• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time : The Best RPG of 2015 Is Only Available on the Wii U

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It really doesn't make sense how good this game is.

I didn't think anything would top Fallout 4's exploration but ....wow. Its one thing to just fuck around and not doing anything in a game. Being absolutely captivated while fucking around and not doing anything is something I was never expecting.

Faustek

Hahaha all these salty people here. It trully is epic and a masterclass RPG. Good call TIME.

Hahaha, you salty mofos in this thread.

It's a great game.

To take the bait :)

Yepp the game is great from a game play perspective and even the best if you leave it alone and don't compare it to anything else :) But take a quick look at Darkest Dungeon, Tales of Zestiria just to name 2 others for a different look at things :)

The world is effing great. Spent many hours, still am, just running around. This could be argued to be it's strongest asset if you would compare it to everything else.

The central narrative is bad. No idea to even try and defend it.

The affection quests range from bad to ok. Same here, can't defend it.

Now the only problem I have with this is as I said it in the beginning. He operates as if it exists in a vacuum. It doesn't. That reminds me, I should play some more now :D

Vitacat

Xenoblade X is my pick too. But I admit I haven't played Witcher 3 yet.

Do people consider Bloodborne to be an RPG? I've only watched gameplay vids and it looks like an action hack'n slash to me.

The exploration is completely bonkers but there are a bunch of things that let it down including

• plodding story
  • lack of compelling characters
  • very divisive (mostly bad) soundtrack
  • Tatsu

Depending on what you're looking for you might find and the game is great otherwise you could wind up underwhelmed or disappointed.

Faustek

Xenoblade X is my pick too. But I admit I haven't played Witcher 3 yet.

Do people consider Bloodborne to be an RPG? I've only watched gameplay vids and it looks like an action hack'n slash to me.

Witcher 3 has some if the best quests ever. Side quests that are better than many stories in total but boring ass combat. Imo. But still a great game :) So do side quests. Seriously do them when you start.

The best thing about Xenoblade X is the same thing that's good about Shovel Knight.

Both of them are reminiscent of games from specific eras, but done better than the actual games from those eras. Shovel Knight is a NES Capcom platformer and Xenoblade is a PS2 JRPG. But they both just feel like the games you remember without the clunkiness. They're the way you remember them through the lens of nostalgia, but done better in every way. Features, scale, mechanics, gameplay, all of that.

Pif

Banned
I'll definetely play this when it comes out for NX (if).

The ammount of salt in here escalated quickly.

jblank83

Xenoblade
Bloodborne
Witcher 3
Pillars of Eternity

It's been a great year, no matter where you fall on the "best of" argument.

Vitacat

Its an action rpg. Not a hard concept to grasp.

What exactly are the RPG elements? Is there story, exploration, world building, characters, conversations, stat building, party management etc.?

You say it's an action RPG, but are you sure it's not an action game with RPG elements? Seems like you wander around and kill stuff, get weapons, then repeat. Maybe the videos I saw didn't show the other aspects of the game.

This is good news since I am going to buy XCX but debating if I should get it digital or the disc...
Also I would not count Bloodborne as an rpg...

Ratrat

What exactly are the RPG elements? Is there story, exploration, world building, characters, conversations, stat building, party management etc.?

You say it's an action RPG, but are you sure it's not an action game with RPG elements? Seems like you wander around and kill stuff, get weapons, then repeat. Maybe the videos I saw didn't show the other aspects of the game.
It has all of those except party management which is not even remotely necesary to qualify. If Sony and From Software call it an action rpg then I am fine with the title.

edit: that being said, I can totally agree with the notion that it can be seen as an inferior rpg compared to others this year regardless of its 'overall' quality as a game, due the the rpg elements being lighter.

Oersted

xenoblade-chronicles-x-8.jpg

Killing that beast ... just no.

Finally someone telling that reviews are opinions. Up next, what are videogames. Holding my breath for the next driveby.

Ozium

I like how Time and New Yorker are actually legitimate publications and not your typical "gaming media" that is run by gaming publishers, so they can get away with writing the truth.

jblank83

Bloodborne has a player character that is a collection of skills/stats that "levels" based on experience gained from challenges to those stats (e.g. combat). That's the classic paradigm based on the original RPG, D&D. It's also action based, with outcomes in combat based on both the player's manual dexterity and the character's stats/skills (e.g. a hit based on player dexterity and the outcome of that hit based on the character stats/skills and equipment stats). Ergo it's an "Action-RPG".

None of those other things defines a computer RPG. They're window dressing on the core game mechanics.

jgwhiteus

I've put over 60 hours into it already and still have quite a ways to go, and I've been enjoying it a lot, though there are definitely frustrating aspects. They made some notable improvements over Xenoblade Chronicles (and I absolutely love the addition of Skells), but also made a lot of confusing design decisions that are markedly worse and make it feel like less of a cohesive and polished whole.

Still, really a quality, addictive game - I think the way I'd put it is that it'll probably end up being my game of the year... but the first Xenoblade Chronicles was pretty much my game of the generation.

Riki

The best thing about Xenoblade X is the same thing that's good about Shovel Knight.

Both of them are reminiscent of games from specific eras, but done better than the actual games from those eras. Shovel Knight is a NES Capcom platformer and Xenoblade is a PS2 JRPG. But they both just feel like the games you remember without the clunkiness. They're the way you remember them through the lens of nostalgia, but done better in every way. Features, scale, mechanics, gameplay, all of that.
This post oozes truthiness on an unprecedented level.

Eusis

It's a really, really good year when I couldn't REALLY disagree with many options.

Well, I guess maybe Fallout 4, but even then that's a pretty good mainstream game even if it may not be quite what I want out of an RPG. And frankly other games failed worse in being an RPG I'd want than Fallout 4 did (Final Fantasy XIII most infamously.)

I'd really like to play this as I loved Xenoblade. But there's probably two other games I'm minorly interested in on the WiiU, so I'm in the camp hoping the NX will be backwards compatible to play this.

thats nice, but it's one dude opinion. i rather check gamerankings, and metracritic, and both witcher 3 and bloodborn are way ahead of X, don't care what anybody says most games that are 90+ have been an amazing experience for me, considering how hard it is to get there.

KevinCow

Banned
I wish I liked RPGs, because XCX looks really cool and I'd love to explore that giant world in a flying robot.

But... I kinda hated the first Xenoblade Chronicles, so I doubt I'd enjoy XCX.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sega does what NINTENDON'T

xhhKZfr.gif

but really, XCX is a good game...I just think Yakuza 5 is much better.

Hey can I ask a question, as somebody who isn't familiar with either series?

What exactly is the difference between Yakuza and Shenmue, other than the story? From the outside they seem very similar.

Zomba13

For me it's

Bloodborne ~ Witcher 3
Xenoblade X
Undertale

Fallout 4

I have Pillars of Eternity but not finished it and stopped playing it to play something else and just didn't get back to it. I should because I was enjoying it even though I only really just got to the GAF inn.

That rules. How long does this game take to get going? It's hard to not play just cause right now because it's so easy to get right into.

Gotta commit and finally play this soon, I downloaded all the quicker loading things.

Domaje

thats nice, but it's one dude opinion. i rather check gamerankings, and metracritic, and both witcher 3 and bloodborn are way ahead of X, don't care what anybody says most games that are 90+ have been an amazing experience for me, considering how hard it is to get there.
dude you shold check only 92+ games on metacritic tho, imo 90-91 games arent that amazing experiences

RPGam3r

My order would be:

1. Fallout 4
2. The Witcher 3
3. Xenoblade
4. Dark Souls 2: SotFS
5. Bloodborne

Xenoblade is an excellent game, hard to believe it's on a Wii U at times.

Riki

That rules. How long does this game take to get going? It's hard to not play just cause right now because it's so easy to get right into.

Gotta commit and finally play this soon, I downloaded all the quicker loading things.
You can probably beat chapter 3 in under 10 hours and after that its basically play however you want.
Though for the most part you can explore almost anywhere pretty early.

Zornack

My order would be:

1. Fallout 4
2. The Witcher 3
3. Xenoblade
4. Dark Souls 2: SotFS
5. Bloodborne

Xenoblade is an excellent game, hard to believe it's on a Wii U at times.

Hah, my list of those 5 games would be exactly flipped. Whatever the case it's been a great year for RPG fans.

StevieP

Banned

Reviews are one dude's opinion too. Poor ninjablade

'Story, world building, conversations and characters' aren't really requirements for something to qualify as an RPG. The earliest RPG's basically had non-existent stories and while jRPG's have always had plenty of story focus, it's almost always non-interactive, so no different from the likes of Uncharted.

You don't need to control a party for something to be an RPG, and Bloodborne has stat building.

Cramoss

It's a fantastic RPG. If it wasn't for Witcher 3 (which has way worse gameplay and RPG meta-game), this would've been my favorite of this year.

Also, Bloodborne an RPG? lol

It's an action adventure game with some RPG elements imho.

OuterLimits

The Wii U may not have a very large library, but it certainly has some damn good quality titles. Before this year I would have said it was a good but not great system. Splatoon and Xenoblade have changed my opinion though.

jblank83

5-10 hours, depending on how familiar you are with Xenoblade.

Top Bottom