• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIL Canada is less multi-cultural than the United States

If he's talking about Scarborough, it has a population close to 700k. Additionally, it's diversity is extremely high, as in, those foreign born are from all over:

That 'white' is also a simplification.

I live in Richmond Hill, but yes, Scarborough is much more diverse.

Looking at these graphs, it strikes me how "Filipino" gets its own slice of the pie. Mexicans get lumped under "Hispanic" and Indians/Pakistanis/Nepalese get lumped under "South Asians" but a small insignificant archipelago with 100 million inhabitants (not counting diaspora) gets its own designation. Filipinos are South-East Asian btw, but they don't get to join that party. "Chinese" at least makes sense since they make up like 1/5 of the world population.

Disclosure: am Filipino.

It's because Filipino is the third biggest source of immigration to Canada, after Chinese and Indian. Actually, nowadays, I think it is the number one source.

http://canadaimmigrants.com/canada-immigration-by-source-country-2015/

Brinbe

lmao seriously, there's a shitload of Filipinos in Toronto. And Toronto is easily the most diverse place on Earth.

St. James Town is often thought as ”the world within a block". It is mostly a so-called minority community, largely filled with immigrants — especially those who arrived in the 1990s. The ten most common languages in the neighbourhood, after English, are:
Tagalog – 8.1%
Tamil – 5.5%
Unspecified Chinese – 2.5%
Mandarin – 2.5%
Korean – 1.9%
Spanish – 1.8%
Russian – 1.8%
Serbian – 1.4%
Bengali – 1.4%
Urdu – 1.4%

Not even really close. Even the BBC knows what's up https://theculturetrip.com/north-am...-most-diverse-city-in-the-world-by-bbc-radio/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03v1r1p

The Lamp

lol
You may want to ask someone from a minority group what they think of that crock of shit before dropping the mic with some propaganda your elementary school teacher brainwashed you into believing.

What he's saying is true for the entirety of the GTA (population 6 million), not just one suburb.

I am a Hispanic. I immigrated to the US. What crock of shit? What I said was factual. The US is comprised of descendants of colonists and immigrants and slaves, and its no wonder the US is a racial melting pot and is influenced by many cultures. Particularly here in Texas, we have German, French, African, Hispanic, and Asian influences on our cuisines and cultures and languages, and we have racial/ethnic diversity as demonstrated by the demographic statistics I linked to you, which support the premise of this thread: of fucking course the US is racially diverse. Sorry you didn't understand what I said.

TheExodu5

Banned
Best I can do quickly.

Visible Minorities
Code:
Canada (2011)              United States (2010)
-------------------        -------------------
White         76.7%        White         72.4%
South Asian    4.8%        Black         12.6%
Aboriginal     4.3%        Asian          4.8%
Chinese        4.0%        Aboriginal     1.1%
Black          2.9%        Other          9.1% 
Other          7.3%

Languages
Code:
Canada (2011)          United States (2015)
----------------       --------------------
English    56.9%       English (only) 78.5%
French     21.3%       Spanish        13.3%
Other      19.8%       Other           8.2%

Kind of says it all.

The US is more ethnically diverse, while Canada is more multi-cultural.

um, duh?

we have one super multicural city here, Toronto, other than that.... bunch of white folks [except Vancouver, where there's plenty of Chinese, but that's about it].
Vancouver's more varied than that, especially outside of downtown. The percentage of brown (South Asian) people isn't that much smaller than Toronto's when considering the metro areas. And the East Asian population is from all over that part of the world, not just China. There has been a notable increase of African and Middle Eastern immigrants in the suburbs of Burnaby/New Westminster in recent years, too.

Top Bottom