gave me joypad rage so much so I think I’ve broken the A button on my pad. Silly me.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Currently 108 hours in and enjoying it immensely. Although, the micro-management stuff with blades is starting to wear thin.

Picross S: I love these games! Great title to pick up and play when you’ve only got a spare 20 minutes or are watching tv. Currently wrapping up the “no assist” Mega Picross puzzles and I’ll be done. *FINISHED*

Shovel Knight: Bought this as soon as it released here in Oz (what a delay that was!), but stopped playing due to other games and things. Picked it up again recently and hoping to give it a good wack this time.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I'm playing DBZ and Persona 5 so I really don't think I'm getting anything finished this month but here goes:

[PSTV]Collar X Malice - pending
[PS4]Grand Kingdom - pending
[PS4]The Silver Case - pending

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm playing through entire God of War series and I already finished the first one and currently playing through God of War II.

prag16

Banned
Man, I really have to get around to finishing Horizon Zero Dawn. I got through probably 60% of it before Mass Effect Andromeda came out. I trudged through probably another 10% since then. Need to just power through. Hoping to finish two other games aside from that is probably too ambitious. But I do have What Remains of Edith Finch sitting half finished. I also tarted Heavy Rain (PS4 version); was going to (re)play through that and Beyond Two Souls before Detroit drops. It's fun to set goals. We'll see.
Worked on Horizon today. And stupidly preordered SotC too. As if I don't have enough to play (with no time to play).

marcincz

3DS
Metroid:Samus Returns

PS4
Matterfall

PSV
Broken Age
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2

SMD
Mega-Lo-Mania

XBO
Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Last edited:
Only finished 2 in jan, aiming for 3 or 4 this month.

Lords of the Fallen (PS4, ~31hrs)
Sure it's not quite Dark Souls and I ran into quite a few minor performance problems but overall I enjoyed this quite a bit. Well worth checking out if you like challenging melee-focused rpgs and you don't mind some jank

Currently playing Okami HD. Not sure what the third will be yet

Last edited:

marcincz

3DS

PS4
Matterfall

PSV
Broken Age

SMD
Mega-Lo-Mania

XBO

Last edited:

marcincz

3DS

PS4
Matterfall

PSV
Broken Age

SMD
Mega-Lo-Mania

XBO

SpiceRacz

Finished Demons Souls. I don't think it's as good or memorable as Dark Souls. There's also some questionable design in this one. Going back, I can see where they improved between the two games.

Currently playing DKC2 Diddy's Kong Quest. I've probably owned this game 4 or 5 times, but have never really played it. I'm nearly finished and I have to say it's very deserving of the hype. It surpasses Yoshi's Island & SMW in a lot of ways.

Moving on to either Secret of Mana or DKC3 next.

marcincz

Finished Matterfall, yesterday. Final boss fight took me 3 hours. Toughest boss in my gaming carrer.

3DS

PS4
Matterfall

PSV
Broken Age

SMD
Mega-Lo-Mania

XBO

llien

I wouldn't call it "for no reason" and here is my list:

Obduction (PC)
AAnVRBm.png

I am among the backers, was very excited about it, but... have yet to installit.
Not having a powerful enough PC (curse you, miners and meh at you, Raja) is one of the other reasons for it.

Dreamfall Chapters (PC)
HoU1XSG.png

Game is terribly optimized, didn't go well on 280x (for whatever reason), waiting for a new GPU.

The Last Of Us (PS3)
HJNJCuW.png

I felt annoyed with this game at times on "you can jump over this, but not over that" points, but the worse part is a zombie that throws stuff at me and kills me within seconds after re-load. After couple of dozens of deaths I gave up and have yet to find power to finish it.

Heavy Rain (PS3)
95iWBMF.png

Started it at least 3 times, then...

Dragon's Crown (Vita)
EbJRFKX.png

Waiting for when I'm on vacation again

Andyliini

Here are my games:

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
I have already beaten over half of the game, so it won't be long now until this one's done. Maybe a week.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
These games don't take too much time to beat, so I'll tackle this one after SMT. This was originally going to be the last 3DS game I'll play for now, but I just have to check out Detective Pikachu later in March. Hopefully I'll find something else to play meanwhile.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
This could be a strecth, as I'm some level of completionist, but the game is super fun to play, and I try to play it daily as much as I can. Hopefully, February blesses me with enough hours to beat it.

Just beat the last game of this trio, Phoenix Wright. That means I achieved my goal this month. I'll post the thread for next month's challenge in a few days again.

prag16

Banned
I wouldn't call it "for no reason" and here is my list:

Obduction (PC)
AAnVRBm.png

I am among the backers, was very excited about it, but... have yet to installit.
Not having a powerful enough PC (curse you, miners and meh at you, Raja) is one of the other reasons for it.

Dreamfall Chapters (PC)
HoU1XSG.png

Game is terribly optimized, didn't go well on 280x (for whatever reason), waiting for a new GPU.

The Last Of Us (PS3)
HJNJCuW.png

I felt annoyed with this game at times on "you can jump over this, but not over that" points, but the worse part is a zombie that throws stuff at me and kills me within seconds after re-load. After couple of dozens of deaths I gave up and have yet to find power to finish it.

Heavy Rain (PS3)
95iWBMF.png

Started it at least 3 times, then...

Dragon's Crown (Vita)
EbJRFKX.png

Waiting for when I'm on vacation again
Obduction is really good. I really need to go back and finish it. I got stuck on a puzzle somewhere between the 80-90% mark. Not even horribly stuck; probably coulda done it with a bit more effort, but took a break for a few days.... and a few days became well over a year haha. I was gonna try for a Heavy Rain replay this month but stalled out about 1/4 of the way through. Similarly stalled out 1/4 way through Shadow of the Colossus too. Need to really buckle down... Too late for February, but March, it's on. Maybe.

Pentapolis

After a barren January, I've (sort of - one's a bit of a fudge!) managed to finish three this month

Prey - What a wonderful game; if I'd known I was going to enjoy it that much I'd have bought it on release instead of in a winter sale. Yes, the combat is nothing special, but I don't play these sort of games for that anyway - the freedom to explore and experience the game world in multiple ways triggered happy memories of Deus Ex and System Shock 2.

Tacoma - For some reason, after finishing Prey I went a played another game set on a space station... Obviously a very different type of game, but it was a worthwhile experience. I just wished it lasted a bit longer. I even went back after finishing to mop up a few achievements, which is something I'd never usually bother doing, just so I could spend a bit more time in that place.

CIV6, Rise and Fall - Here's the fudge; I finished one run through CIV6 with the new expansion - A religious victory with the Australians. The expansion is OK, adds a few nice features, but fundamentally I don't enjoy the Civ experience as much as I used to for some reason. I doubt Firaxis would ever do anything too radical with it, but perhaps it's time to shake it up. Real time with pause like Paradox games maybe? 4X crossed with RPG like the Endless games?

Anyway, bring on March, will see if I can keep up the 3-a-month pace...

kunonabi

Ended up beating Persona 5 but I'm still going to be working on 100%ing it for probably another week. Great game, certainly better than the last 2, even if the ending dragged a bit and the big true evil was just as boring as it always is in these new Persona titles.

BurstZyn

In this Month of February I have completed:
Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition: This game is awesome, among this kind of 'genre' I would say it's a close second to Yakuza. While the story had some weird pacing in certain areas, I loved it. I'll need to go back to it sometime to complete everything else and the DLC.
Hue: Clever lil puzzle platformer, and can really make you think in certain areas. Story is fine, but nothing exciting, still enjoyable though.
Absolver: Pre-order this and played it for a bit when it first came out. Finally completed it along with my brother, I gotta say this game feels good. Landing combos, parries, everything else. Story feels pretty second thought, but I'm sure the developers said as much, so not to much to complain.
And to finish up February I just got to the 'Final' level of
Dr.Mario: I quote final level just because looking it up, alot of people say that the game just repeats itself after level 24, so I reached 26 until I lost and enjoyed what I played. Had to play on Low Speed, because of my cow like reflexes

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Currently 108 hours in and enjoying it immensely. Although, the micro-management stuff with blades is starting to wear thin.

Picross S: I love these games! Great title to pick up and play when you’ve only got a spare 20 minutes or are watching tv. Currently wrapping up the “no assist” Mega Picross puzzles and I’ll be done. *FINISHED*

Shovel Knight: Bought this as soon as it released here in Oz (what a delay that was!), but stopped playing due to other games and things. Picked it up again recently and hoping to give it a good wack this time.
I would have finished Xenoblade 2 as well, but that game...I need to max out everyone’s affinitys...I can’t help myself. I didn’t get back to Shovel Knight unfortunately.

emm_vee

Neo Member
February 2018

Battlefield Hardline (PS4): Good mechanics, decent story if not a bit farfetched. Gonna give multiplayer a go.

TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES): Because it's masterful, I wanted to get close to 3 games, and I couldn't beat American McGee's Alice in time.

Top Bottom