• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER |OT| THE BEETLE'S ROCK BAND - HIGHWAY TO HELL!

ViciousDS

Banned
Completely S ranked 1-4 on the Xbox ranked top 5 ATM for 3 and 4.

The dude who has over a million points at number 1 must know some trick or exploit that I am unaware on because holy hell.

This game is so infuriating and fun at the same time. I can definitely only take small bursts of it before I start to screw up on easy parts.

Zeroro

Completely S ranked 1-4 on the Xbox ranked top 5 ATM for 3 and 4.

The dude who has over a million points at number 1 must know some trick or exploit that I am unaware on because holy hell.

This game is so infuriating and fun at the same time. I can definitely only take small bursts of it before I start to screw up on easy parts.

Managed to get the platinum trophy on PS4, and it gets insanely fun once you're actively trying to maximize the amount of points you can get from note to note, especially when it becomes a thing you can do almost without even having to think about it. I ended up doing that more often than not towards the end of the S-ranking journey.

This game was absolutely 2016's GOTY. Haven't touched it since January, but I wanna go through and S-rank the entire thing all over again at some point.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Had my first session in VR and that took me to the start of level 5. The level 4 boss took me a long time to figure out, especially phase 3 and 4. In the end remembering and tapping to the beats is the biggest help.

I will say though that some new gimmicks are not explained or shown that well, like the 'thump' after flying mechanic. I even thought for a while you had to push the analog stick. The same happened at the beginning of 5-1 with the laser drone, I had no idea why I was getting blasted. Turns out it's a 'one miss = death' machine. I decided to call it a day for now there.

So how does the protection from bars work? If you touch a beat and hold the button, does this protect you even from the small bars from hell that appear in ch4? Those appeared to damage me no matter what.

Beat this game last night. What an experience, but the majority of the time it didn't feel like there was any actual rhythm. Would love to try this in VR, but I don't have a VR headset. Maybe Superhot will make me grab one, depending on how good that game is.

EDIT: Also, I think the whole horror thing is way overstated. The visuals are weird and abstract, but the game isn't scary, just really intense.

Lakuza

Just beat this today in VR (on oculus rift), was playing one stage per day as i didn't want to rush it. It felt like it was built for vr, can't imagine playing without it.

The game was overwhelming in a good way. For me it felt like sci-fi horror, but not the kind of horror you get frightened from, instead it was more despair and feeling of hopelessness in the face of something far greater and beyond our understanding. Or another way to put how it felt was imagine mankind discovering a race so far beyond our understanding that we feel both hopeless and admiration at the same time, like a moth enchanted by light only that we know that light is gonna burn us once we touch it XD

The last 2 levels in the final stage were really cool too, almost felt like we were reseting the clock of the universe to stop it from imploding on itself.

Yeah I'll stop here I think. Loved the game :D

Got this on switch and absolutely love it!

I have a question though - can I exit a stage and resume where I was at? I want to calm down and play rabbids a bit but don't want to lose my progress as I'm nearly at the end of 4.

Mathieran

Banned
I'm currently playing this on PSVR, just finished level 5. I thought the first 3 levels were kinda too easy but it got more challenging starting with level 4. Neat game, I can only do about one level in a sitting.

I tried it on the regular screen and it felt totally different though, and I was really bad. Kind of weird that it makes such a difference.

I was hoping for greater variety in visuals and music though, it's been a tad disappointing. But the sense of speed is pretty good.

Roubjon

I bought this from the current PSN sale going on and it's pretty rad. I read through the thread to figure out how the scoring works, and now that I get it I'm looking forward to playing it some more. I definitely will be doing some high-score chasing.

I wish I had PSVR so I could test the VR mode. Everyone says it's amazing.

Top Bottom