• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Allen Complains About Not Being Able to Use N-Word on 'The View'

Scotty W

Gold Member
I am always amazed that people still get away with using the B-word, but somehow even talking about the N-word is forbidden.

This is funny, because I read the threat at... the other place, and of course it's the worst thing ever, bigot, racist, nazi, you know the usual.

Here is the actual video:

It's such a puffball nothingburger. The View people ASK HIM ABOUT IT. He's not COMPLAINING, he's answering their question.

It's funny they even mention how people take things out of context online & twitter and it blows up and he says "I'm surprised they haven't already!" El Oh El.

Holy shit he turned into David Carradine

Mista

Banned
Why do people want so badly to use that word? I’ve never gotten the urge to say it.
The thing is when your black friends says it to you all the time and tells you “Hey, you’re ma nigga so it’s okay to say it to me” .. I still don’t though, there’re other words I use to let you know that you’re my g <<<< that’s one of the them

trikster40

Sidebar: In the article, they talk about Allen defending old tweets. The word Tweets is a hyperlink, so, assuming it takes you to his old tweets to see what they said, I click it.

It doesn’t take you to Tim Allen’s Twitter feed. It takes you to some random persons tweet calling him racist.

Birdo

Banned
As an outsider to American culture, I've always found your relationship with the "N-word" really odd.

I can't imagine not being able to say a word, even without context. It's almost surreal.

I like your approach but the problem is that not everyone adopts it. There’s no consistent rule set and it’s therefore impossible to apply at the macro scale. For example, remember last year when Kendrick invited a young white girl on stage to sing with him then stopped and shamed her when she sang the trigger word which he wrote into the lyrics? As you suggest, that’s completely harmless and the context should negate the impact, but that’s not what happened in reality.

In my view, if black culture wants to be mainstream (it clearly does) and accept the influence and money that come with it, it has to give up the claim to victim status and the associated trigger words. It is completely unfair that the word can be written into a song that goes on to make millions of dollars only for the artist to turn around and shame a subset of fans for participating based solely on their race.

What do billionaires Kendrick Lamar or Jay Z have in common with a black slave from the 1800s? Absolutely nothing, so why do they get to cash in on the victim status earned through the actual oppression experienced by the slave? Would a recent immigrant from say Nigeria or Ethiopia with zero ties whatsoever to US slavery be given a pass? Why?

You missed the part where racists use the word to inflict harm on black people, daily, from slavery, until this day, and probably 100 years from now too.

White people don't get impacted by the word.

So overall of course Kendrick is far from the oppression of a slave, but that's not what is required to have skin in the game.

I'm not about to tell the black race what to do, but nigga is apart of the cultural mainstream, so people will use it because it's cool, quite frankly, and is often used hilariously, and so people will mimic it.

But there's a fine line, racists ruin everything I guess.

This isn't new to anyone, be mindful of how you use it around black people is the survivalist rule.

Last edited:
The word is forbidden and will get you socially ostracized for the rest of your life and dissuade employers from hiring you.

Somehow I don't think that's fighting racism so much as massively overcompensating and adding yet more fuel to the 1984 fire which is already burning brightly these days.

What would you do, Tim?

....COCAINE?!

Tim-Allen-Mugshot-228x300.jpg

People who take a "principled" stance on being able to say the n word tend to suck ass

Looks like a cool dude I would have fun hanging out with at a bar.

The word is forbidden and will get you socially ostracized for the rest of your life and dissuade employers from hiring you.

Somehow I don't think that's fighting racism so much as massively overcompensating and adding yet more fuel to the 1984 fire which is already burning brightly these days.

True but this goes for so many words. The business world is separate from your personal life. Outside of key select industries, no one can just say that word.

True but this goes for so many words. The business world is separate from your personal life. Outside of key select industries, no one can just say that word.
If you say the word even in your personal life, as long as it's recorded, it will destroy your chance in the business world as well, and get you fired.

There are no other words with this much power in current year. Except the infamous homosexual slur.

If you say the word even in your personal life, as long as it's recorded, it will destroy your chance in the business world as well, and get you fired.

There are no other words with this much power in current year. Except the infamous homosexual slur.

Yeah there are. You basically can't say anything racist, homosexual, sexist or offensive in the business world. Certain industries have different standards. If I went on Twitter and said "fuck you motherfuckers" and my boss saw that, my ass is grass. But maybe a journalist could get away with that, like they can get away with anti-trump stuff.

lil puff

N word usage is the definition of rules for thee but not for me. I don't have much respect for anyone who uses it publicly. Have some class.
One time I was on the subway and these 3 Indian (?) teens were using it like every other word.

I was thinking got damn dudes you are trying way too hard.

I glanced at them real quick and they got so silent you could hear a needle drop between them.

Yeah there are. You basically can't say anything racist, homosexual, sexist or offensive in the business world. Certain industries have different standards. If I went on Twitter and said "fuck you motherfuckers" and my boss saw that, my ass is grass. But maybe a journalist could get away with that, like they can get away with anti-trump stuff.
Of course businesses don't want to hire racists or any other scumbags. But the N word and "faggot" have far broader consequences than any other words at this point, beyond just the business world, *and* make you national news.

Saying "cunt" or any other word you can think of simply doesn't afford that kind of power.

Of course businesses don't want to hire racists or any other scumbags. But the N word and "faggot" have far broader consequences than any other words at this point, beyond just the business world, *and* make you national news.

Saying "cunt" or any other word you can think of simply doesn't afford that kind of power.

People get on the national news for saying sexist things for sure. I agree with your point that the N word is a powerful word, but lots of things will get you in trouble too.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly, this whole argument really annoys the shit out of me.

Intent and context has to count or its basically taboo and dogma. The N-word is not a thing I particularly want to use. but it bothers me that I feel like I'm indoctrinated into operating as if using the word under any context or circumstance is innately shameful and transgressive.

I despise the sense that I'm being controlled.

I choose not to use the word because I have no issue with PoC and I really would never want to offend or hurt a member of that community needlessly. However when I instinctively check or censure myself from saying it, when there is literally noone else around and I'm simply enunciating the word as part of a quotation or lyric, Its depressing.

Especially because the "control" is specifically a taboo on speech, not thought.

N-word, N-bomb, Wigga. whatever is used euphemistically, its simply an externalized substitution for the thought of that word. The word lives on in our minds, because it is in truth a real thing out in the world.

The whole concept of black folks reclaiming the word for their own exclusive use is fine. However it needs to be understood by all that regardless of whether its conceptualized as ending with a soft "A" or a hard "ER", we all know what that represents in our minds. And the thought must precede the word.

If we want that word to go away for real, then everyone needs to stop using it. Everyone. Because at best what's actually happening is that compliance and conformity are being imposed through social pressure. And that demands that the word needs to retain an awful talismanic significance within our minds.

Which in my view is perpetuating the same racist divisions. Its just not helping,

quickwhips

The fact that on the internet you typed out faggot and cunt but not nigger says otherwise. Guys i agree if we want them to go away we all just need to stop saying them but by saying nigger as the n word its giving it more power when a racist fuck says it.

Mistake

If it’s within context and obvious you have no ill intentions, just stop being a pussy and say it

Top Bottom