• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thunderforce VI (PS2) - Sega's grace has brought us all hope

kazuo

Is Hyakutaro Tsukumo doing the soundtrack? If he's not I might seriously pass on this... his music is a large part of what made TFV rape everyone's face.

Teknoman

duckroll said:
Stage 2's boss Flame Maiden is a fire version of TFV's Iron Maiden boss.

sanda004.jpg

I wonder if they'll have Deep Purple show up as well?

And yes i'd like it on PSN as well, just for the simple fact that I have no way of playing import PS2 titles and TFVI might not make it to North America.

Also please have crazy boss appearances like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq1Xlsp9d-4&feature=related

Hoping Konami finally reveals Gradius VI for the PS3...it was listed awhile back

Tain said:
Off the top of my head...

Domestic releases:

Gradius III + IV
Gradius V
Castle of Shikigami 2
Raiden III

Import only:

DoDonPachi Daioujou
Espgaluda (best game of the generation)
Mushihimesama
Ibara
Homura
Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol 1: Strikers 1945 I & II (II!)
Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol 2: Sengoku Ace and Sengoku Blade (Blade being the one worthwhile)
Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol 3: Sol Divide and Dragon Blaze (Dragon Blaze!)

Really, PS2s can be pretty easy to mod these days. I used to use a Japanese PS2 for all my imports, but when it came time to only take one of the PS2s to school, I modded the US one and didn't look back.

Oneself said:
Silpheed
R-Type Final
"Mobile Light Force 2" (Castle Shikigami)

Also, Taito Legends 2 is a must. There's Darius Gaiden, Ray Storm, Metal Black, G Darius and Kiki KaiKai.

(Silpheed: The Lost Planet, that is. It's not as popular as its Sega CD predecessor, I think, but I haven't played the PS2 game... Silpheed on Sega CD is great, though.)

Also, if Kiki Kaikai counts, then don't forget Heavenly Guardian. And yeah, Mobile Light Force is good, even if they completely removed the story... it's a shmup, story isn't important anyway. At least they kept the character names, I think, unlike "Mobile Light Force 1" for PS1, aka Gunbird with its story removed and its characters renamed to stupid stuff.

Midway Arcade Treasures 1 also has a few shmups, perhaps, depending on definition... do Defender, Defender II (Stargate), Sinistar, or Satan's Hollow count?

I'm sure the Namco Anthology stuff has some too...

I haven't yet registered my enthusiasm for this marvelous announcement in this thread.

YEE-FREAKING-HAW!!!!!!!!

There, I feel much better now. Gosh dang, Sega has been good to me. Thanks for the Wii light gun shooters, Samba De Amigo, subtitled Yakuza 2, and this. You mean so much to me Sega, thank you.

duckroll

Okay, this is pretty huge news. The director has updated his blog: http://zolge.sega.jp

He confirms that Thunderforce VI is the first in what he would like to call the "STG Project" and that the entire plan revolves around the revival of shooting games. He says there are two other projects after Thunderforce VI that are under wraps for now, and that a lot depends on the success of Thunderforce VI. He says it's all up to the fans that love shooting games to make the project a success.

So there, it's pretty much official that Sega is planning at least 3 shooting revival games, starting with Thunderforce VI, but depending on the success of TFVI, the other two (and even more?) might or might not ever see the light of day. :eek:

manzo

duckroll said:
Okay, this is pretty huge news. The director has updated his blog: http://zolge.sega.jp

He confirms that Thunderforce VI is the first in what he would like to call the "STG Project" and that the entire plan revolves around the revival of shooting games. He says there are two other projects after Thunderforce VI that are under wraps for now, and that a lot depends on the success of Thunderforce VI. He says it's all up to the fans that love shooting games to make the project a success.

So there, it's pretty much official that Sega is planning at least 3 shooting revival games, starting with Thunderforce VI, but depending on the success of TFVI, the other two (and even more?) might or might not ever see the light of day. :eek:

NICE!

Let's commence the wild guesses of what series they'll resurrect!

My want list: new Elemental Master and a new Battle Mania / Trouble Shooter game!

Edit: I was really afraid that this generation would kill the 2D/2.5D STG genre completely, but looks like this generation might actually surpass the PS2/Dreamcast generation should all these Cave ports and Sega resurrections actually deliver.

My God SEGA actually wants to revive the 2D shooter genre?
Just when I thought I had enough reason to hate them they pull a fast one on me.

SEGA should also put this game on PSN and they should price it at fuck you and have it released on get that shit out of here.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I still don't really buy that shooters are being revived. When did they die?

Anyway, I'm buying TF6 and all but I really dislike the scare-tactics bullshit when it comes to game sales. Capcom and Konami come immediately to mind with this, and it seems like their minds are already well made up before any actual data is acquired.

marwan said:
Sony needs to put this one up on the PSstore! (with trophies)
How come shit like this doesn't fall under 'speculative port talk'? There have been numerous dickheads shitting up this thread (and just about every other arcade/shooter thread on this forum) with requests for ports to the platform/dl service of their choice. Heads should roll for this sort of stuff, man. :(

dog$

Hates quality gaming
It's particularly tiresome in arcade fighter threads where every 15th post asks what consoles the game is going to be on, even though in most cases the game isn't even fucking out in Japanese arcades yet.

Really I find it insulting for 2D shooters that while being only 30 minutes to maybe an hour(which is arguably too long) in length feature more depth and polished gameplay than the bug-riddled 8-hour long cinematic crapfests this gen is becoming known for....yet somehow the 2D shooters are the ones asking to be stuck on download services because "hey they're just simple arcade games right?"

Vorador

Banned
duckroll said:

1215417303385.jpg

:D

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Really I find it insulting for 2D shooters that while being only 30 minutes to maybe an hour(which is arguably too long) in length feature more depth and polished gameplay than the bug-riddled 8-hour long cinematic crapfests this gen is becoming known for....yet somehow the 2D shooters are the ones asking to be stuck on download services because "hey they're just simple arcade games right?"
If I were gay, I'd totally want to marry you right now. Seriously, in every fucking 2D game thread there's always a call for that bullshit. Every freaking one.

And Sega respect up 1,000,000 points or so. I want Thunderforce VI to succeed more then water-burning cars at this point.

RyanDG

duckroll said:

I wonder if we should be looking at only Tecnosoft properties for potential 'revival' candidates or if Sega has more planned the licensed Tecnosoft releases...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
huh -- i noticed the 'stg project 001' inscription in a corner of tf6's webpage. i was wondering what that was about. a new hyper duel or blast wind would make my pants tighter. but i would imagine that this is more along the lines of reviving franchises that people have actually heard of. shit, i wonder if they could license r-type from irem

duckroll

drohne said:
shit, i wonder if they could license r-type from irem

Irem isn't out of business and they're still very comfortable with using the franchise for non-shooting stuff. I don't see why they would license the series to Sega. I think more Tecnosoft properties is a possibility, especially since most of them showed up on Sega systems anyway.

Tain

swoon.

I like this guy.

Sega's also got that Fantasy Zone engine transplant thing going on with the Sega Ages release coming up, too.

So I wonder what could be within their rights. Curious. I wonder what the chances of Psikyo or Raizing stuff would be, now that they're both kind of lost in that weird void where the IP rights are still clear as day but they don't make shooters anymore.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
tecnosoft shooting properties would make sense if tecnosoft's other shooting properties weren't

a. obscure
b. as much as it pains me to say this, frankly mediocre

It's entirely possible that these two games are entirely new and are not from existing franchises.

In fact I'm going to make a shot in the dark and proclaim that SEGA is interested in reviving the early 90s Genesis/SNES era of console 2D shooters(arguably when the sub-genre was at its peak)

-Note that I'm saying console 2D shooters. Sure there have been plenty of 2D shooter releases on consoles after the Genesis/SNES but by and large in terms of console-exclusives they have been very much barren.
-Considering that typically console ports of arcade shooters arrive much later(if at all) and are bought by a very niche few(mostly importers and the fans who haven't already moved on to sequels/newer games) it seems pretty obvious that SEGA has a very interesting market they could tap if they put forth the effort.

I <3 SoJ

I guess this is where the thread slides into rampant speculation on what might be revived...and I'm fine with that!

I wonder if he's going to be reviving shooters that were primarily on Sega consoles? And I wonder who has the rights to Toaplan's properties these days. Compile's old Aleste IPs certainly seem to be active, with old Alestes having been brought to VC and mobile platforms. Taito's older properties might be up for licensing, as they haven't done a damn thing with shooters - aside from Taito Legends 2 - since the rerelease of PS2 Ibara was canned.

IIRC, the girls from Battle Mania/Trouble Shooter showed up in that SGGG cutscene preceding the Thunder Force minigame. :eek:

neo2046

duckroll said:

new PANZER DRAGOON please !! :D

Oneself

A Black Falcon said:
(Silpheed: The Lost Planet, that is. It's not as popular as its Sega CD predecessor, I think, but I haven't played the PS2 game... Silpheed on Sega CD is great, though.)

Also, if Kiki Kaikai counts, then don't forget Heavenly Guardian.

Man, you need to play Silpheed on PS2, it's Treasure, it's awesome and it still looks good!
And I still don't dig Heavenly Guardian... I need to play more I guess. I miss Kiki Kaikai.

Trouble Shooter is awesome, I'd love to see another one of those... I hadn't heard of it before I got the cart for fifty cents (partially torn cover, too, so I couldn't tell the full name), but it's really good, and happens to actually have a bit of value... it's too bad the sequel never had a US release.

Oneself said:
Man, you need to play Silpheed on PS2, it's Treasure, it's awesome and it still looks good!
And I still don't dig Heavenly Guardian... I need to play more I guess. I miss Kiki Kaikai.

Silpheed's on my list, like a lot of stuff... haven't seen it in a while, though.

Same goes for Gradius V... I want that so much...

xabre

Banned
I've been playing a bit of Thunderforce V. The PSX 3D was really awful and the artistic look that the 2D TFIV had did not translate to V at all. The graphical continuity is just not there, although the game itself is pretty solid.

The great thing about TFVI from these PS2 screenshots is that it seems to carry some of the look of TFIV into the new game. That's good. Of course I'd prefer it if the whole thing was completely 2D (and why exactly can't it be anyway?) but what can you do? Definitely better than nothing.

ghibli99

I'm a bit worried that I'm seeing way too much that looks like past TFs (overwhelmingly TF3 and TF5). I hope there's more to this than remixed-in-newer-3D stages from past TFs.

Anyway, still very excited... and if buying one copy adds a 0.1% chance of more shooters, then that's definitely money well spent.

Edit: And I agree w/ you xabre about TF5's look. It's something I've learned to live with after the 2D awesomeness of TF3 and TF4. After those, I was so disappointed with TF5's look, but I had a great time playing it (and some of the music is just so freakin' awesome).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Silpheed PS2 generally isn't viewed favorably (to put it kindly), but I'm not very familiar with any game in that franchise myself.

A Black Falcon said:
Trouble Shooter is awesome, I'd love to see another one of those... I hadn't heard of it before I got the cart for fifty cents (partially torn cover, too, so I couldn't tell the full name), but it's really good, and happens to actually have a bit of value... it's too bad the sequel never had a US release.
Trouble Shooter Vintage / Battle Mania Daisomethingsomething did get a very comprehensive fan-translation, though. Even has a toggle between original Japanese, literal English translation (in which it follows Japanese continuity), and loose English interpretation (in which it follows US continuity). I think it was done by some guy/group called MIJET. Pretty sweet stuff.

RyanDG

Sixfortyfive said:
Silpheed PS2 generally isn't viewed favorably (to put it kindly), but I'm not very familiar with any game in that franchise myself.

It's not a great game by any means, but I enjoyed it enough. And plus, it's one of a rare handful of early PS2 games that have actually aged really well over the years...

I think the biggest problem a lot of people have with the game is the fact that it doesn't seem to be a 'Treasure' game (which makes sense when you learn about the development history behind it).

Sixfortyfive said:

Silpheed on Sega CD had amazing graphics for the time, with its all-prerendered 3d CG backdrops... the gameplay is mostly average vertical shooting, but it is still pretty fun, I'd say, and the graphics are quite impressive for the system. It's hard, though, and quite long. But still, good game.

Since I did like the Sega CD one, now that I have a PS2 I want the followup.

Trouble Shooter Vintage / Battle Mania Daisomethingsomething did get a very comprehensive fan-translation, though. Even has a toggle between original Japanese, literal English translation (in which it follows Japanese continuity), and loose English interpretation (in which it follows US continuity). I think it was done by some guy/group called MIJET. Pretty sweet stuff.

Yeah, I know about the translation patch and it's great that it's there, for sure, given that like the first one the game has a story you want to be able to understand (the stories in both games are pretty funny... :)), but an actual cart release is always even better.

ghibli99

RyanDG said:
It's not a great game by any means, but I enjoyed it enough. And plus, it's one of a rare handful of early PS2 games that have actually aged really well over the years...

I think the biggest problem a lot of people have with the game is the fact that it doesn't seem to be a 'Treasure' game (which makes sense when you learn about the development history behind it).
Not sure about the US version, but the thing I couldn't stand was that the import had some really bad slowdown, and it seemed to happen at times where you were like, "Why is there slowdown here?"

But I agree that it's a good game. The "proximity" multiplier system was pretty simplistic, but it was addicting enough, especially on faster/trickier-moving enemies.

Oneself

Sixfortyfive said:

I guess people were expecting a new Radiant Silvergun or something. It's missing Treasure's amazing bossfights and it never gets really really hard, but they stayed true to Silpheed. And seriously, it's an amazing game.

Oh and the US version is the best. Most slowdown and small glitches were fixed.

Oneself said:
I guess people were expecting a new Radiant Silvergun or something. It's missing Treasure's amazing bossfights and it never gets really really hard, but they stayed true to Silpheed. And seriously, it's an amazing game.

Oh and the US version is the best. Most slowdown and small glitches were fixed.

Silpheed's main attraction was the levels, not the bosses. The bosses were kind of small and didn't take that long to beat... it was all the scenery you flew past on the way there that was the main attraction, along with the shooting.

Oneself

A Black Falcon said:
Silpheed's main attraction was the levels, not the bosses. The bosses were kind of small and didn't take that long to beat... it was all the scenery you flew past on the way there that was the main attraction, along with the shooting.

Exactly, that's why I said Treasure stayed true to Silpheed. I'm sure you'll like it, a lot.

Oneself said:
Exactly, that's why I said Treasure stayed true to Silpheed. I'm sure you'll like it, a lot.

It was funny how in the first level the voice said "My god, look at the size of that thing!" before you reached the boss, though, and then you saw that it was only a few times the size of your ship while in the background massive battleships had been passing by and getting shot at... :)

... and isn't it amazing that despite all that voice acting from the various pilots, you never actually see any of the others in the game, you just hear their voices? :D

Oneself

A Black Falcon said:
.. and isn't it amazing that despite all that voice acting from the various pilots, you never actually see any of the others in the game, you just hear their voices? :D

:lol yeah, same thing on PS2

kazuo

SEGA has, amazingly, won back a tiny amount of the massive respect I once had for it.

Keep this up and we'll love you again SEGA, just as much as we used to back in the day.

All I need to hear now is that they're making a sequel to "Gaiares" or something equally ridiculous (Gleylancer?), and I'm all over it.

Top Bottom