• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three person babies approved in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

azyless

That's great. I had a class on this last year at uni. We even had an hilarious mock debate about it, I can't wait to see actual politicians bring up the same ridiculous conservative points we made.

PSqueak

Banned
I think y'all are looking at the designer babies problem from the wrong angle, y'all are thinking "but its against god" anti science angles, but the real worry about designer babies, what happens when the entities making Designer Babies possible, be it doctors, hospitals or corporations, begin to claim they have a degree of legal ownership over the baby?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'd like a designer baby
9pBwD29.jpg

kswiston

what happens when the entities making Designer Babies possible, be it doctors, hospitals or corporations, begin to claim they have a degree of legal ownership over the baby?

Kids at school make fun of you for being poor because you are the LG model instead of the Apple model.

TheMan

I won't stand in the way of technological progress, but sometimes I wonder if people should stop being so vain and just adopt. The world doesn't need you to have kids, there are plenty that need a home.

But it's against gawd.

I don't know, historically I feel like God's been pretty into babies.
That sounded better in my head...
but seriously, I feel like this is a sticky "debate" because what's the argument--"Yep, we sure do want those kids to die"?

kswiston

How exactly did they figure this out? That midochondria was a separate life form?

Perhaps a tad technical if you have zero science education, but wikipedia is good for summaries on scientific theories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiogenesis

Eukaryotes are plants, animals, and fungi. All three kingdoms have cells with membrane-bound organelles like mitochondria or chloroplasts (in plants to allow them to photosynthesize). Bacteria and other early forms of life are prokaryotes. They do not have organelles, and are typically much smaller and less complex. Mitochondria have a lot of features in common with prokaryotes.

EDIT:

Here's a TED-ed video on the subject that doesn't require prior science knowledge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i7kAt97XYU

I have a feeling designer babies will be the go-to for the rich and celebs.

It will be kinda like that have and have-nots in films like Elysium.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I won't stand in the way of technological progress, but sometimes I wonder if people should stop being so vain and just adopt. The world doesn't need you to have kids, there are plenty that need a home.

Hear hear.

Alienfan

I'm still not wholely convinced designer babies are 100% a bad idea. The practical uses for this procedure, involve something as helpful as preventing genetic life changing disease, to something as minor as choosing your child's eye colour

This is all great stuff. As a living, breathing product of this field of study (Well, the most advanced IVF the late 80s had, at least), I'm all in favor of whatever can be done to help parents and kids be healthy.

Air

Banned
They're not splicing in new vectors or anything. I see nothing wrong with this. It's a microorganism transplant.

Put this way, I can see the appeal. I'm always hesitant when it comes to the idea of designer babies though. This should be limited to only issues concerning ones health I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom