• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to Dump Time Zones (NYT Op-ed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cress2000

Eh. I'm for objectivity and all but doing this seems counterproductive. You lose all sense of context of another person's local time when it's spoken about unless they feel like giving you more details.

2am is intuitively seen as early in the morning everywhere. That is a fact. But if it's 2am for everyone around the world how do you know if it's day or night there without them having make things more complicated with extra details?

What I do think needs to be dumped however, is the "daylight savings" crap.

Dreavus

na, I like sleeping at night time.

They're not suggesting that. Your day to day timing relative to the sun would be unchanged, but the time on the clock would be the same everywhere. So somewhere someone eats their breakfast at 8pm because that's where it lines up with the universal time.

Don't get me wrong, it's a horrible idea, but I doesn't mean you'd be suddenly working at night or anything like that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Eh. I'm for objectivity and all but doing this seems counterproductive. You lose all sense of context of another person's local time when it's spoken about unless they feel like giving you more details.

2am is intuitively seen as early in the morning everywhere. That is a fact. But if it's 2am for everyone around the world how do you know if it's day or night there without them having make things more complicated with extra details?

What I do think needs to be dumped however, is the "daylight savings" crap.

Completely agree with this. Dump Daylight Savings, keep the time zones.

jstripes

Banned
baffled how people in this thread think that by going by this time system somehow they sun and moon would be up for everyone at the same time

YWUedJK.jpg

DiscoJer

With Daylight Savings, it's light at like 4:30 in the morning where I live in the summer time (and it gets dark at 9 pm or so). Without it, it would be like 3:30 am and 8 pm..

What's the point of having light when most people are asleep?

If anything, we should keep Daylight savings year round, then have an extra daylights saving in the summer. So it gets light at 5:30 and gets dark at 10 pm.

GamerJM

Banned
I feel like there's too much infrastructure in place supporting time zones right now. It'd be even harder than the US switching to metric.

cress2000

With Daylight Savings, it's light at like 4:30 in the morning where I live in the summer time (and it gets dark at 9 pm or so). Without it, it would be like 3:30 am and 8 pm..

What's the point of having light when most people are asleep?

If anything, we should keep Daylight savings year round, then have an extra daylights saving in the summer. So it gets light at 5:30 and gets dark at 10 pm.

I'm trying to understand why this should be a government mandated thing. People can also adjust their schedules as they see fit. It's not hard.

Regiruler

No, and we should keep daylight savings too. An extra hour of daylight makes days better, and there's nothing like waking before the sum rises.

Lebon14

Let us all — wherever and whenever — live on what the world’s timekeepers call Coordinated Universal Time, or U.T.C. (though “earth time” might be less presumptuous). When it’s noon in Greenwich, Britain, let it be 12 everywhere. No more resetting the clocks. No more wondering what time it is in Peoria or Petropavlovsk. Our biological clocks can stay with the sun, as they have from the dawn of history. Only the numerals will change, and they have always been arbitrary.

Some mental adjustment will be necessary at first. Every place will learn a new relationship with the hours. New York (with its longitudinal companions) will be the place where people breakfast at noon, where the sun reaches its zenith around 4 p.m., and where people start dinner close to midnight. (“Midnight” will come to seem a quaint word for the zero hour, where the sun still shines.) In Sydney, the sun will set around 7 a.m., but the Australians can handle it; after all, their winter comes in June.

The human relationship with time changed substantially with the arrival of modernity — trains and telegraphs and wristwatches all around — and we can see it changing yet again in our globally networked era. We should synchronize our watches for real.
As someone that works on an international team, I would love this.

Timekeeping in man made construct, we can change it to meet our needs. Remember, clocks didn't even have a minute hand until recently in human history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/opinion/sunday/time-to-dump-time-zones.html

Wait what. I don't get it. I can't wrap my head around it. It just doesn't work >.<

No thanks, it's perfectly fine the way it is.

This.

This is totally dumb and wouldn't work anyway. Work days are dictated by the visibility of the sun, not by the absolute rotation of the earth, so you'd end up with arbitrary longitudinally defined working hours which is basically time zones anyway. This time though, instead of simply remembering "oh the pacific areas are 2 hours behind" you have to remember "oh pacific-er's eat lunch at 10 am and are asleep by 9"

CloudWolf

What would this change exactly? The abolition of time zones wouldn't stop it from being midnight in one place while it's day in another. If anything, it would make things more confusing for just about everyone in the world.

Fusebox

Banned
Sounds like an absolutely absurd and terrible scenario to me.

And I work with my international teams too, we don't get confused by time zones and miss teleconferences because we aren't morons who can't do basic math.

Joni

I think it can work if you force Americans to work in the middle of the night and sleep during the day.

Munti

I didn't read the whole thread but I think this idea has many problems.

Sure, it would be great to know what time it is on the whole world. But let's say I want to phone someone from a different part of the world, I have then to know at what time it is appropriate to phone this person. Not that I phone him in the middle of the night. Or I want to fly on the other side of earth and want to know if I will arrive there when it's day or night. Or on vacation, you will maybe ask the whole time: "Is it now the time where you go out for lunch here? If yes don't forget to go to dinner in 6 hours from now on". I thing that makes things much more complicated and you have to know for each destination where the sun lies at what time.

I'm ok with the system we have now

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This is stupid even for the stated reason (international co-ordination) Say you do need to contact someone in a distant time zone. Instead of looking up the time in Germany (you would already know that) you would have to look up if people are awake or asleep or at work or god knows what at this specific time.

that is decidedly harder than oh it's noon there "I'll wait till after their lunch break. "

Terrible idea. Instead of dealing with time zones you would have to deal with explicitly learning times of day for every single place on earth to understand context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom